PDA

View Full Version : Help....On major online losing streak

10-04-2001, 05:20 PM
Has anyone else had this happen? I am playing what i feel is very solid poker. I even used PokerStat to determine that over the last 400 hands I saw the flop only 19%. Absolutely none of my drawing hands are hitting. AA KK QQ JJ, and A high nut flushes are crushed on the river. My winning percentage on the river has gone from 86% down to 50%. I am in dis-belief of whats happened. Any and all thoughts are welcome!!!

side note*****Are there any Houston area players who travel to Lake Charles??? Drop me an email...

10-04-2001, 09:01 PM
In the User->Sessions query, it calculates how long a potential losing streak could be, based on your win rate and standard deviation. This is listed as "Hours needed to assure a win", but it also can be interpreted as how long a potential losing streak could last. For example, you could have a 302 hour losing streak 95% of the time (made up numbers). Check how many hours it states your losing streak could last. It will probably be at least 200 hours. 400 hands is way less than any potential losing streak. It's definitely not a "major online losing streak".

I'd check to see if you are losing a few more bets that you shouldn't be losing! Personally, I'm finding one of my bigger leaks isn't winning when I have the best hand, but minimizing loses during losing streaks! I tend to semi-tilt, and lose more than I should. Having a win rate of a couple big bets an hour, losing a few extra small bets an hour when running bad is very costly!

10-04-2001, 09:35 PM
Oops, made a mistake, the below should be interpreted as having a 5% chance of having a 302 hour losing streak. Which would mean that if you plot on a graph your BR (assuming you don't withdraw) over a year, 5% on average of those days will be the start of a 302 hour losing streak. Meaning you maybe have 1 to 2 302 hour losing streaks in a year. Anyone have another opinion on another way of looking at this data?

>For example, you could have a 302 hour losing streak 95% of the >time (made up numbers).

10-04-2001, 09:42 PM
I'm with you Joe. They say standard deviation yada yada yada...but is sure sucks! It does alter anyone's play, I don't care how good we think we are. Makes you timid, makes you fear bad beats constantly...and if you play on Paradise, you should fear. It just sucks. I pissed away $500 playing 3-6 in a matter of 3 days. Never lost that much, that fast at the card room. I'd like to think I was playing my best the whole time, but probably not. Also paradise doesn't have a lot of loose/ passive games. Mostly tight/ aggressive, or loose and stupid. Bad beats galore!. Playing draws correctly and missing 10 out 10 times for days on end leaves a real bad taste in your mouth. It sucks, it sucks, it sucks!!!!!!!! AA, KK, QQ Ak never producing, screws up your thinking. Take a long break. Then come back after reviewing your knowledge. That's what I'm doing right now.

10-05-2001, 12:40 AM
Welcome to Paradise.

10-05-2001, 03:51 AM
Hi Tony

I cannot locate the feature you described in you're post? Can I download it somehow? Poker Stat is an amazing tool, and I have only scratched the surface of its uses. It really does provide a unique way to examine the profitability of specific hands in relation to position and playing style.

For example, lets say you are unsure what hands are profitable under the gun? Can you play A10 off, 44, 66, KQ? Now we can actually discover for ourselves exactly how much we win or lose per trial with these hands! If this were the only feature of this program it would justify the expenditure and there is so much more.

On top of this their support is very good, Tony e mailed me several times concerning a problem that had nothing to do with his product, when I discovered I had a virus.

If you are a serious PP player you will not regret buying poker stat.

Keep up the good work Tony, I will have many questions for you soon.

KT

10-05-2001, 05:03 AM
Hi KT,

Just download the latest update, and you'll get the Sessions/Blocks queries. This page is updated whenever changes are made:

http://www.thsoftware.com/whatsnew.htm

Thanks for the compliments! Email me with any questions you have at tony@thsoftware.com.

- Tony (TH Software)

10-05-2001, 01:35 PM
"Take a long break. Then come back after reviewing your knowledge" I think that is really good advice. Pity I can't take it - lol.

I find that when I have had a couple of horror sessions, if I take a short break - long enough to accept that the money is lost- I can then start playing happily at a lower level or stick to tourneys for a few days.

The worst thing for me is to keep playing at the same level in a bad pychological state with a depleted bakroll.

10-05-2001, 01:35 PM
I know of a Bankruptcy Lawyer in Houston who plays at Paradise also. I think he has the same problem as you do.

He also talks of going to Lake Charles quite often, but i don't think he has ever been. Sounds like he could play poker with you at Lake Charles and then handle your affairs after you go tits up.