In the song "F*** the World", he observes:

"You can fall off,
or stay ballin',
nig**s we all-in,
and then my motherf***kers callin'.
F*** the world."

BusterStacks
12-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Thankfully, he was also into getting shot.

Asufiji2004
12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an a**hole.

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an a**hole.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, how dare you make fun of someone with "Thug Life" and an AK-47 tatooed on his chest.

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an a**hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking things a bit personally eh? Tupac sucks.

I bet he was a fish.

TheJunkyardGod
12-28-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Priceless reply.

Also, Biggie > Tupac

kirisim
12-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Also, I believe Jay-Z was once heard to say:

"Yes, y'all.
Jigga Man be callin'.
Get the best of you
Whenever I put my all-in."

I take this to mean: He has seen through his opponents' bluff, and made a tough call for all his chips.

Vince Young
12-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Biggie sucked too.

Big L > Biggie + Pac

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Biggie sucked too.

Big L > Biggie + Pac

[/ QUOTE ]wrong.

Vince Young
12-28-2004, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Biggie sucked too.

Big L > Biggie + Pac

[/ QUOTE ]wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Biggie sucked too.

Big L > Biggie + Pac

[/ QUOTE ]wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
clearly you are more wrong.

-Syk-
12-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Tupac and Biggie both suck.

Vince Young
12-28-2004, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Biggie sucked too.

Big L > Biggie + Pac

[/ QUOTE ]wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
clearly you are more wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously not.

Big L > Snoop, also.

thatpfunk
12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Big L much, much better than Biggie. Biggie better than 2pac.

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 11:20 PM
gayer
vince young > everything else, ever.

TheJunkyardGod
12-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Oh please. Big L was great, but he didnt compare to Biggie's style.

Noone does.

David04
12-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Yeah right....L>Pac and Biggie, no question. Lyrical genius.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
gayer

[/ QUOTE ]
It's ok, not like you're losing credibility. No one takes you serious since you stated that Snoop Dogg was currently the best rapper.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Noone does.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares about style? L's lyrics and flow were flawless compared to Biggie and Pac, and he wasn't even the best rapper ever.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gayer

[/ QUOTE ]
It's ok, not like you're losing credibility. No one takes you serious since you've stated that Snoop Dogg was currently the best rapper.

[/ QUOTE ]here is what I want you to do. Please go find precisely where I said Snoop is the best rapper. let me know when you find something.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gayer

[/ QUOTE ]
It's ok, not like you're losing credibility. No one takes you serious since you've stated that Snoop Dogg was currently the best rapper.

[/ QUOTE ]here is what I want you to do. Please go find precisely where I said Snoop is the best rapper. let me know when you find something.

[/ QUOTE ]
You said he was your favorite, and if your favorite isn't the same as who you think is the best, you're a moron.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gayer

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You said he was your favorite, and if your favorite isn't the same as who you think is the best, you're a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]you are even dumber than I thought.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Noone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, making up random lies about your involvement with murder and drugs is such a great style.

Biggie sucked. Big L's style destroys him.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Noone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, making up random lies about your involvement with murder and drugs is such a great style.

[/ QUOTE ]
name one rapper that doesn't do this?

EliteNinja
12-29-2004, 12:55 AM
You can't spell 'crap' without 'rap'.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Noone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
name one rapper that doesn't do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You are a moron. Name a rapper who didn't make up 100% of the things he raps about in his songs, which he attempts to pass off as fact? Hmmm.. I could go on forever, but since I'm busy at the moment I'll only quote one person. How about Eminem?

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Name a rapper who didn't make up 100% of the things he raps about in his songs, which he attempts to pass off as fact?

[/ QUOTE ] dude, before you overreact again, I know what you are saying, but what I meant with less hyperbole is every rapper boasts and brags and embelishes, thats the whole part of the rapper persona. Its essence is about one-upmanship.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gayer

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]you are even dumber than I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain why Snoop is your favorite rapper if you don't think he's the best.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Name a rapper who didn't make up 100% of the things he raps about in his songs, which he attempts to pass off as fact?

[/ QUOTE ] dude, before you overreact again, I know what you are saying, but what I meant with less hyperbole is every rapper boasts and brags and embelishes, thats the whole part of the rapper persona. Its essence is about one-upmanship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, you're an idiot. If you honestly cannot tell the difference between outright lying and a rapper who "boasts and brags" than you should end yourself immediately.

Snoop being your favorite rapper gives me an idea of how much of a dork you are. He hasn't had a decent album since his debut.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Okay, look, about this whole rap thing.

Big L is the greatest freestyle rapper of all time. His freestyle just destroys everything in its path.

Big L's written rhymes are good but he produced a relatively small body of work and it was limited in scope and style.

Biggie is the greatest lyricist of all time. His stories, his variety of flows, his humor mixed with gangsta-isms, etc. If you don't see the difference between freestyle/battle raps and lyricism, I really can't respect your opinion on hip-hop. Sorry.

Tupac was a great rapper and those who say he sucks (but still claim to like hip-hop) are flaming idiots. I have addressed this topic in the past but suffice it to say that the first person to claim that some unknown backpacker rapping over laptop beats is better than all three of these guys deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

So, to recap,
Biggie = G.O.A.T.
Big L = greatest freestyle ever
Tupac = hall of famer for sure, some think he's the greatest

NT

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 01:11 AM
BECAUSE I ENJOY LISTENING TO HIS MUSIC.

My opinion on who the best are, ever. As if I even have to list them,
Biggie
Nas
Jay-Z
Big L
Ghostface
Andre 3000

I hate listening to you fags that think if someone is pop that they then suck, seriously get your damn head out of your backpacking hip hop snobbery asses.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 01:12 AM
excellent post.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] let use another example to get through to you. Dumb and Dumber may very well be my favorite comedy, but I know its not the best comedy ever, which is fine, but I still will always like dumb and dumber.

balkii
12-29-2004, 01:14 AM
LMAO that there is actually a discussion involving the terms "best rapper ever," "Biggie," and "Big L"

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate listening to you fags that think if someone is pop that they then suck, seriously get your damn head out of your backpacking hip hop snobbery asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate listening to complete idiots. This includes you, champ.

[ QUOTE ]

Big L is the greatest freestyle rapper of all time. His freestyle just destroys everything in its path.

Big L's written rhymes are good but he produced a relatively small body of work and it was limited in scope and style.

Biggie is the greatest lyricist of all time. His stories, his variety of flows, his humor mixed with gangsta-isms, etc. If you don't see the difference between freestyle/battle raps and lyricism, I really can't respect your opinion on hip-hop. Sorry.

Tupac was a great rapper and those who say he sucks (but still claim to like hip-hop) are flaming idiots. I have addressed this topic in the past but suffice it to say that the first person to claim that some unknown backpacker rapping over laptop beats is better than all three of these guys deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

So, to recap,
Biggie = G.O.A.T.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell does the best freestyle rapper mean? Big L didn't even freestyle. And Jesus Christ did you really just say gangsta-isms? You have to be kidding me. Biggie is so overrated. So is Pac. His songs are repetitive as hell.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What the hell does the best freestyle rapper mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big L didn't even freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I hate listening to complete idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, its to bad you don't realize who the idiot here is.

balkii
12-29-2004, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Biggie
Nas
Jay-Z
Big L
Ghostface
Andre 3000

[/ QUOTE ]

wow have you ever even listened to any hip hop thats not on BET/MTV? (and trust me I hate the backpacker [censored] as much as you do)

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What the hell does the best freestyle rapper mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big L didn't even freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I hate listening to complete idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, its to bad you don't realize who the idiot here is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I freestyle battle in real life and have all of Big L's albums? He wasn't a "freestyle rapper", buddy. He was more of a punchline-comedic rapper. He didn't freestyle. You lose.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] let use another example to get through to you. Dumb and Dumber may very well be my favorite comedy, but I know its not the best comedy ever, which is fine, but I still will always like dumb and dumber.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because you don't think it's the most brilliant made comedy doesn't mean you don't think it's the best.

Definition of best: most desirable.

Obviously, you think Dumb and Dumber and Snoop Dogg are the best if they're your favorites. It's not like sports teams, when it comes to movies and music, you naturally like what you think is best.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Biggie
Nas
Jay-Z
Big L
Ghostface
Andre 3000

[/ QUOTE ]

wow have you ever even listened to any hip hop thats not on BET/MTV? (and trust me I hate the backpacker [censored] as much as you do)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the obvious answer is no.

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 01:24 AM
I hope this doesn't end in a bloody shoot-out.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell does the best freestyle rapper mean? Big L didn't even freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm going to be super patient here.

