PDA

View Full Version : LCD vs. CRT

maurile
12-28-2004, 04:49 PM
It seems a lot of people here are using the Dell 2001FP 20.1-inch LCD monitor to 4-table (1600x1200 native and max resolution).

The difference in price between the 2001FP and a 19-inch CRT monitor with 1600x1200 max resolution is about $550 ($799 vs. $242).

Is there a good reason aside from desk space considerations to go with the LCD display?

For the extra $550, I could add more RAM, upgrade the graphics card, etc.

I've read this article (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-4500.php) and it hasn't convinced me that the LCD is worth the increased price. Am I missing something?

Mr_RC
12-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Well, for one thing with the LCD, the 20.1" is the actual usable screen size whereas the CRT will likely have only about 18" usable. 1600x1200 will probably be too small on an 18" screen unless you want to wear reading glasses.

Don't skimp on the monitor, because it will probably outlast the rest of your system if you upgrade at all frequently. Since you spend so much time looking at it, I feel the monitor is the most important part of the system.

phuc
12-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Depending on how much you play, the text will be crisper, cleaner and the screen brighter. It will consume less electricity (not that it matters to most people) and produces less heat. The desk space is a huge advantage as well as looking sharp. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I personally moved from CRTs to LCDs about a year and a half ago and I can honestly say that I will never go back. The only real advantage I like about CRTs is that the colors can blend better when watching movies and playing games. LCDs tend to have very distinct colors whereas CRTs will blend colors together better (and have a better refresh rate vs response time for games and fast moving graphics).

phuc
12-28-2004, 05:01 PM
yeah, and the actual screen area is much larger as he said...

maurile
12-28-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, for one thing with the LCD, the 20.1" is the actual usable screen size whereas the CRT will likely have only about 18" usable. 1600x1200 will probably be too small on an 18" screen unless you want to wear reading glasses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Good point.

The 20-22 inch CRTs are up in the $400-$600 range, which makes the price difference a lot less.

maurile
12-28-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LCDs tend to have very distinct colors whereas CRTs will blend colors together better (and have a better refresh rate vs response time for games and fast moving graphics).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a concern because I do watch DVDs on the computer.

Will a better graphics card help with this?

Mr_RC
12-28-2004, 05:14 PM
I personally think that DVDs and games looked better on my old CRT than on the LCD I use now...but, the LCD is so much better for my daily work (software development), uses about 1/3rd the electricity, and doesn't threaten to warp the surface of my desk like a CRT might.

WSOPWinner2005
12-28-2004, 05:18 PM
I have a 17 inch LCD and watched IRobot in here the other day as the DVD player was acting up (Am I the only one who has been through 20 of these things since they came out?) and I was AMAZED at the quality of the picture. It truly did suprise me.

I use some DVD program called "SONIC" which added the drivers my computer was apparently missing so I am not sure if that has something to do with it, other than that just a 64 MB NVIDIA Graphics card (think it cost about $90) and my LCD which is a NEC model that is nwo going on 3 years and starting to flicker on me with dark shades of yellow.

I am used to watching DVD's on a HDTV running Component cables too, so I am getting the best possible picture on my T.V. although the size difference may be partially to blame. 62 inch widesceen vs a 17 inch square /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am looking forward to buyin a dell Monitor when the opportunity is there. My SO's mom just bought a new dell and got the 19 inch LCD with it and thaat damn thing went to 2000 by XXXX I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the graphics card or what but I could find out more information about the exact monitor and system if others want to know.

It was a pretty beefed up system and ran about $1700 I think....

B00T
12-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I just wish they would make a 17 or 19 inch LCD that would go 1600x1200.

WSOPWinner2005
12-28-2004, 05:53 PM
BOOT - That is what I am saying. I am 99.9% sure the one in the above mentioned system did. Let me call them tonight and find out more information I will post it when I find it in a seperate thread Entitled something liek "Max Resolution of XXXX by XXXX with a DELL 19 inch LCD" as I am sure it will cause quite a stir if I am not mistaken.

The4Aces
12-28-2004, 05:56 PM
i have read that they are coming out with thin CRTs soon. Basically they figured out how to minitureize the tube. The size will be able the size of of a LCD buy weigh 25 pounds.

Freakin
12-28-2004, 06:00 PM
I bought a 19" CRT that did 1600x1200 specifically for poker. It was a terrible decision. Every time after I was done playing, I would get terrible headaches from the eyestrain. If you're able to spend your money on a quality CRT that does 1600x1200 @ 75Hz AT LEAST and has excellent brightness, then you may be alright, but those are gonna be more expensive. I LOVE this 2001FP I just got.

