PDA

View Full Version : Underrated/Unknown

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 03:30 PM
I was poking around on another internet forum dedicated solely to music, and in the hip-hop section, no one even mentioned any of the groups that I listen to. I went to the section for rock and I have never heard (of) any of these bands before in my life. I realized that this is due to the fact that some really good music doesn't get much press due to their commercial viability, size of their record label, etc. I am out of the loop on a lot of things that I know I'd like if I came across them. I feel like I'm missing out. So, if any of you know of any music/books/movies that don't get that much exposure and are worth checking out, tell me about them. I'm interested in hearing/reading/seeing the stuff that you like that I may have missed out on b/c of being so pigeonholed (only hip-hop/"classic rock" like hendrix, Zeppelin, etc./small amounts of jazz) for so long. So, anyone wanna hip me to anything?

If you're interested in the same:

They Might Be Giants is one of my favorite bands. If the kids' songs come to mind at their mention, give them another try, especially their new album; "The Spine."

They Might Be Giants (http://www.tmbg.org/)

Did you play any Nintendo?

The Advantage (http://www.theadvantageband.com/)

I am quite the hip-hop connoisseur (sorry about the own-horn tooting), and so I hate reading people argue that Pac, B.IG., Nas, and Jay-Z are the greatest rappers ever. Especially because of these guys:

Project Blowed (http://www.projectblowed.com/)
(esp. Mikah 9, Aceyalone, Abstract rude (Haiku D'etat) and Freestyle Fellowship)

Also for hip-hop fans:
People Under the Stairs (http://www.peopleunderthestairs.net/)
Quannum (http://www.quannum.com)
Hieroglyphics (http://www.hieroglyphics.com)
Also, the website is down, but if you like the idea of a slam poet with severe issues who writes very well and freestyles like a maniac, check out Sage Francis. The new Non-Prophets site should be up soon.

The only book I can think of is "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Kurt Vonnegut. Not too unknown, I know, but it contains some of my favorite short stories.

If you would like more info, PM me. What should I check out?

Don't you hate 3-betting AK PF and flopping overcards?

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Aceyalone is tight, never checked out Project Blowned though. Sage Francis, I have heard some good things, I am going to have to check him out.

BTW, Biggie is the best ever.

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aceyalone is tight, never checked out Project Blowned though. Sage Francis, I have heard some good things, I am going to have to check him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This Baffles me. You've clearly heard Aceyalone, and yet you are still able (assumedly straight-faced) to say Biggie is the best ever. Why is that? I'm seriously asking, I like him, but I just can't understand this. Do these L.A. cats play a lot of shows up there?

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 03:53 PM
they come up every now and then.

Dude, Biggies mic presence captivates me like no other. Lyrically, he is sick, its just to bad he only has two cds.

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 04:00 PM
You can't really count posthumous releases, I mean, that one song with Eminem!?!?! They did the same to Big L. If you get the chance to go see any of those Project Blowed cats, take it. They all at least put on a good show.

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
I'll try to download some tonight, while I play poker.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-28-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ignorance is bliss.

BusterStacks
12-28-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ignorance is bliss.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're certainly the authority and proof of this statement.

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ignorance is bliss.

[/ QUOTE ]
so you have never heard Biggie?

Shillx
12-28-2004, 05:55 PM
People Under the Stairs is good times. I got tons more where that came from if you want more underground names...

Brad

Eyedea, Abilities, Rjd2, Dynospectrum, Sage F., Aesop Rock, Scarub, Slug, Zion I, Planet Asia just to name a few...

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People Under the Stairs is good times. I got tons more where that came from if you want more underground names...

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Let 'em rip. I have heard of a lot more than I've heard, any recommendations?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-28-2004, 06:00 PM
I like biggie. I like beter rappers beter.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-28-2004, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ignorance is bliss.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're certainly the authority and proof of this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice random flaming.

brassnuts
12-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Aceyalone is the opposite of underrated. Could qualify as widly unknown, but to those that do you know of him, he's definitely overrated. Only song I like from him is Master your High.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-28-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aceyalone is the opposite of underrated. Could qualify as widly unknown, but to those that do you know of him, he's definitely overrated. Only song I like from him is Master your High.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was mad tight but sorta fell off despite claiming "we will never fall the [censored] off we promise"

BusterStacks
12-28-2004, 06:09 PM
It's most definitely NOT random.