'Best freestyle rapper' means the rapper who is best at rapping without writing in advance, using an existing vocabulary of words and phrases but combining them in new ways or working new concepts in. Do freestyles have lines that get repeated? Yes. But to say that Big L didn't freestyle is like saying that Michael Jordan didn't dunk. I have a load of unreleased freestyles as well as live radio appearances and mix tape releases from Big L, and they are dope.

The reason there is a distinction between 'best freestyle' and 'best lyricist' is because the arena of freestyle and battle rap tends to favor bombastic superlatives, punchlines, hyper-machismo, threats, etc to an even greater degree than mainstream rap, and certainly far more than a lot of underground or 'conscious' rap. There have been rappers who are widely recognized as excellent freestyle or battle rappers but failed to gain much notoriety in the mainstream hip-hop world or make great albums, because a great album requires more lyrical and stylistic sophistication and diversity. Examples of this would be Canibus or Supernatural among others.

Big L, while being a great freestyle rapper, was also no slouch in the studio, but his limited body of work and untimely death prevented him IMHO from realizing his full potential in the latter field.

And yes, I said 'gangsta-isms,' because a large part of popular hip-hop in the past decade has been influenced by gang themes and topics, etc. What made Biggie popular to a wide variety of audiences, including many people in the projects and poor neighborhoods where hip-hop originated and is most popular, is that he blended the 'thug life' themes that are a pre-requisite for many listeners with humor and light-heartedness that made him more accessible to other listeners.

Do you actually own any Biggie or Tupac albums? Ask just about any rapper alive if Biggie or Pac were great rappers and see what they say.

Who, by the way, do you think is so much better than these guys? Put down the hater-ade and discuss.

NT

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope this doesn't end in a bloody shoot-out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mr. Backpacker, you gonna let them insult you?

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm not getting involved in this debate. However,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
is completely wrong. Desirable qualities are subjective to an individual. When judging what is "the best," you must assess things objectively.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He wasn't a "freestyle rapper", buddy. He was more of a punchline-comedic rapper. He didn't freestyle. You lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you think you are a rapper doesn't make you any less wrong about this.

NT

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not getting involved in this debate. However,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
is completely wrong. Desirable qualities are subjective to an individual. When judging what is "the best," you must assess things objectively.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not when it comes to music, movies, etc. It's not like sports, when your favorite team could be the Chicago Bulls or Bears, even though they're not the best.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:30 AM
Alright, I realize you're all poker players and know absolutely nothing about rap/hip hop in general... but you all need to be shot.

When the title of the song says "Freestyle" that means it's not an album cut. That does NOT mean he is making the lyrics up as he goes along. Such as '98 Freestyle which appeared on his lackluster "album" they tossed together after he died. That is not an actual freestyle. Big L was not a freestyle rapper. I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Absolutely wrong.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:32 AM
And WOW @ calling Canibus a freestyler. This debate is mind boggling. The sheer stupidity of some of you is amazing.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Biggie
Nas
Jay-Z
Big L
Ghostface
Andre 3000

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]sigh, I am really not going to do this again. I think those that I have discussed with on here about rap music know what I like. I don't need to defend anything. you guys win I guess. I am to tired to do this again.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 01:36 AM
Wow, thanks for being so courteous and explaining your own position so thoroughly...

There are plenty of non-album cuts that are not labeled freestyles, they appear on mix-tapes or compilations, etc. I have never heard of this distinction you are proposing, every time I have ever heard a rapper say he is 'freestyling' he means he is going off the dome. Now, do a lot of rappers claim they are freestyling when they are spitting a written? Sure.

But, anyway, there is a distinction between what you call a 'freestyle' and what would qualify as an album cut, please refer to my earlier post on this subject. Thus the (potential) distinction between a freestyle or battle rapper and a 'writer' stands in my book. Or do you disagree?

Again, I urge you to point us to the pinnacle of hip-hop understanding that we have so clearly missed. And please don't shoot me.

NT

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, thanks for being so courteous and explaining your own position so thoroughly...

There are plenty of non-album cuts that are not labeled freestyles, they appear on mix-tapes or compilations, etc. I have never heard of this distinction you are proposing, every time I have ever heard a rapper say he is 'freestyling' he means he is going off the dome. Now, do a lot of rappers claim they are freestyling when they are spitting a written? Sure.

But, anyway, there is a distinction between what you call a 'freestyle' and what would qualify as an album cut, please refer to my earlier post on this subject. Thus the (potential) distinction between a freestyle or battle rapper and a 'writer' stands in my book. Or do you disagree?

Again, I urge you to point us to the pinnacle of hip-hop understanding that we have so clearly missed. And please don't shoot me.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that Big L is not a freestyle rapper. Canibus is not a freestyle rapper. Big L and Canibus aren't known at all for freestyling. Juice and Supernatural are, yes, but not Bis or Big L.

And to answer your earlier question, I own or have owned almost all of Tupac's albums. Then I turned 10 and realized he's incredibly mediocre and overrated. I only presently own one of Biggie's albums, and have heard all of them.

Please don't attempt to explain freestyling to me when you have no idea what the eff you're talking about..

-Syk-

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And please don't shoot me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on! Like House of Pain is gonna do anything!

Bobby Digital
12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'Best freestyle rapper' means the rapper who is best at rapping without writing in advance, using an existing vocabulary of words and phrases but combining them in new ways or working new concepts in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Biggie do everything in his head? By this logic I think he would be a pretty good "freestyle rapper." Also judging by that "Fade to Black" movie Hov doesn't write anything down either.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:43 AM
^No, he didn't.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'Best freestyle rapper' means the rapper who is best at rapping without writing in advance, using an existing vocabulary of words and phrases but combining them in new ways or working new concepts in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Biggie do everything in his head? By this logic I think he would be a pretty good "freestyle rapper." Also judging by that "Fade to Black" movie Hov doesn't write anything down either.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, he prints out lyrics of Biggie and Pac and repeats them.

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Not when it comes to music, movies, etc. It's not like sports, when your favorite team could be the Chicago Bulls or Bears, even though they're not the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

When judging this type of stuff and art in general, everybody must decide upon objective qualities to judge by. For instance, for music, some might involve originality, flow, variety of lyrics, etc.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Ok dude. I really want you to actually explain something to me rather than just be nasty to me. If 'freestyling' is not going off the dome, or if Big L is not known for freestyling, is he lying when he says he is doing this, or am I missing something, or are you not explaining your terms thoroughly, or what? By the end of your next post I want to know what I am so wrong about because you haven't made it clear to me at all. If you don't then I will just have to assume you are one of those people who hears something he doesn't like and becomes incredibly nasty for no reason.

I know a lot of people who like Big L, several of whom are signed rappers, and none of them have ever responded with such vitriolic attacks when I said I thought Big L was a great freestyler. In fact, they agreed with me. So please correct me and them.

And, again, tell me who you like so that I may be enlightened. Because I've listened to a lot more hip-hop and a much greater variety than you would like to believe.

If you start telling me that Aesop Rock and Atmosphere are the greatest I'm going cry...

NT

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 01:52 AM
I thought I already had. And sorry if I seem super rude, I'm just annoyed easily.

-Big L did not freestyle
-He didn't ever claim his songs titled "Freestyle" were thought of as he went along like a true freestyle
-Canibus does not freestyle, he writes his songs.

Do you think '98 Freestyle from The Big Picture is actually being made up as he goes along? It's not. I like Big L. He is a good rapper. He's just not a freestyle rapper.

Aesop Rock is terrible. Atmosphere have some good songs. I don't listen to much nerd rap.

Congrats on knowing lots of signed rappers though.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Let me just chime in and say I agree with brassnuts about the distinction in 'best' vs. 'favorite.'

There are things we like, and there are things we recognize as awe-inspiring. Those awe-inspiring things often earn the distinction of 'best' even though they cannot be taken in with the frequency of things we merely 'like.'

For instance, the best meal I ever had was a very rich rack of lamb with scalloped potatoes, a bottle of expensive wine, etc. etc. But I could not eat this every day. My favorite food is probably a cheeseburger, but I do not think it is the pinnacle of culinary achievement.

Similarly, even though I think T.S. Eliot may have been the best English language poet of the 20th century, I cannot read his writing every day.

Now, given that popular music is more geared towards immediate consumption and gratification (for the most part, and even to a lesser extent in its outer reaches) the line between 'best' and 'favorite' becomes less clear - but I think it still exists.

However, I do think that Radiohead is the best rock band in the world today, and I listen to them a lot. But that's beside the point.