Freakin

Muisyle
12-28-2004, 06:35 PM
It's not really fair to quote $799 for a 2001FP.

I got it for $550.

Nightwish
12-28-2004, 06:36 PM
One thing that people haven't mentioned is that an LCD is much easier on your eyes than a CRT, even when the two are the same size and running the same resolution. An LCD is a tremendous investment. Your eyes will thank you.

Jstyal
12-28-2004, 06:42 PM
You can get a KDS XF-9b 19" Flat Screen CRT Monitor capable of 1600x1200 @ 75Hz, for $67, spanking new with free shipping. Just do a google search with model number and you'll find the deal. It's what I'm getting to replace my tiny 15" NEC LCD.

BTW, The offer expires in two days--12/31/04.

maurile
12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not really fair to quote $799 for a 2001FP.

I got it for $550.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm buying it as part of a new PC from Dell, and that's the price they're offering (although the 10% discount makes it more like $720, I suppose).

I guess I could have chosen the "no monitor" option and then bought it separately elsewhere . . . but I didn't.

Muisyle
12-28-2004, 07:56 PM
I got it straight from dell. So if you wanted to save yourself $200 you could have clicked "no monitor" then a few clicks over and added it to your cart.

TheRegulat0r
12-28-2004, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LCDs tend to have very distinct colors whereas CRTs will blend colors together better (and have a better refresh rate vs response time for games and fast moving graphics).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a concern because I do watch DVDs on the computer.

Will a better graphics card help with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A better graphics card will not do that. In most cases, better graphics cards only benefit framerates in graphic-intensive games. If your computer is older, a decent graphics card may be a step up from the integrated video on your motherboard. Most all machines made in the last couple years either have decent integrated video on the motherboard, or have graphics cards. If you play a lot of games, disregard what I just said. A more powerful graphics card is always an upgrade for gamers. A $50 video card and a $500 video card will display movies identically in my experiece.

As far as monitors go, the biggest issues people have with LCD's are color blending (mentioned above), response times, and black. The 2001FP has an excellent 12ms response time, so "ghosting" isn't really a problem. The issue that no LCD has really conquered is the color black. LCD's are unable to generate the very dark black that CRT's are capable of. This can be a minor annoyance during a movie or game, but isn't that big of an issue for most people, especially not for a poker player.

If you do go for the 2001FP, paying the full $800 is very avoidable. Dell often does coupons and rebates, bringing the price as low as $554 currently. For more information on this, you can read this (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=1449299&highlig ht_key=y&keyword1=2001fp) thread over at the AnandTech.com forums.

Hope that helps.

Emperor
12-28-2004, 08:20 PM
I LOVE MY CRT'S!

I will never buy an LCD, my mom and my sister both have them, and I think the picture quality sucks compared to CRT's.

You can get a 21" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen CRT (off brand) off pricewatch.com for $235 to your door, It will do 2048x1536 and you can 9 table on it with VERY lil overlap.

Refresh rate can be an issue. Highest isn't always the best. Depending on the wavelength of your ambient light the best solution is to play with it until the flicker goes away. ALSO EM and RF around your CRT can cause it to flicker, try moving it to the other corner of your desk is another trick I used to use when I was installing over 100/wk for 2 yrs (AFB)

Comparing a TV (even an HDTV) to an LCD and then saying CRT's suck is apples and oranges. CRT MONITORS can display MUCH more resolution than the DVD standard produces. (I'm not sure how LCD's #'s compare here, but I DO know my CRT looks better than ANY LCD I've seen)

If you are going to compare desktop space per $$ spent. I can buy 2 Trinitron Flat Screen CRT's for what your Dell LCD costs and have $100 left over for a dual head video card.

Just my opinion! I suggest your own side by side test and then decide.

maurile
12-28-2004, 08:21 PM
It says $799. (link (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=51 94&first=true))

Muisyle
12-28-2004, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It says $799. (link (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=51 94&first=true))

[/ QUOTE ]

You can play the DellF game for a 25% off coupon. I also got another $45 stackable coupon just by searching the web.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1444866&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Lumpy might even still have his if you're lucky.

http://dell.eprize.net/dell/dellf/

Don't worry about the "only once per day thing" just fill in fake info, fake email and do it over and over until you get one.

maurile
12-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks.

Muisyle
12-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Actually, if you are buying a computer over $1800, dellf will give you a $300 off coupon, which will save you more than buying the monitor seperately.

If you are buying a computer expensive enough to be over $1800 WITHOUT the monitor, you could use both /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also:

$150 off a Dimension Desktop at $999 or more
$200 off a Dimension Desktop at $1299 or more
20% off a Dimension Desktop at $899 or more

Just figure out which combo gives you the most off with the 25% off flat screen coupon (which is by far the hardest one to get int he dellf game). I have PMed you these codes.