Shillx
12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
I put up a few more in my 1st post. Anything from Def Jux or Rhymesayers. So Atmosphere, MF Doom, Brother Ali, Soul Position, Micranots, etc.

Stuff like Del the funkee homosapien, Tribe, talib kweli and Hi-tek, Prince paul, RBL Posse (old school west coast rap), Pharcyde, Moka Only, Emanon, Living Legends, LMNO, Murs, Company Flow, Buck 65, Andre Nickatina.

Okay that is enough for now. Managing a 9000+ song playlist after your hard drive fries isn't good times.

Brad

You would probably also like stuff like DJ Krush, DJ Cam, DJ Vadim, etc.

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 06:15 PM
um, isn't Rjd2 a beat maker and thats it? Planet Asia? why not just say Cali Agents?
I have heard of most of the people you listed, and I actually really like Cali Agents.

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you heard:
All Balls Don't Bounce
A Book of Human Language
Innercity Griots-Freestyle Fellowship (Aceyalone, Mikah 9, P.E.A.C.E., Self Jupiter)
To Whom it May Concern-FF
Haiku D'etat-Haiku D'etat (Aceyalone, Mikah 9, Abstract Rude)
Who Framed the A-Team?-A-Team (Aceyalone, Abstract Rude)
?

These are all exceptional records on which Aceyalone proves that he's one of the best ever. His 3rd and 4th solo albums: Accepted Ecclectic (from which "Master Your High" comes), and Love &. Hate, do not even come close to doing his talent justice.

Oh and Shillx, keep goin, I know those guys. What do you think of Living Legends?

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
um, isn't Rjd2 a beat maker and thats it? Planet Asia? why not just say Cali Agents?
I have heard of most of the people you listed, and I actually really like Cali Agents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Planet Asia's solo [censored] is better than Cali Agents, mostly cuz Rasco sucks. Anyone into Declaime/Lootpack?

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Rhymesayers is tight too.

B Dids
12-28-2004, 06:33 PM
A Book of Human Language is easily the best release discussed so far.

I'm not a fan of some of the other groups mentioned. If you're into west coast underground, it's hard to go wrong with Murs.

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 06:35 PM
WESTSIDE!!!!!!

B Dids
12-28-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm a big fan of the early Atmosphere stuff. Their latest record is OK, but not on par with the other stuff.

Brother Ali is amazing.

Micronots are nice (plus Akiem and I used to flame eachother).

Eyedea was a great battle rapper, boring on actual records.

The rest of the RSE kids are boring/lousy.

Other good indie hip-hop

Company Flow "Funcrusher Plus",
El-P "Fantastic Damage"
Cannibal Ox "The Cold Vein"
Aesop Rock "Labor Days"

There's more, but my brain is tired...

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 06:41 PM
I am going to check out some Aceyalone and some Murs tonight.

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of the early Atmosphere stuff. Their latest record is OK, but not on par with the other stuff.

Brother Ali is amazing.

Micronots are nice (plus Akiem and I used to flame eachother).

Eyedea was a great battle rapper, boring on actual records.

The rest of the RSE kids are boring/lousy.

Other good indie hip-hop

Company Flow "Funcrusher Plus",
El-P "Fantastic Damage"
Cannibal Ox "The Cold Vein"
Aesop Rock "Labor Days"

There's more, but my brain is tired...

[/ QUOTE ]

Labor Days is incredible. I like Funcrusher Plus, but El-P is way too hit-or-miss for me.

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 04:36 PM
mmmmbump.

seriously, what are some good bands?

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mmmmbump.

[/ QUOTE ]what are those?

what kind of rock do you like?

Vince Young
12-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Louis Logic, Copywrite, Tonedeff, CunninLynguists, Supernat, Vakill, Royce 5'9 are good.

Murs isn't really Westside...that's more like Ras Kass, Crooked I, etc.

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mmmmbump.

[/ QUOTE ]what are those?

what kind of rock do you like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know any more...I started listening primarily to hip-hop when I was like 15. So my tastes in rock mirror that of a 15 year old in 1997. I like rock with funk in it like RHCP, I'm a huge rage fan, I like primus, They Might be giants, weezer and nirvana (I know), sublime...There's a bunch, most of which are bands that I got into years ago.