NT

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When judging this type of stuff and art in general, everybody must decide upon objective qualities to judge by. For instance, for music, some might involve originality, flow, variety of lyrics, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think those would only be the qualities judged by people who care about them when listening to music. I don't think backpackers who only care about complex lyrics and rhyme schemes would judge "the best" based upon anything except that, and I don't think many people who only listen to mainstream would judge them best based on complexity of lyrics at all. I think most people judge what they think is the best based on what they prefer, and that's it. I understand what you're saying though, and I'll stop debating it because that wasn't the point I intended to make in my original post.

Sorry TSC, you lost all credibility when you stated that Snoop was your favorite rapper, not the best. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nothumb
12-29-2004, 01:59 AM
Okay, so who do you like?

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on knowing lots of signed rappers though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thanks, two sure is a lot. I'm expecting some cookies in the mail.

NT

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 02:04 AM
I listen to lot's of stuff. Copywrite, old Jedi Minds, old Eminem, Canibus, Big L, Virtuoso, Chino XL, Tonedeff, Cunninlynguists etc.

Still awaiting your response as to whether or not you believe the '98 Freestyle from The Big Picture is actually him rapping off the dope.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry TSC, you lost all credibility when you stated that Snoop was your favorite rapper, not the best.

[/ QUOTE ] don't hate the playa man. I won't lose any sleep over this. Syk is amusing me.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 02:14 AM
Upon hearing that song I remember thinking "wow, if that is a freestyle, it is simply unbelievable." So I could see how it wouldn't be.

Is this similarly true of tracks floating around like the 7-minute 'unreleased freestyle' featuring Jay-Z? Jay-Z is certainly freestyling on that track (or trying to) and I kind of assumed L was responding in kind. Also when he says things like "I ain't do this in a while" I sort of assume he means freestyling.

Do you see what I mean about the distinction between a battle/freestyle type of rapper (probably more of a 'punchline' type in your book) and an album writer? I guess it's basically like the distinction between a mix-tape rapper and someone with an album.

When you say 'old' Eminem and Jedi Minds, what albums do you mean?

And who do you think is the greatest of all time, if not those already mentioned?

The only time I've heard Copywrite was on the first RJD2 album and I thought he was alright, didn't blow me away. Canibus gets kind of monotonous in my opinion. I'll have to check out some of those other rappers you mentioned.

NT

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also when he says things like "I ain't do this in a while" I sort of assume he means freestyling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. When I hear someone say that, I assume they can't speak English properly. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Upon hearing that song I remember thinking "wow, if that is a freestyle, it is simply unbelievable." So I could see how it wouldn't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this similarly true of tracks floating around like the 7-minute 'unreleased freestyle' featuring Jay-Z? Jay-Z is certainly freestyling on that track (or trying to) and I kind of assumed L was responding in kind. Also when he says things like "I ain't do this in a while" I sort of assume he means freestyling.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a freestyle either. Neither are his other "freestyles" with Children of the Corn.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you see what I mean about the distinction between a battle/freestyle type of rapper (probably more of a 'punchline' type in your book) and an album writer? I guess it's basically like the distinction between a mix-tape rapper and someone with an album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that has 0 importance in this argument.

[ QUOTE ]
When you say 'old' Eminem and Jedi Minds, what albums do you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

-Eminem - SSLP and other old songs
-Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design

[ QUOTE ]
And who do you think is the greatest of all time, if not those already mentioned?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no greatest of all time.

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I've heard Copywrite was on the first RJD2 album and I thought he was alright, didn't blow me away. Canibus gets kind of monotonous in my opinion. I'll have to check out some of those other rappers you mentioned.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Download The High Exhaulted or his new mixtape titled Cruise Control.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that has 0 importance in this argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is relevant to MY argument because I draw a line between those two types when discussing 'greatest' because they involve different skill sets, etc. But it's irrelevent to you since you hate the two most beloved rappers of all time and reject my entire list...

Many of your favorite rappers would disagree with you, but I guess that's not important.

I don't dislike the rappers on your list, but to me, it's like saying that Moby Grape was a better band than Led Zeppelin. But there will always be those people who say things like that.

NT

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many of your favorite rappers would disagree with you, but I guess that's not important.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It really doesn't. Other people's opinions don't influence mine. I don't really hate Biggie and pac, I just think they're overrated.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 02:40 AM
Right, but when you listen to Eminem, especially old Eminem, it's pretty clear that Nas is like a god to him. Or do you not hate Nas? Same with old Jedi Mind, you have to hear that they must have been listening to some Mobb Deep and that kind of [censored] for a long time.

I just hate when people won't acknowledge or appreciate anything that is commercially successful. Like Outkast, I think they are an awesome group and have really done some interesting things with their music. Does it make me ignorant if they're one of my favorite hip-hop acts of 2004? I don't think so. When I read a list like yours, it just sounds like, "Let me be endlessly bitter about pop music and protect myself with my encyclopedic knowledge of hip-hop, but refuse to acknowledge any of the more well-known, commercially successful groups that influenced these rappers that I like so much, and ignore them whenever possible." Maybe you never hear about any famous rappers that influenced all of those people and really just ignore anyone that goes platinum, but it sounds to me like you have a case of bitter underground rapper syndrome.

NT

thatpfunk
12-29-2004, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not a freestyle either. Neither are his other "freestyles" with Children of the Corn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are the know all and end all? Sorry dude, its a freestyle. Your proof is ???

Doesn't matter, freestyle or not, he destroys Jayz.

Violent by Design is incredible. Vinny Paz is hard.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Right, but when you listen to Eminem, especially old Eminem, it's pretty clear that Nas is like a god to him. Or do you not hate Nas? Same with old Jedi Mind, you have to hear that they must have been listening to some Mobb Deep and that kind of [censored] for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Nas. I don't see how you figured Jus Allah or Vinnie Paz' style is influenced by Mobb Deep. Have you even heard Jedi Mind Tricks' music?

[ QUOTE ]
I just hate when people won't acknowledge or appreciate anything that is commercially successful. Like Outkast, I think they are an awesome group and have really done some interesting things with their music. Does it make me ignorant if they're one of my favorite hip-hop acts of 2004?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you're doing is making random assumptions, which are completely retarded. I didn't say anything about the mainstream. I don't have a problem with the mainstream, I just prefer other types of music. I don't care what you listen to.

[ QUOTE ]
When I read a list like yours, it just sounds like, "Let me be endlessly bitter about pop music and protect myself with my encyclopedic knowledge of hip-hop, but refuse to acknowledge any of the more well-known, commercially successful groups that influenced these rappers that I like so much, and ignore them whenever possible." Maybe you never hear about any famous rappers that influenced all of those people and really just ignore anyone that goes platinum, but it sounds to me like you have a case of bitter underground rapper syndrome.[/qupte]

That's because you're an idiot. I'm not ignoring anything. The only thing I'm telling you is that Big L and Canibus aren't freestyle rappers..and their songs with Freestyle in the title do not make them so. That is all.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 02:57 AM
Those aren't freestyles. Blah. I'm done debating FACT with you guys. Believe what you want. And Vinnie Paz sucks.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Nas. I don't see how you figured Jus Allah or Vinnie Paz' style is influenced by Mobb Deep. Have you even heard Jedi Mind Tricks' music?

[ QUOTE ]
I just hate when people won't acknowledge or appreciate anything that is commercially successful. Like Outkast, I think they are an awesome group and have really done some interesting things with their music. Does it make me ignorant if they're one of my favorite hip-hop acts of 2004?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you're doing is making random assumptions, which are completely retarded. I didn't say anything about the mainstream. I don't have a problem with the mainstream, I just prefer other types of music. I don't care what you listen to.

[ QUOTE ]
When I read a list like yours, it just sounds like, "Let me be endlessly bitter about pop music and protect myself with my encyclopedic knowledge of hip-hop, but refuse to acknowledge any of the more well-known, commercially successful groups that influenced these rappers that I like so much, and ignore them whenever possible." Maybe you never hear about any famous rappers that influenced all of those people and really just ignore anyone that goes platinum, but it sounds to me like you have a case of bitter underground rapper syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're an idiot. I'm not ignoring anything. The only thing I'm telling you is that Big L and Canibus aren't freestyle rappers..and their songs with Freestyle in the title do not make them so. That is all.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 03:01 AM
Call me crazy, I hear some Mobb Deep in the structure and tone of their lyrics, if not in the content. They are more on the fake-intellectual bullsiht numerology trip than Mobb Deep, but there is a sort of nonchalant threat in each that to me reminds me of the other. I admit it's definitely a tenuous connection but they have always been vaguely related in my book.

