PDA

View Full Version : Poker Players Unite ( a good beat story)

bunky9590
12-28-2004, 03:48 PM
You always hear about bad staking arrangements, but when two pokr players know each other and can trust each other, these are some of the things that can happen.

I'm not naming any names (if they want to chime in, so be it, but I'm not saying) but this worked out so well for both parties involved, that some of you should really hear how ethical and seriously some players take this game.

I get a message from a fellow 2p2 player who I have a good relationship with and he's in a bit of a bind, plans come up and he's in three tournaments and cannot finish. they are in great position in one tourney with like 15 players to go, and an above average chip stack, the second tourney had just started, and the third they were average stack early in the 3rd level. The deal proposed was to take over the play and take half of the winnings earned. I know the player, he knows me and it was done.

2.5 hours later.
One tourney out 54th, no cash Out with QQ vs. 66 all in PF when the dude spiked his 6, I go bye bye.

Tourney where they set me up in good position, Made the final table and survived to 4 handed. All in PF with a shortish stack with 55. Called in 2 spots, Both had ATo.
Final board of JJ747 sends me on my way. Cashed for $350.00 or so.)

Last tourney.
Once again, final table. Played super solid and consistently made spot on reads and got the money in with the best of it. 3 handed at the final table. All in PF with TT vs AT. Guy spikes an ace and doubles up. and I go from 115k down to 40k.

Few hands later I pick up 99 and have 90k behind. Big stack raises to 24k (blinds 4k/8k) I smooth call with the 9's in the BB.
Flop 556, I check, he bets 20k, I push. he calls. A7.
Rivers an Ace and I go bye bye. Well a $780.00 cash wasn't so bad there either.

So all in all we both net around $500.00 after entry fees paid out. Not bad for a couple hours of work. Money was transfered and all is great. Goes to show when two good poker players trust each other, lots of good things can come from it.

Good beat stories are nice to hear every now and then huh?

shummie
12-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the post. My /images/graemlins/heart.gif is /images/graemlins/smile.gifing.

I had a similar experience. It was just a $5 or $10 buy-in on PokerRoom and I was the chip leader (about 1.5x the next biggest stack) when it got down to 30 or so 21 places paid.

At that point the fire alarm in my apartment had been going off for 10 minutes. In my old place there were constantly false alarms, so I didn't think much of it and waited a bit for the alarms to die down. Then I heard sirens outside as the fire trucks pulled up. This was not a common occurence. First place paid $800 in this tourny, and while that would have been a huge gain relative to my bankroll at the time, it wasn't worth my life.

So I IM'd a fellow 2p2 I know and asked him to finish the tourny for me. I never got a chance to work out the details of the deal as I ran outside.

So I get outside. My girlfriend is there who knows I was playing through the alarm (she was in the laundry room at the time). I tell her how I'm a dipshit for not worrying more about her when the fire alarm was going off. She asks if I was winning. I tell her yes, and she says to get back there and win some money. I ask her to come with me, and she says, "I'm not going in there; I could die." /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Five minutes later, the firemen say it's okay... no fire. I rush back upstairs to see how my bud is doing. I login to find that I've blinded my way into the final table. I'm short stacked in 10th place.

I IM my buddy, and he tells me that he only got in one hand. I don't remember the details well, maybe all-in with TT against a shorter stack. What's for sure is that his dial-up internet went out while he was playing and he doesn't know what happened from there on. So God didn't want me to win the tournament.

I survive couple of round at the final table and go out in 9th for a $65 pay day. Since my buddy didn't really play for me, I never had to worry about how to split the money.

Anyway, that's my story. Peace.

- Jason

bunky9590
12-28-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I IM my buddy, and he tells me that he only got in one hand. I don't remember the details well, maybe all-in with TT against a shorter stack. What's for sure is that his dial-up internet went out while he was playing and he doesn't know what happened from there on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesson of your story.
Get friends who have DSL or cable modem.

shummie
12-28-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lesson of your story.
Get friends who have DSL or cable modem.

[/ QUOTE ]

For real... Though since said buddy maybe reading this, I have to admit that I may have it wrong and he does have brodband.

And sorry for hijacking your thread on the first post. 2-for-1 deal now I guess.

- Jason

Yobz
12-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Better than me. I was in first by a longshot (2x next stack or so) in a tourney with 21 people left. I was already 15 minutes late for work so I had one of my friends who knows nothing about poker play. I tell her "if you get AA KK QQ JJ or AKs go all in preflop, otherwise fold". I also call my girlfriend (who plays well) and tell her to get her ass over to my place to actually play so I can take in the 1st prize payday. I get back from work and find out I placed 18th and the girl who took over said "I went in preflop with a pocket pair like you told me to". When asked what pockect pair she told me she went in w/pocket 5s. I asked what happend to the other half of the money and she said "I also did it with pocket 7s after that". My GF wasnt there at the time to bitchslip her =(
I ended up getting like $20 for the 3 hours I invested instead of the 1k or so payday. Oh well.

shummie
12-28-2004, 06:01 PM
That's a terrible story. But it's nice that you didn't bitchslap that girl yourself since your girlfriend (obviously another girl) wasn't there to do it.