I'm also looking for other music like maybe some new orleans funk, some blues (Taj Mahal pwns), Jam bands suck, perhaps even some stuff that's a little more...ass kicking shall we say? Anything really. My goal is to spend a lot of time listening to [censored] I've never heard before, diversify.

bholdr
12-29-2004, 06:06 PM
OOO

Del, the funky homosapien (monkeys i will make of men)

AngryCola
12-29-2004, 06:12 PM
"The String Cheese Incident"

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AngryCola
12-29-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flame away, but they are a great live band.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 06:30 PM
..... is hardly flaming.

anyways, yes they are talented musicians. No their music does not appeal to me. If i was on E or acid im sure it would sound beter. Im just not into bands that play 15 mins "jam" songs.

AngryCola
12-29-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
..... is hardly flaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but I am expecting more negative responses. Not just from you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 06:33 PM
I do too.

B Dids
12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Murs isn't really Westside...that's more like Ras Kass, Crooked I, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

ACK.

I'm not talking about a sound. I'm talking about location.

Ras Kass has more in common with Murs than Crooked I to me. At least the good version of Ras does.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 06:47 PM
hmmm... you are the same age as me, with very similar rock taste.

well, here are some new rock that I have enjoyed, not sure if you will like the same though.
Modest Mouse
The Shins
Robert Randolph and the Family Band

ah who knows, I really actually haven't heard much rock I like in a while(atleast more than just one song, sorry. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Maybe check out some of the new RHCP, I have liked most of that, Foo Fighters too.

If you want to here some stuff maybe you haven't heard before try this, Herbie Hancock "head hunters", turnipmonster told me about it, it is an awesome funk record.

Tenacious A
12-29-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They Might Be Giants

[/ QUOTE ]

TMBG = great. "Flood" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Genius from start to finish. I've heard a little of their first album, and "Lincoln" and "Apollo 18". I'll check out "The Spine".

He doesn't really fit into what turned into more of a hip hop thread, but Lyle Lovett reminds me of TMBG in terms of his quirky, well written lyrics. "Pontiac" and "I Love Everybody" are old favorites. He gets unfairly pigeonholed into the country genre. I hate country, but think LL is brilliant.

And finally...Tenacious D. God bless these idiots. It's too bad Jack Black became a movie star, because the D would be rocking our f-ing socks off more than ever by now.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Have you heard the meters? james brown? thazts some kick ass funk.

SomethingClever
12-29-2004, 06:58 PM
You ever heard of Ozma? They rock.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]never heard of the meters, but James Brown is cool. Herbie Hancock has no lyrics though, it is some very cool jazz funk with a trumpet, drums, and bass guitars and [censored], I really enjoy it and I am glad Turnipmonster told me about it!

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not talking to me. We saw the meters...remember?
And who hasn't heard of James Brown.

dr. klopek
12-29-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]never heard of the meters, but James Brown is cool. Herbie Hancock has no lyrics though, it is some very cool jazz funk with a trumpet, drums, and bass guitars and [censored], I really enjoy it and I am glad Turnipmonster told me about it!

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, at the beginning of "Watemelon Man," those are beer bottles with varying amounts of liquid in them.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-29-2004, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not talking to me. We saw the meters...remember?
And who hasn't heard of James Brown.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never seen the meters. You are on crack.

siccjay
12-30-2004, 05:18 AM
TECH-N9NE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dr. klopek
12-30-2004, 05:59 AM
The meters are good, real good. I've heard some tech n9ne that didn't even make me want to puke. The crusaders are another old funk band that I find quite enjoyable. No offense to those who like them, but I've only heard one band that I liked less than String Cheese Incident, and it's Widespread Panic. I bet they're cool to see though. maybe. I am listening to Nappy Roots right now...I like this. for some reason. I have been listening to the violent femmes lately and that's been great.

Are The Shins from Portland? Am I thinkin of Sneakin' Out? Neither?

ThaSaltCracka
12-30-2004, 11:59 AM
I actually really like Nappy Roots.

IndieMatty
12-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Dude, I love clogging. And I'm gonna get my spine pierced.

Tenacious A
12-30-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I love clogging. And I'm gonna get my spine pierced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask if you love Satan too, but your location says it all.

Bubbagump
12-30-2004, 04:57 PM
If you like Rock'n'Roll especially Heavier stuff, check out any Savatage record that has come out in the last 10 years (the stuff they did in the 80's is very good but it sounds dated now). Also check out any project done by any former or current musician who was ever associated with the band Savatage like:

Dr. Butcher
Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Bethoven's Last Night is highly recommended)
Circle to Circle
Jon Oliva (solo album Pain released next month)
Chris Caffery (solo album Faces released next month)