I used to own Violent by Design, as well as the Slim Shady LP, but deleted both because I got tired of them and didn't have much hard drive space.

And, again, I can't make specific assumptions about your tastes but I stand by my general diagnosis.

NT

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And, again, I can't make specific assumptions about your tastes but I stand by my general diagnosis.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're a douche.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:02 AM
your diagnosis is sound too.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your favorite rapper of all time is really Snoop? Like.. honestly?

nothumb
12-29-2004, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's because you're a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, because I think most people who read this thread would probably feel that you are a great big douche. Far greater than myself or even TSC. At least I reserved judgement until after I read several of your posts and tried to be civil.

There's nothing WRONG with liking the same thing as other people. Go ahead, try it some time.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, whats the problem?

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:10 AM
Mobb Deep, Nas, and Outkast all stray from the norm of mainstream in my opinion. I don't dislike mainstream in general because it's popular, but because I don't like the music. Underground rap is not just rap that hasn't been discovered, it's an entirely different style than mainstream rap. I'm sure a lot of people who listen to metal don't like alternative, and vice-versa, even though they're both tied through rock.

-Syk-
[quote
There's nothing WRONG with liking the same thing as other people. Go ahead, try it some time.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is debating this. Your responses are amazingly stupid, though. You assume because I listen to underground I must hate mainstream for no reason. I'm done with this, but the bottom line is this:

-Big L is not a freestyle rapper
-Canibus is not a freestyle rapper
-OutKast sucks now and Andre is a coke head

Check out the Copywrite album, you might like it. Have a good day.

ThaSaltCracka
I can def be a douche, but nothing beats someone who is true backpacking hip hop fan, their doucheness is fiercer than a porn star after a 50 guy gang bang.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:12 AM
I don't understand how someone can like underground hip hop, but dislike mainstream hip hop. I think there is more than enough mainstream hip hop that is both excellent and terrible(just like underground hip hop).

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can def be a douche, but nothing beats someone who is true backpacking hip hop fan, their doucheness is fiercer than a porn star after a 50 guy gang bang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on further demonstrating your stupidity on anything related to this thread. You have no idea what a backpacker is if you think that I am one. Go listen to some No Limit albums.

Edit: It's cute you're still making up random things. I never once said I disliked mainstream. I've said I prefer underground to mainstream, but never said I hate it. I don't care for it. Nothing against mainstream hip hop. Learn to read.

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

So, to recap,
Biggie = G.O.A.T.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion on the subject has now become totally unrespectable.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:15 AM
I have two No Limit albums, both the last two No Limit Snoop albums, thanks though.

and really, you have more the demonstrated that your opinion is meaningless throughout this whole thread.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have two No Limit albums, both the last two No Limit Snoop albums, thanks though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were the albums I was referring to, bud.

[ QUOTE ]
and really, you have more the demonstrated that your opinion is meaningless throughout this whole thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know more than you ever will on the subject.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Okay, again, I am just doing my best to deduce from the very limited information you have given me. I stated that my diagnosis was not perfect but that your persona gives me a general impression.

Let's see, what kind of person tends to be super-nasty to anyone they perceive as a neophyte, jump all over anyone who listens to the most obvious choices, have a list of favorite rappers consisting of the 'old stuff' from popular artists and a few underground rappers who never quite made it, and get super defensive even after you concede that they may know more about you do on the topic at hand...

EDIT: and says things like:
[ QUOTE ]
I know more than you ever will on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

...oh yeah, sounds like a bitter underground rap fan to me.

Forgive me if I'm a little bit unrelenting, I had to blow off some steam after you called me an idiot about 30 times for not knowing if a freestyle off a six year old mix tape was in fact a freestyle or not.

NT

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Same reason people like metal and hate alternative. The music isn't the same. I like plenty of mainstream, though.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Thing is, Vince, a lot of those underground rappers would love to blow up, and tried to at one point or another. There are some that maintain a different style and set of values, but others that don't. I don't think you can draw a complete distinction, you know? It's sort of like the majors and the minors, or college basketball versus pro. Different game, but they feed each other.

IMHO.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:22 AM
Snoop has 3 No Limit CDs, the last two are the only ones that are good. Snoops "Eastsidaz" CD is also very good, especially the first one. Dude, I don't care at all if you dislike Snoop, it means nothing to me.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Thanks for your contribution. At least I'm actually trying to express my opinion on the subject.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Same reason people like metal and hate alternative. The music isn't the same. I like plenty of mainstream, though.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think this is a very good analogy, but whatever. What about some of the "underground" acts that blew up some, like J5 or Dilated Peoples, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Slum Village?

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, again, I am just doing my best to deduce from the very limited information you have given me. I stated that my diagnosis was not perfect but that your persona gives me a general impression.

Let's see, what kind of person tends to be super-nasty to anyone they perceive as a neophyte, jump all over anyone who listens to the most obvious choices, have a list of favorite rappers consisting of the 'old stuff' from popular artists and a few underground rappers who never quite made it, and get super defensive even after you concede that they may know more about you do on the topic at hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given you the information. You are not intelligent enough to comprehend it.

[ QUOTE ]
...oh yeah, sounds like a bitter underground rap fan to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you are seriously annoying me. You are a fukcing idiot. Do you ever think that maybe I listen to the older music of some people because it's very different from there newer stuff? Such as maybe Eminem because his new music is absolutely terrible. Have you heard the new album? It's probably the worst album I've ever heard. It's funny you call me a bitter underground rap fan, when I was a huge fan of Eminem until recently. I've been a fan of him even when he was "mainstream." I don't care if an artist is mainstream or not, it's not a fukcing title I look for that determines wether or not I listen to the artist. It's the music. Once the music is not to my liking, I move on. That is the case with Eminem, Canibus and Jedi Mind Tricks. And what's "not quite making it" to you? Canibus went gold and Jedi Mind Tricks sold over 80K albums with little to no distribution. That's making it in my opinion. Either way, that doesn't mean sh!t to me.

[ QUOTE ]

Forgive me if I'm a little bit unrelenting, I had to blow off some steam after you called me an idiot about 30 times for not knowing if a freestyle off a six year old mix tape was in fact a freestyle or not.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty obvious to anyone who's ever heard a genuine freestyle at least once in their life.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think this is a very good analogy, but whatever. What about some of the "underground" acts that blew up some, like J5 or Dilated Peoples, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Slum Village?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dilated sucks. They're too boring, although Alchemist laces them with some lovely beats. I never got into Mos Def very much. Talib is a genius. Reflection Eternal is an excellent album and I never listened to Slum Village very much.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:28 AM
NT,
Just leave syk alone, we will have to defer to him from now one whenever their is a hip hop thread, he seems to be the resident genius on everything pertaining to rap music, because both of us are idiots.
TSC

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thing is, Vince, a lot of those underground rappers would love to blow up, and tried to at one point or another. There are some that maintain a different style and set of values, but others that don't. I don't think you can draw a complete distinction, you know? It's sort of like the majors and the minors, or college basketball versus pro. Different game, but they feed each other.

IMHO.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, and the style of coaches and players often changes a lot when moving from college to the NBA, wouldn't you say? Also, there are plenty of people who enjoy college basketball/football a lot more than the NBA or NFL(and for the same reasons that people like underground instead of mainstream - college is "for the love", the NBA/NFL is "for the money"). They aren't labeled backpackers, though.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:30 AM
personally,there are very few HUGE hip hop artists I like, I mostly enjoy the "midlevel" cats like Ghostface.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They aren't labeled backpackers, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
backpacker has dozens of meanings.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=backpacker&r=f

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:34 AM
I consider all of those rappers underground. When I refer to underground, I'm talking about the style, not exposure.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost all of those definitions are the same or very similar. I don't understand your point anyway?

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
personally,there are very few HUGE hip hop artists I like, I mostly enjoy the "midlevel" cats like Ghostface.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I listen to people who make good music.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's specifically for people who listen to nerd rap. Which is exactly what I don't listen to. Hence me saying you had no idea wtf a backpacker was.

Backpacker music: Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, El P, Ugly Duckling, Anticon etc.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are not intelligent enough to comprehend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You are a fukcing idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Man, you are seriously annoying me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're on Punk'd!!!! I'm sending you a case of Crunk Juice as a prize!

Okaaaay! Yeaaaah!