- Jason

bunky9590
12-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, dont go counting yourself a tourney win wit like 21 left to go just because you have a big stack (albeit really big) it will assuredly guaratee you a final table appearence, but as far as locking up the 1k? I dunno.

I was relatively short going into both final tables, and worked back up with patient play and pushing at the right times. Also by waiting out micro stacks when it was 6 handed to lock up some more $$. Things just worked out aside from the three outer beats.

My buddy wasn't exactly dissatisfied with the results.

Looks like we will be taking pieces of each other in future tournies as a good possibility.

kiemo
12-28-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Five minutes later, the firemen say it's okay... no fire. I rush back upstairs to see how my bud is doing. I login to find that I've blinded my way into the final table. I'm short stacked in 10th place.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you logged into your account to check out your friend who you assumed was logged into your account??

Am I misunderstanding a security issue here?

BK_
12-28-2004, 10:32 PM
goooo bunky. i was the 2+2er who he took over for. nice job. glad someone was online that i trusted, and glad the person online was capable of these kind of finishes.

bunky9590
12-28-2004, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
goooo bunky. i was the 2+2er who he took over for. nice job. glad someone was online that i trusted, and glad the person online was capable of these kind of finishes

[/ QUOTE ]

We made one hell of a team last night.
We gonna be the next Amarillo Slim and Doyle now or what? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Worked out well my friend.

I have now come out of the hole that was 2 bad months of poker thanks to the last three nights of playing. Didn't take long. Thanks again.

wuwei
12-29-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have now come out of the hole that was 2 bad months of poker thanks to the last three nights of playing. Didn't take long. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work, Bunky. Glad to hear it's turning around!

bunky9590
12-29-2004, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
glad someone was online that i trusted, and glad the person online was capable of these kind of finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwww shucks. Thanks for the kind words, like my ego needs any more padding!

bunky9590
12-29-2004, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you logged into your account to check out your friend who you assumed was logged into your account??

Am I misunderstanding a security issue here?

[/ QUOTE ]

two people cannot be logged in at the same time.

shummie
12-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Yeah, so I must have IM'd him first. But I was able to login because he had gotten disconnected.

Poop.

- Jason

LilPlaya
12-30-2004, 05:14 AM
Am I the only one who sees something unethical about this.

This seems in no way fair to the other players in the tournament who may have spent hours following your play and trying to get a read on you, then use that info without knowing they are now against a completely different person.

I have a friend who doesn't play tournaments because he full game play has gone to hell (he only plays live shorthanded). I on the otherhand am a horrible shorthanded player. Would it be fair for us to play as a team?

Shouldn't this be classified as collusion and violating the one player to a hand rules (although im sure the one player to a hand rule is constantly violated online)

LilPlaya

bunky9590
12-30-2004, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who sees something unethical about this.

This seems in no way fair to the other players in the tournament who may have spent hours following your play and trying to get a read on you, then use that info without knowing they are now against a completely different person.

I have a friend who doesn't play tournaments because he full game play has gone to hell (he only plays live shorthanded). I on the otherhand am a horrible shorthanded player. Would it be fair for us to play as a team?

Shouldn't this be classified as collusion and violating the one player to a hand rules (although im sure the one player to a hand rule is constantly violated online)

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up an excellent point.

Its kind of a grey area. There technically was one player to a hand. We didnt sit and play together, nor did we have contact while each other was playing. However, when certain players are coached (and actually pay for that service) the coach will school tem online while playing on occassion. Unethical? Meh, I don't know.

Collusion? Not exactly. It was a situation where he had an emergency come up and needed a replacement. its not like this is done on a regular basis.

As far as the other players getting a line on him/me. We play a similar style anyway but you may give the players in the tourney way too much credit for thought process.

My style is probably a bit more conservative than his, but my style will put some other players to the test for all there chips when i feel its right to do so, and risk my own tournament life in the process.

Example: I don't know if he does this stuff or not, but last night down to three handed, equal stacks, and blinds getting high, Button folds, SB min raises to 800, he has 3600, I have 2500, I have Q5s. I push. Sb folds.

My style is tight, but willing to put in on the line. The mext 3 blinds in the SB and BB were folded to me and I walked through them because of the fact they were afraid I would set them in. I managed to build up a nice stack untill I went out HU with a pair/OESD that didn't come through against villain's top pair/rag kicker.

Do I think its unethical to play it the way we played it in an emergency? NO.

If we play it as a team and say he hands it off to me every time the final table is reached, it would most definitely be unethical. Comprende?

David04
12-30-2004, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What if he switches gears by himself? Starts playing super-loose or something? Is that unethical? Sounds like the exact situation you just described, but every pro says changing gears is the key to winning.

OMG, TEH PROS CHEAT!!!1

BK_
12-30-2004, 12:31 PM
there is no one to a hand rule for online poker.