Edit: It seems with the current "10% off desktops" deal they are running, you can't apply any of these codes. You might be able to call Dell and explain that you have a Dellf code you want to use and see if they will apply it. Obviously the 20% dellf code is better than the 10% they are giving you.

overtly spruce
12-28-2004, 09:37 PM
how many more times can you mention your new 2001FP on this forum?

DanS
12-28-2004, 09:39 PM
This is why you should get a 2001fp...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/dms79/4tablin.jpg

I couldn't even fit a 15" CRT on my desk, prol'ly.

Dan

Freakin
12-28-2004, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing at least 4 or 5 in the next week. Oh, and several more once I finally get a decent video card to do DVI out.

Freakin

34TheTruth34
12-28-2004, 10:19 PM
nice screenage.

is that Mendocino Black Tail Stout I spy?

DanS
12-28-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing at least 4 or 5 in the next week. Oh, and several more once I finally get a decent video card to do DVI out.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I was thinking and hoping you'd post a response like this. It's already saved me and made me so much money it's paid for itself in two weeks. Before, I couldn't play more than 2, or at most 3 Cryptos comfortably. Party/skins was the only place I could 4 table, and for bonuses only. I've made so many fewer mistakes, and I can 2plus2/AIM/Kazaa/whatever on my laptop without missing a thing.

Anyone who plays who makes a significant portion of their money from poker is an ass if they don't go spend $500 on this beauty.

Dan

DanS
12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice screenage.

is that Mendocino Black Tail Stout I spy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Mendocino, but it's the Red Tail Ale. I'm not a stout guy, but the Blue Heron Pale and Eye of the Hawk are both awesome too.

Dan

phuc
12-28-2004, 10:50 PM
maurile, the coupons expire on jan 5 so you should decide on your computer fairly soon. if you have already purchased it, but it hasn't shipped, you can always call Dell and have them remove the monitor from your order.

let me know how much you are spending on your computer (with and without the Dell 2001FP) and I'll see what extra Dellf coupons I have that might help you. Since you are buying a system, it might be cheaper to get the monitor with it since you can get a nice large dollars off coupon on the system. In any case, there are also frequently dollars off coupons floating around every few days (but are limited to a specific number of uses) so you that will give you $30-$40 more of savings when you buy the computer.

phuc
12-28-2004, 10:54 PM
if you are buying a Dell Dimension that costs $1499 or more, i can give you a 25% off coupon ($374.75 off $1499, even better if you are spending more).

maurile
12-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks Muisyle and phuc! I was able to get a 25% off coupon through Dellf. (Not directly.)

overtly spruce
12-29-2004, 12:26 AM
$500?! I thought I was stealing it for $600 from dell with my coupon!

overtly spruce
12-29-2004, 12:28 AM
I am purchasing a new computer and am trying to decide between a 20.1" dell lcd and a 23" sony premier pro lcd. The dell is $600 with a coupon from dell, and I found the sony at a few random clearing sites for around 1200-1500. Is the difference in price really worth if for the larger monitor? In terms of poker and being able to use the system to watch movies and so forth? And finally, does anyone know where I might be able to aquire the sony for prices better than what I have found? Cheers

overtly spruce
12-29-2004, 12:30 AM
YOu can also buy it refurbished or buy a 25% off coupon on ebay for $1-2 and save a ton. thats what I did

Freakin
12-29-2004, 12:46 AM
If you're looking to spend over $1k on displays, go with 2 2001FPs over the Sony. It'll give you more display room. 23" is just overkill for a computer monitor, if you ask me. Oh, and you might get better responses if you posted this more than 6 or 7 times across every possible forum. What? You did? Oh, nevermind.

Freakin /images/graemlins/grin.gif

maurile
01-18-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dell 2001FP 20.1-inch LCD monitor

[/ QUOTE ]
It came yesterday and I'm already in love with it. I four-tabled with no overlap for the first time last night. That's enough by itself, but the picture quality (images and movies) is much better than I was expecting as well. I'm extremely happy with and excited about this purchase.

Rick Nebiolo
01-18-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that people haven't mentioned is that an LCD is much easier on your eyes than a CRT, even when the two are the same size and running the same resolution. An LCD is a tremendous investment. Your eyes will thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. I have a corner setup with a 22" Viewsonic Professional Series P2225f CRT and a 21.5" Samsung 213T LCD to the right. The LCD is much easier to look at and is in fact a lot bigger display. Can't wait for my CRT to blow up so I can replace it /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

~ Rick