NT

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 03:49 AM
Over 100 posts and counting. In just over 8 hours.

http://img145.exs.cx/img145/9844/dmc1hz.jpg

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 03:52 AM
Syk-
If I hadn't been at work, I would be the guy in your shoes right now. Well, probably not. You should just stop. These guys would've labeled me a "backpacker" a while ago, and for all intents and purposes they'd be correct. So why is it hard for even me to agree with you? Well, you haven't done anything but try to spit down on people from your soap box since this thread started. No one wants to listen to an [censored], even if he's right. You do not know more than everyone else on the subject. Period. Also, you claim to rap, eh? Well my money is on you sucking ass. Let me guess; you have a 1 at the end of your name? You probably "collect vinyl" too. And I'd be willing to bet that the room in your mother's basement where you keep your 4-track is called "the lab," or something equally unique and underused. Don't be an elitist bitch.

NT-sorry about the rather nasty way that I entered the argument, but those 3 rappers don't meet any of my personal criteria for being great.

Also, there are no "freestyle" rappers and "writer" rappers. A guitar player who can't solo sucks. A basketball player who can't dribble sucks. See where I'm going with this? A good rapper should be able to both freestyle and write, those are the skills involved in being a rapper. There are two ways to rap. A rapper does both.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, you claim to rap, eh? Well my money is on you sucking ass.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take that bet.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 04:28 AM
I know more than anyone on the subject who's decided to participate so far, yes. I never claimed I rapped either, you tard. I said I've battled.

You're an idiot. I'm done with this.

balkii
12-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Dilated sucks.

yup. big time.

I never got into Mos Def very much

hes pretty good.

Talib is a genius. Reflection Eternal is an excellent album

agreed.

I never listened to Slum Village very much

they pretty much suck, you're not missing much. but if you find the song with dj jazzy jeff, it is pretty cool.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 04:34 AM
Hey Doc,

Fair enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there are no "freestyle" rappers and "writer" rappers. A guitar player who can't solo sucks. A basketball player who can't dribble sucks. See where I'm going with this? A good rapper should be able to both freestyle and write, those are the skills involved in being a rapper. There are two ways to rap. A rapper does both.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is the problem I have with this and the world. What ever happened to a good role player? Shaq doesn't need to dribble, and John Lennon doesn't need to take a guitar solo, and I don't need to hear Andre 3000 freestyle.

I understand the idea that rap is equal parts of a variety of important skills, or that hip-hop culture in general is made up of a bunch of (now largely neglected) practices and traditions not limited to MCs. I used to be part of the 'skills, skills, skills' set, used to be violently opposed to mainstream music of almost any type, etc. Used to be way more of an extremist than even Syk seems to be. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then I started to mellow out a bit. Part of it is that I spend a large part of my day driving kids from NYC around and being forced to listen to either rap radio or whatever mix tape they have most recently brought back... Diplomats and D-Block are on heavy rotation up here right now... and at some point I either had to go crazy or find some songs to like. I was already into Biggie and Outkast and just found that there are a lot of singles or tracks from artists that most 'heads' would be ashamed to be caught listening to that make you bounce. Now, I haven't turned in to a radio listener, but I'm far from a purist.

Like, that new Fabolous song. First time I heard it, it really made me nod my head. I'm sick of it now that I've heard it 3000 times but the first three or four were okay.

I've just been given an appreciation for the power of pop music, or, more generally, for the awesome power of mainstream culture in a modern, post-industrial country. I mean, I hate the hegemony like everybody else, but damn, they are good at what they do. And if the alternative is being a snotty, resentful, antisocial prick, well, pass the Crunk Juice!

Not to knock your (heretofore unmentioned) taste, it's just where I'm at right now.

NT

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 04:34 AM
Jazzy Jeff is such an underrated producer. He completely shut down Pure Coke by Planet Asia. Such a sick beat.

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Diplomats and D-Block are on heavy rotation up here right now...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, dude.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 04:37 AM
Wow! Your first post without using the word 'idiot!'

If I were a conservative, I would have pointed out by now that you argue just like a liberal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT

thatpfunk
12-29-2004, 04:46 AM
WTF are you talking about? You claim jedi mind and rip paz? you are a troll who just wants arguments... you cant prove those arent freestyles, so they are until you prove otherwise. period. you're a joke. you are a backpacker, just repping [censored] until someone else claims it, then you talk [censored]. you're a joke get over yourself.;

-Syk-
12-29-2004, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF are you talking about? You claim jedi mind and rip paz? you are a troll who just wants arguments... you cant prove those arent freestyles, so they are until you prove otherwise. period. you're a joke. you are a backpacker, just repping [censored] until someone else claims it, then you talk [censored]. you're a joke get over yourself.;

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize there were 2 other members in Jedi Mind Tricks? I like Jus Allah and Stoupe. You also realize I said I liked old JMT. I hate them now, Vinnie sucks.

Your argument is so worthless.

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See, this is the problem I have with this and the world. What ever happened to a good role player? Shaq doesn't need to dribble, and John Lennon doesn't need to take a guitar solo, and I don't need to hear Andre 3000 freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this might help clear up some common ground. Shaquille O'Neal has many fans, and many people feel that he is one of the greats. He has scored a lot of points and whatnot. He is some people's favorite basketball player. Michael Jordan is also widely considered to be one of the greatest to ever play the game, and many people's favorite player. He as well won a lot of stuff. It can be argued, easily one might say, that Michael Jordan is a more versatile basketball player than Shaquille O'Neal is. Shaquille O'Neal is very good at a few facets of the game of basketball, Michael Jordan is very good at many. This makes Michael Jordan better at the game of basketball. This is how I personally define who's best. If this is incorrect, I'd like to be informed.

While John Lennon may be your favorite person who plays guitar in a band, and may not need blazin guitar solos to be so, he lacks the technical ability that, say, Jimi Hendrix has. They both wrote excellent songs, had awesome guitar melodies and such, but Hendrix is the better guitar player.

Usually, I happen to like who I think is the best the most. But some of the things that I like are by far not the best of their kind. In order to determine who is best, we have to have common criteria for judging their performance. Which, by the way, won't happen when discussing a matter as personal as one's perception of art. I personally think that rapping is a highly literary art combined with the use of the voice as an integral instrument in the music. Not many people achieve a very high level of either.

As far as my taste...
I think my favorite 10 rappers are Mikah 9, Aceyalone, Lateef, Sage Francis, Talib Kweli, Cee-lo, Lyrics Born, Abstract Rude, and either Gift of Gab or Aesop Rock. If it was best I'd have to throw Eminem in there somewhere, and maybe Andre. Yes, I wear a hoodie because it's comfortable, I carry a backpack because I can't tow the trunk of a car around (parking...). On the bus I wear headphones. I can't get enough of "In Da Club," I have listened to 2001 for probably 300 hours of my life, "never scared" is one of the totally sweetest songs I have ever heard. I like MC Paul Barman, can't stand Tupac, and "who dat" would be my theme music.

zephed56
12-29-2004, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Biggie sucked too.

Big L > Biggie + Pac

[/ QUOTE ]
Excuse me, who the [censored] is this Big L guy? Did I miss pop culture while I was rocking out to Zeppelin?

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 07:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Biggie sucked too.

Big L > Biggie + Pac

[/ QUOTE ]
Excuse me, who the [censored] is this Big L guy? Did I miss pop culture while I was rocking out to Zeppelin?

[/ QUOTE ]
The least known of the 4 dead guys commonly regarded as the best rappers ever(Biggie, Pac, Big Pun, Big L).

thatpfunk
12-29-2004, 08:50 AM
ummm, ya, too bad paz is the main vocalist... i cant believe people are arguing with you. you are arguing simply for the sake of it. once again... where are your *facts*??? and oh, i forgot paz isnt on old jedi mind, oh wait, yes he is and he kills it on vbd. you are a joke.

what is yoiur point? to look cool because you think you know so much about hip hop? you're cool dude. keep making up arguments for no reason, it will get you real far... wait heres a good idea, start talking [censored] about living legends and isoceles and every other tight hip hop group, [censored] backpacker. you blew it once you repped a group and then ripped the main vocalist, proving you're a f'n joke.

wacki
12-29-2004, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Biggie > Tupac

[/ QUOTE ]

Biggie was into letting his friends get shot.

Biggie = cockroach

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Biggie = cockroach

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this the equations thread?

BK_
12-29-2004, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I just hate when people won't acknowledge or appreciate anything that is commercially successful. Like Outkast, I think they are an awesome group and have really done some interesting things with their music. Does it make me ignorant if they're one of my favorite hip-hop acts of 2004? I don't think so. When I read a list like yours, it just sounds like, "Let me be endlessly bitter about pop music and protect myself with my encyclopedic knowledge of hip-hop, but refuse to acknowledge any of the more well-known, commercially successful groups that influenced these rappers that I like so much, and ignore them whenever possible." Maybe you never hear about any famous rappers that influenced all of those people and really just ignore anyone that goes platinum, but it sounds to me like you have a case of bitter underground rapper syndrome.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. did he really just place cannibus over biggie?

kirisim
12-29-2004, 11:12 AM
I wasn't really trying to start a thread about who the best rappers were. I was just posting some lyrics that seem to have been inspired by poker terminology, because that's sort of amusing.

