PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners situation...

Shajen
12-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Not your usual other other topics fare, but what the hell, right?

I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, and recently the lady renting the house next to mine has started piling up her garbage on the side of the her (rented) house next to mine...she claims her garbage can got damaged by the garbage truck.

The neighborhood is a decent one, most houses going for ~200k, so while not a rich area, it's certainly not ghetto enough for this behavior. I don't know of any way to contact the actual home owner to try and get her to stop what she's doing. And it's not just one bag or so, but entire week's worth at a time. Animals in the neighborhood are getting into the trash and scattering it all over the place.

I don't think I have any legal actions I can take, and the HOA is pretty useless so far, basically just threatening but not actually doing anything. I've tried giving her hints, by taking trash that gets blown into my yard (there is no fence between the two houses where she is piling the trash) and putting it in the middle of her drive way. I've also tried approaching her about it, but I'm having to be pretty delicate because I don't want to piss her off (I throw a good amount of parties, and most of them get kinda loud pretty late, which she has been really cool with so far) and she doesn't seem to either care or take the hint. How would you handle this situation? I don't know that I can legally do anything, since it isn't on my property....but I plan on moving pretty soon and I'll be damned if I try to show my house to people and have her ghetto ass garbage piled up next to it....whatcha think? How do I get the message across without pissing her off enough to call the cops the next time I have a loud party (this new years?)

Yeah, this is a wacky post, but if this isn't fare for "other other" then I don't know what is...anyone dealt with this type stuff before?

SomethingClever
12-28-2004, 06:40 PM
She sounds like a crazy person. Her garbage can got dented? WTF?

You might try approaching her directly... maybe even offer to buy her a new garbage can for the one that was dented (?).

Crazy people. Is there anything crazier?

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 06:40 PM
you should be able to find out who owns the property, if so, call the owners and tell them the situation. If trash is getting in your lawn, then it becomes a big problem to them.

Shajen
12-28-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might try approaching her directly... maybe even offer to buy her a new garbage can for the one that was dented (?).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought of this, but I dunno, seems a little extreme. Not that I wouldn't mind doing it, but I'd be willing to bet it would piss her off pretty good. (single mom, two kids, struggling from what I can tell) I'm really trying to avoid doing anything to make her too upset at me.

Hmmm...maybe I'll buy her one and just leave it in the middle of her driveway when she isn't home. That idea has merit.

Thanks. I was half expecting to get the old (wtf is this guy posting about? response(s) I've come to know and love here.

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Other than the wind blowing it over, and the eyesore, what is the problem, does it stink the joint up as well?

Just go over there and ask her if she could find another place to keep it. Do this under the guise of giving her the heads-up about the party, and offer to help her with something so she's more obliged to comply. If she won't move it, ask her to at least find a way to secure it so that animals wont get into it and it won't end up in your yard. Bring up the moving thing and tell her you need her to move it for the aesthetic appeal of the house. If none of this helps, I guess you're just stuck with a bitch for a neighbor.

If it gets real bad, call the health department.

stabn
12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, and recently the lady renting the house next to mine has started piling up her garbage on the side of the her (rented) house next to mine...she claims her garbage can got damaged by the garbage truck

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the city, there are almost always laws against this.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-28-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, and recently the lady renting the house next to mine has started piling up her garbage on the side of the her (rented) house next to mine...she claims her garbage can got damaged by the garbage truck

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the city, there are almost always laws against this.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with this is that the best way to run into problems when you have rowdy parties is to have a neighbor who's mad at you because you've called the city/police/landlord on her. The other way is to have someone who's underage (drunk, of course) offer the cops a beer when they get there (I've seen this happen).

stabn
12-28-2004, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with this is that the best way to run into problems when you have rowdy parties is to have a neighbor who's mad at you because you've called the city/police on her. The other way is to have someone who's underage offer the cops a beer when they get there (I've seen this happen).

[/ QUOTE ]

See if you can get several others to complain about the garbage as well. Then, call the city when she does nothing. That way she won't know for sure who it was.

I think the city is really the only option that will really force her to get rid of the garbage. Her dented can thing is bullshit, and i don't think a new can offer will change things.

BusterStacks
12-28-2004, 06:53 PM
kill her.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-28-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kill her.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a bit extreme. I was going to suggest a bb gun.

Shajen
12-28-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kill her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your idea has merit, and yet, I'm too lazy to bury her.

What's the best way to get rid of the body?

I could buy some pigs I guess.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stabn
12-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Compost. She's already started the pile for you.

SomethingClever
12-28-2004, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kill her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your idea has merit, and yet, I'm too lazy to bury her.

What's the best way to get rid of the body?

I could buy some pigs I guess.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill her, leave her in her own pile of garbage. Call the city.

Problem solved!

Seriously though, have you talked to her before? If she's not super crazy, I think a direct, honest, polite chat is the best method.

If she's a nutball, release 1,000 squirrels into her house through the chimney.

Shajen
12-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I've talked to her about it, she just doesn't seem to care. I'm in a bit of a pickle in that if she wants, she could make it rougher on me than I could make it on her.

I guess I'll see about tracking down the actual home owner and having them talk to her.

I'm not the only one that's talked to her about it. Maybe I'll be in a pissed off mood from the BS traffic I drive in and just snap on her one day. That'd probably do it. Or, I could kill one of her yippy dogs...and throw the body on the trash pile.

SomethingClever
12-28-2004, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she could make it rougher on me than I could make it on her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see my suggestion about the 1,000 squirrels?

Shajen
12-28-2004, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
she could make it rougher on me than I could make it on her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not see my suggestion about the 1,000 squirrels?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I can be mean, but that's down right evil .

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tek
12-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Put up a fence.