Another, courtesy of Fat Joe and R Kelly:

"Some of these cats is doing they own thing,
but none of these kids stack chips like us."

Jman28
12-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Tell me (without yelling, and with a thought out response) what makes Encore "probably the worst album you've ever heard." Feel free to touch on what Eminem changed about himself or his music that tunred you off to him. Thanks.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I think his reason is that he sold to many records.

ClassicBob
12-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Um....he makes jokes a 12 year old would make throughout an entire album, and he makes a diss song against a [censored] puppet. 'Nuff said.

Also, I can't say that I expected MC Paul Barman to be referenced in this thread.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he makes jokes a 12 year old would make throughout an entire album

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, he sounds very immature on "Yellow Brick Road", "Toy Soldiers", "Mosh", and "We As Americans", in fact, that is probably the most childish Em has ever been.

ClassicBob
12-29-2004, 11:48 AM
There are a few songs that are decent on the album, but they are not many. And just because he's got some songs that aren't garbage doesn't mean I can give him a free pass on [censored] like "Big Weenie."

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 11:53 AM
true.
IMO, the album is average, but thats because there are like 4 maybe 6 real good songs, and the rest suck.

ClassicBob
12-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I can agree with this. I was just extremely disappointed with it after two amazing albums (MMLP and ES).

JTrout
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
His friends considered him dead money.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
SSLP is a good listen too, but MMLP and ES are better.

I personally don't think it was Eminems best effort, but I think he did that on purpose. I fully expect his next album to straight fire, and not commercial sounding at all.

David04
12-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Okay back to Big L.....how was he NOT a freestyler?? Ever heard the 7 Minute Freestyle with Jay-Z(actually I believe the real name is Back 2 Back, it's on Harlem's Finest)? Or the 98 Freestyle on the Big Picture? Or how about Harlem's Finest, and entire CD of.....FREESTYLES!

Whoever said L didn't freestyle should just shut the hell up.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 02:48 PM
yeah, that wasn't me. But I agree though.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay back to Big L.....how was he NOT a freestyler?? Ever heard the 7 Minute Freestyle with Jay-Z(actually I believe the real name is Back 2 Back, it's on Harlem's Finest)? Or the 98 Freestyle on the Big Picture? Or how about Harlem's Finest, and entire CD of.....FREESTYLES!

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that those aren't freestyles has already been addressed. There's no way to "prove" they're written, but the fact that the lyricism and rhyme schemes are better than in most of his songs should say something.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that those aren't freestyles has already been addressed. There's no way to "prove" they're written, but the fact that the lyricism and rhyme schemes are better than in most of his songs should say something.

[/ QUOTE ]
They could simply state that he is an awesome freestyler? Maybe he is like Jay-Z and Biggie, in that they both are/were sort of like pseudo-freestylers. Neither one wrote their songs down, but instead they wrote them in their head. Both of them make/made total hits writing this way, perhaps L was the same?

David04
12-29-2004, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if they weren't freestyles, his written songs were just as amazing. Greatest lyricist of all time, along with Nas. Can't put one in front of the other, they are tied for the spot.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if they weren't freestyles, his written songs were just as amazing. Greatest lyricist of all time, along with Nas. Can't put one in front of the other, they are tied for the spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll still take Biggie first, but thats fine, at this point, I think its just about preference, because all three are super sick IMO.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me (without yelling, and with a thought out response) what makes Encore "probably the worst album you've ever heard." Feel free to touch on what Eminem changed about himself or his music that tunred you off to him. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Encore is bad because it's just Em talking about farts and bungholes. It's just an album of bullshit singles.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 03:16 PM
thats BS, there are more than a few standout songs on that album. The rest are garbage though.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Like Toy Soldiers is the only really good song. There are a couple of decent songs, and the rest is gay skits and bullshit singles.

TheJunkyardGod
12-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Holy crap, this thread got out of hand.

All I said was [ QUOTE ]
Also, Biggie > Tupac

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn people.

tripdad
12-29-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i just wanted in on some of this mad quoting action going on in this thread. i still can't believe DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince haven't been mentioned in the best rapper of all time discussions. you all have clearly not truly listened to their music with your hearts. very sad.

cheers!

brassnuts
12-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Parents Just Don't Understand is the best rap song of all time. Will Smith was so gangsta.

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i just wanted in on some of this mad quoting action going on in this thread. i still can't believe DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince haven't been mentioned in the best rapper of all time discussions. you all have clearly not truly listened to their music with your hearts. very sad.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea! And what about the Beastie Boys?

Prelude008
12-29-2004, 06:32 PM
For what's it's worth...

I guess I'm not a true hip hopper. I'll admit that I never heard of Big L until I read this thread (along with a lot of others mentioned in this post). Since everyone else seems to think Big L is one of the best I was curious and found his web-site and listened to some songs. I liked what I heard and think he is good...I guess I'm a victim of the radio and limited cd purchases.

Obvious, I can't say who the "best" is because there is so much that I haven't heard. I can say that I do like Pac, Outkast (since they are different) along with Grand Master Flash, Sugar Hill Gang and Heavy D /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Also, since I dance, I tend to rate beats and flow over lyrics for the groups that I like.

Lastly, I am curious on your freestyle/written debate how can you tell. Are you considering someone who writes their stuff, commits it to memory and then raps it at will "freestyle", or is it making up ALL lyrics instantly on the spot. I consider it the later, same as with dance freestyle.

Thanks for an entertaining/informative read.

TheJunkyardGod
12-29-2004, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, I am curious on your freestyle/written debate how can you tell. Are you considering someone who writes their stuff, commits it to memory and then raps it at will "freestyle", or is it making up ALL lyrics instantly on the spot. I consider it the later, same as with dance freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that as well. But apparently I was wrong.

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
The term is used loosely, but true freestyling is making up the lyrics as you go, but hardly anyone "freestyles" without an idea of what they're going to say.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The term is used loosely, but true freestyling is making up the lyrics as you go, but hardly anyone "freestyles" without an idea of what they're going to say.

[/ QUOTE ]bingo

B Dids
12-29-2004, 07:17 PM
I've been ignoring this thread, and didn't read much past the first 10 posts- but did it really take 150 posts to come up with a definition of freestyle?

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been ignoring this thread, and didn't read much past the first 10 posts- but did it really take 150 posts to come up with a definition of freestyle?

[/ QUOTE ]um, well most of us knew what it was, we just had one annoying person who was being very anal about it. I skimmed a lot of it too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jman28
12-29-2004, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Encore is bad because it's just Em talking about farts and bungholes. It's just an album of bullshit singles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta say I disagree strongly. It's just Em being himself, not looking to make singles. I don't think he likes making poppy radio songs at all (like how he was forced to make The Real Slim Shady but first came up with The Way I Am).

Truth is, there's no better way to put all the naysayers in there place than with wit, and he's as witty as any rap artist has ever been.

I know we're not gonna agree on this. Just voicing my opinion.

-Jman28

thatpfunk
12-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Eminem getting thrown words by stretch armstrong- unbelievable freestyle.

And Encore is bad TSC. The majority of the album is really bad, immature, unfunny jokes. I wanted to like it really bad, buts it not something I can listen to all the way through. His other albums are some of the greatest ever made, Encore just a bump in the road hopefully.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 09:47 PM
eh, oh well, its all good.

nothumb
12-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey doc,

Again, totally reasonable. I was just saying that some of the biggest contributions to various facets of life have been made by people who are not total masters, or totally well rounded. Like, for instance, I think Outkast has made a few of the best hip-hop albums of the last decade without either rapper (to my knowledge) being a great freestylist.

Which is why certain people (such as Eminem) rank Andre above many, many rappers, because of his contributions. Same way you could easily say that a guy like Lamar Odom is a far more well-rounded player than Shaq, but Shaq is more valuable.

Again, we're just getting into semantics here. I got home and was surprised this thread is still alive.

NT

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ummm, ya, too bad paz is the main vocalist... i cant believe people are arguing with you. you are arguing simply for the sake of it. once again... where are your *facts*??? and oh, i forgot paz isnt on old jedi mind, oh wait, yes he is and he kills it on vbd. you are a joke.

what is yoiur point? to look cool because you think you know so much about hip hop? you're cool dude. keep making up arguments for no reason, it will get you real far... wait heres a good idea, start talking [censored] about living legends and isoceles and every other tight hip hop group, [censored] backpacker. you blew it once you repped a group and then ripped the main vocalist, proving you're a f'n joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or I said I loved the Violent By Design album when Vinnie actually came decent and Jus Allah was there. I thought I said that earlier, maybe you missed it. For the record, their new albums suck, and Violent By Design is in my Top 10.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His old lyrics were very intricate. His rhyme schemes were impeccable. His concepts were amazing. Now, he raps about the worst stuff imaginable. Rapping about Triumph the Insult Comic Dog in an Arabian accent. He just doesn't try any more. Encore is an album he probably made in about 20 minutes and tossed out because he knows it will go multi-platinum.

His older songs like Murder, Murder and If I Had are amazing to me. I love his older work where he put more time into his songs. As he progressed fanwise, his music went downhill to me.

[ QUOTE ]
I think his reason is that he sold to many records.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I really enjoyed The SSLP and MMLP and even The Eminem Show. Like I said, I don't care if people sell tons of records and blow up. I'm not listening to certain artists because they aren't known. I listen to them for the music. Once the music is not to my liking, I move on. Eminem fell off. That's why I don't like him anymore. Canibus isn't a huge artist and I don't like his newer work either, so I guess your argument is flawed.

[ QUOTE ]
true.
IMO, the album is average, but thats because there are like 4 maybe 6 real good songs, and the rest suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

4-6 songs out of 20 is an average album to you? Sounds like a Snoop Dogg fan.

[ QUOTE ]
SSLP is a good listen too, but MMLP and ES are better.

I personally don't think it was Eminems best effort, but I think he did that on purpose. I fully expect his next album to straight fire, and not commercial sounding at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSLP > MMLP > TES > INFINITE

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and as I've stated earlier.. they're all written verses rapped over random beats. Random radio drops or non-album songs are labeled 'freestyles'. They aren't true freestyles by the real defenition of rapping as you go along making up words off the top.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They could simply state that he is an awesome freestyler? Maybe he is like Jay-Z and Biggie, in that they both are/were sort of like pseudo-freestylers. Neither one wrote their songs down, but instead they wrote them in their head. Both of them make/made total hits writing this way, perhaps L was the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is nowhere near what a genuine freestyle is, champ.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for an entertaining/informative read.

[/ QUOTE ]

A genuine freestyle by defenition is when the lyrics you are producing at the moment are being made up as you go along. If you've heard people freestyle or do it yourself, you can recognize when someone's lyrics are either written verses or premeditated.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]um, well most of us knew what it was, we just had one annoying person who was being very anal about it. I skimmed a lot of it too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you had absolutely no idea what the fukc a freestyle was.. and I'm convinced you still don't. And to my knowledge being anal is when you're being extremely picky about something minute.. You getting a whole sub-genre of hip hop wrong 100% wrong and me doing my best to correct you isn't exactly anal. Of course, I could be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Eminem getting thrown words by stretch armstrong- unbelievable freestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

That freestyle was terrible.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
god, talk about raising the dead. I thought most of us agreed to let this die because we all were annoyed with you. We all get it, you rap, you like underground rap, ergo you know everything about rap.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
god, talk about raising the dead. I thought most of us agreed to let this die because we all were annoyed with you. We all get it, you rap, you like underground rap, ergo you know everything about rap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, why are you such a dunce? You've proven over and over you know absolutely nothing about the topic at hand. You don't get anything since I've had to repeat myself 3964 times with no success. Since there were a few unanswered questions directed at me I decided to respond to them.. If you don't want the thread bumped don't reply.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 02:39 PM
there were zero questions directed at you. Instead you choose to respond to what other people had said to other people. This thread had been gone for a week and you choose to bump it with an absurdly long reply in which you "prove" our inferiority on the topic. You are such a huge tool and you don't even realize it.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there were zero questions directed at you. Instead you choose to respond to what other people had said to other people. This thread had been gone for a week and you choose to bump it with an absurdly long reply in which you "prove" our inferiority on the topic. You are such a huge tool and you don't even realize it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tell me (without yelling, and with a thought out response) what makes Encore "probably the worst album you've ever heard." Feel free to touch on what Eminem changed about himself or his music that tunred you off to him. Thanks."

That isn't directed towards me?

"Okay back to Big L.....how was he NOT a freestyler?? Ever heard the 7 Minute Freestyle with Jay-Z(actually I believe the real name is Back 2 Back, it's on Harlem's Finest)? Or the 98 Freestyle on the Big Picture? Or how about Harlem's Finest, and entire CD of.....FREESTYLES!

Whoever said L didn't freestyle should just shut the hell up."

That isn't directed at me either? Um, I'm pretty sure I was the one who brought up our buddy Lamonte not being a freestyle rapper and it seems this fellow wants me to answer him..

"Lastly, I am curious on your freestyle/written debate how can you tell. Are you considering someone who writes their stuff, commits it to memory and then raps it at will "freestyle", or is it making up ALL lyrics instantly on the spot. I consider it the later, same as with dance freestyle.

Thanks for an entertaining/informative read."

That's 3 questions directed at me.. You're slipping, man. First you say that I claimed I was a rapper, when I didn't. Then you pretend I claimed all I listen to is underground, which I don't.. And then you say I'm pretending to know more about anything than you all. Wrong again. Although I obviously know more about freestyling than you guys. You lose, Cracka.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You lose, Cracka.

[/ QUOTE ] fine whatever, just shut up already.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You lose, Cracka.

[/ QUOTE ] fine whatever, just shut up already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad we've resolved this. Me replying to your posts thoroughly just to have you post more stupid sht and ignore what I said was getting a little irritating. Glad we're both happy. Die, thread, die.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 03:04 PM
it already had died though, thats the whole point.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it already had died though, thats the whole point.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a bunch of questions directed at me that I hadn't answered. Hence me reviving the thread to address these questions which you seem to have overlooked.

dr. klopek
01-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Never post here again.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never post here again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never post here again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up.

[/ QUOTE ]
he is talking to you.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never post here again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up.

[/ QUOTE ]
he is talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was aware of that, chief. Please stop making an ass of yourself.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never post here again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up.

[/ QUOTE ]
he is talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]when he says "here" I believe he means OOT.

dr. klopek
01-05-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never post here again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up.

[/ QUOTE ]
he is talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, seriously, never again. Not even to reply to this. Just stop. You of all people should want this thread to die.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never post here again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up.

[/ QUOTE ]
he is talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, seriously, never again. Not even to reply to this. Just stop. You of all people should want this thread to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I don't care about it or what other people think about me. I just felt like answering the last few questions. Have a Mod lock it if you like. Works for me.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Mods? what are those? do we even have those here?

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Don't look at me I'm a stupid newbie. What do you play BTW.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
what I play is irrelevant.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Word. I'm poor, loan me some money. I need to eat.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:15 PM
naw, go make a sigh ala the spoofed Eazy- E in "Dre Day"..... will rap for food.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Unfortunately, I still do not rap. Speaking of, you ever heard of Cunninlynguists?

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:17 PM
heard of him: yes
heard him: no

apparently I need to download some more.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah, it's a group BTW. DJ Kno, Mr. SoS and Deacon Da Villian. You can find their albums on Soul Seek if you have it.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:22 PM
what the hell is soul seek?

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:25 PM
File sharing program. It has a huge selection for hip hop. http://www.slsknet.org is the site. Download it. Here's a couple of songs I realized I still had uploaded. They should stream directly into Winamp or whatever you're using. If not, let me know please.

http://www.spitflames.com/audio/streams/lazy_as_fuck.m3u
http://www.spitflames.com/audio/streams/crawl_before_you_walk.m3u
http://www.spitflames.com/audio/streams/stalking_cap.m3u

Enjoy..

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:27 PM
can't check at work, will do later. IS this program similar to limewire?

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:29 PM
I haven't used Limewire in like 2 years and don't really remember how it worked. Soul Seek lets you browse peoples whole folders that they're sharing and queue a bunch of songs/albums at once. Has a lot of movies on there aswell. Good program.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:31 PM
yeah, its basically like limewire then. Are there a lot of songs on there, because limewire seems to have more porn than anything else. Really only popular songs as well.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, its basically like limewire then. Are there a lot of songs on there, because limewire seems to have more porn than anything else. Really only popular songs as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it has a huge underground and hard-to-find selection. You can find people on there with 300 or so albums or 40-50 whole movies. It's by far the best P2P program I've used, although I was like 10-11 when Napster was in it's prime and didn't use it much.

The only downfall is that not many people share and a normal search will pick up mostly queued songs so you have to get in line. Your best bet is to find somebody with a kickass list and then add them to your userlist.

mmbt0ne
01-05-2005, 04:36 PM
God, if this thread lives a little longer, you'll have 10k posts by Saturday.

And, for relevance:
Nick Cannon > *

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although I was like 10-11 when Napster was in it's prime and didn't use it much.

[/ QUOTE ] wtf, how old are you?

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
although I was like 10-11 when Napster was in it's prime and didn't use it much.

[/ QUOTE ] wtf, how old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Turned 17 in August. I've been up about a day right now, trying to fix my sleeping schedule, so I really have no idea if the dates are accurate. Actually, now I'm certain that was way the [censored] off. I remember downloading Master P - Make Um Say Ughhh with Napster at the U-Dub library a few years back.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
ttp://www.lipsync.us/(www.lipsync.us)-Ashlee-Simpson-Booed-Off-Stage.wmv

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 04:45 PM
you are only 17? and you are/were downloading at UW?

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are only 17? and you are/were downloading at UW?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brother went to UW. I was just at the library fukcing around on the computers with him.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 05:20 PM
do you live in Seattle?

IndieMatty
01-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Awww their becoming friends...how cute. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr. klopek
01-05-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, WTF!!?!

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, WTF!!?!

[/ QUOTE ]what?

edit: I feel sorry for him, for he is not even out of high school. I should have known better than to argue with a little kid.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, WTF!!?!

[/ QUOTE ]what?

edit: I feel sorry for him, for he is not even out of high school. I should have known better than to argue with a little kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You clearly lost the argument to a "little kid." Not to mention you came off like a total douche being proved wrong again and again. I may have sounded like a know-it-all [censored], but at least I knew what I was talking about.

Blah, whatever, I really do not care about it. I answered the questions you didn't believe were there, so I'm done with it. And yes, I'm in Seattle. And I'm a high school dropout. I have my GED.

Edit: And if you really feel sorry for me, take me to McDonalds or something, fool. I'm starving. Buy me some new shoes.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why? You clearly lost the argument to a "little kid." Not to mention you came off like a total douche being proved wrong again and again

[/ QUOTE ] when some refuses to argue with you anymore it doesn't mean you are right.

also, if your hungry, go find a job you little punk ass CD bitch.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 06:01 PM
And that McDonalds thing is no joke. What part of Seattle you in?

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't live in Seattle, but I went to high school there.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why? You clearly lost the argument to a "little kid." Not to mention you came off like a total douche being proved wrong again and again

[/ QUOTE ] when some refuses to argue with you anymore it doesn't mean you are right.

also, if your hungry, go find a job you little punk ass CD bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you refused to acknowledge your ass I handed to you. You need to admit a) you have no idea wtf freestyling is b) people did indeed have questions for me and c) i am the master.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't live in Seattle, but I went to high school there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No McDonalds?

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) you have no idea wtf freestyling

[/ QUOTE ] I am well aware of what fresstyling is, I never even particpated in the "discussion" because it was absurd, so slow your roll son.

[ QUOTE ]
b) people did indeed have questions for me

[/ QUOTE ] that had already been answered and were being discussed by everyone else.

[ QUOTE ]
c) i am the master.

[/ QUOTE ] you are indeed the master of being an annoying know-it-all little 17 year old bitch.

ClassicBob
01-05-2005, 06:18 PM
So much for friends....

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a) you have no idea wtf freestyling

[/ QUOTE ] I am well aware of what fresstyling is, I never even particpated in the "discussion" because it was absurd, so slow your roll son.

[ QUOTE ]
b) people did indeed have questions for me

[/ QUOTE ] that had already been answered and were being discussed by everyone else.

[ QUOTE ]
c) i am the master.

[/ QUOTE ] you are indeed the master of being an annoying know-it-all little 17 year old bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong on everything. I'd go back and show you that nobody was talking about the questions they were asked, the quote of you talking about what you thought freestyling was, which was 100% wrong, and me sonning you..thus proving I am the master.

But I do not care. You damn duncecap. No McDonalds though. That's gonna put a damper on my day. Cracka, you like Canibus?

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go back and show..... the quote of you talking about what you thought freestyling was, which was 100% wrong

[/ QUOTE ] go for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Cracka, you like Canibus?

[/ QUOTE ] I haven't heard enough to say one way or the other.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Nah, I'm too lazy to go back and quote it just so you can reply with, "jesus if it means that much to you ill just shut up" or some other btch move.

I just ate McDonalds by the way. Not as hungry. I'm done for a while, gonna read some 2+2 or maybe some Ciaffone. Have a good day man. Stay safe. Peace.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 07:32 PM
yeah, okay... I am guessing you went and looked and discovered you are wrong.

Stay safe.peace.

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, okay... I am guessing you went and looked and discovered you are wrong.

Stay safe.peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. No, I actually was gonna go read and noticed a trend of me calling you out things and you dodging them so I decided not to waste my time, but since you're being an asshat about it. I'll go show you where you proved you have no idea what freestyling is. Then I'm gone.

They could simply state that he is an awesome freestyler? Maybe he is like Jay-Z and Biggie, in that they both are/were sort of like pseudo-freestylers.

There is no such thing as a pseudo-freestyler.

Neither one wrote their songs down, but instead they wrote them in their head. Both of them make/made total hits writing this way, perhaps L was the same?

No, perhaps L wasn't the same because there is no such thing as a psuedo-freestyle where you aren't actually reciting an actual verse. That's not a freestyle. That's called pre-meditated rhyming. Exactly what a freestyle isn't.

And then there are still the 3 questions you claimed weren't there.. And now you realize they are there, but have decided to claim they were already answered by other people. How that makes a difference is beyond me. Why would other people answering questions that were directly asked to me change the fact that people had indeed addressed me directly to answer questions?

Syk: 1
TSC: 0

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
look up what pseudo (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pseudo) means. I am guessing you have no clue.

edit: This in particular

pseudo
adj : (often used in combination) not genuine but having the appearance of; "a pseudo esthete"; "pseudoclassic" n : a person who makes deceitful pretenses [syn: imposter, impostor, pretender, fake, faker, fraud, sham, shammer, pseud, role player]

-Syk-
01-05-2005, 08:16 PM
And like I said, there is no such thing a pseudo-freestyler. You can't alter the meaning of freestyle to slip some rapper into a category you just created. You lose. GG.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 08:21 PM
do you understand the concept of an adjective? Really, I understand you earned your GED, but really, how close did you pass the final test. I can use an adjective in front of a noun.

[ QUOTE ]
You can't alter the meaning of freestyle to slip some rapper into a category you just created.

[/ QUOTE ] I am not creating a category, I am using an adjective and a noun to help explain to some people(who know what pseudo means and know how adjectives work) the perceived style/skill of those three rappers.

Listen I understand you are a child, and its painfully obvious in your arguments and in your logic, so maybe you should stop. You are embarassing yourself.

Hack
01-05-2005, 08:29 PM
It's obvious that Vanilla Ice is the greatest rapper of all time!

Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle

-Syk-
01-06-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you understand the concept of an adjective? Really, I understand you earned your GED, but really, how close did you pass the final test. I can use an adjective in front of a noun.

[ QUOTE ]
You can't alter the meaning of freestyle to slip some rapper into a category you just created.

[/ QUOTE ] I am not creating a category, I am using an adjective and a noun to help explain to some people(who know what pseudo means and know how adjectives work) the perceived style/skill of those three rappers.

Listen I understand you are a child, and its painfully obvious in your arguments and in your logic, so maybe you should stop. You are embarassing yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, buddy. I tried to be cool with you. I really did. But you are without a doubt a complete moron. You have lost this debate. Everytime I tell you something, which is fact, you twist it around and make up something else. If you want to think there is a category of pseudo-freestylers and that rapping verses you've created just in your head alone are "freestyles" then so be it.

I cannot take your overwhelming stupidity anymore. I hope you have a great night.

Hack
01-06-2005, 05:41 AM
You both are embarrassing yourselves. You don't have the high road in this argument and neither does he.

-Syk-
01-06-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You both are embarrassing yourselves. You don't have the high road in this argument and neither does he.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll settle for this. We both look stupid arguing for 20+ pages. I apologize if I came off like a rude jerk, TSC. Let me know what you think of the songs I posted. And if you need help with Soul Seek go ahead and PM me. Take it easy.

-Syk-

Jman28
01-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Just to clear things up, I did direct a question at you Syk. Thank you for the civil response.