PDA

View Full Version : STOP Writing to Jackpot Jay!!!

jakethebake
12-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Why are all you people educating the fish? Please stop making recommendations to the masses to read Sklansky, Miller, etc.

drewjustdrew
12-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Seems to me that fish who want to learn will find the material. The fish who don't will be quickly broke.

BusterStacks
12-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I think I have made more money off of people misapplying the advice in SSHE that I have off of the actual content of the book.

B Dids
12-28-2004, 05:54 PM
I agree with both of the responses.

You have a horse/water/drink situation here. Bad players aren't bad for not knowing how to play, they're bad for want of any desire to play better.

sublime
12-28-2004, 05:55 PM
I think I have made more money off of people misapplying the advice in SSHE that I have off of the actual content of the book.

im sure you are kidding.

well i hope so

drewjustdrew
12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

im sure you are kidding.

well i hope so

[/ QUOTE ]

I think buster is being completely forthright and I agree with him 100%. Anybody who played before 2001 faced a lot of people with definite flaws, but an otherwise passable game. They faced very few total fish. Good players still made a lot of money. Most players above a certain $ limit have read a lot of books and material on poker, but many still do not fix their leaks. Not because they don't know better, but because they have psychological hangups that prevent them from curing their bad habits.

jakethebake
12-29-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think buster is being completely forthright and I agree with him 100%. Anybody who played before 2001 faced a lot of people with definite flaws, but an otherwise passable game. They faced very few total fish. Good players still made a lot of money. Most players above a certain $ limit have read a lot of books and material on poker, but many still do not fix their leaks. Not because they don't know better, but because they have psychological hangups that prevent them from curing their bad habits.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree to some extent. There are two kinds of fish though. Ignorant and Undisciplined. The books will cure the first, but not the second. Why point the first category to the books. I'd just as soon have both fish out there.

sublime
12-29-2004, 10:41 AM
think buster is being completely forthright and I agree with him 100%.

i hear this stuff about people misapplying concepts from eds book all the time. i doubt these people are putting food on anybodys plate. if they are even TRYING to apply the concepts in eds books you profit margin over these people is very small. very.

drewjustdrew
12-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Agreed, profit margin is smaller, but they will be there for a long time. It's like a slot machine. They are reinforced for bad play once in a while by having a winning session or two, or winning a few poorly played hands. While many of their plays may be correct, in the long run, their mistakes will result in losses.

Fishy players will be gone quickly. If you are preying on fish alone, you had better hope new ones keep replacing the old ones. It won't last forever, even if we all stop helping people improve their games.

fnord_too
12-29-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are all you people educating the fish? Please stop making recommendations to the masses to read Sklansky, Miller, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to point out, these boards we all profit from are provided by some nice people in the business of selling books. It's bad form to basically say keep our hosts products in obscurity in their own forums.

Personally, I think anyone capable of understanding and applying the knowledge of 2+2 books will find them. I think all the people capable of buying 2+2 books may not.

MicroBob
12-29-2004, 11:35 AM
I've seen a couple ofplayers post HH's something like

6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in BB

flop - K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

where they thought the pot was big enough to chase their combo of "backdoor-flush and back-door straight draws".

One of these posts was even titled something like "Just like SSHE taught me!!" (and wasn't intended to be facetious).

In spite of Ed's explanations that you need to consider the likelihood that you will win if your draw comes through (and specific statements regarding 4-flushes on the board) ...these posters actually believed that their 6-high flush-draw actually was valuable.

I do generally agree though that most players will be improved over their old weak-tight game even if they only kinda/sorta vaguely approximate the ideas of SSHE.
But some of the misapplications I have seen have been simply stunning.

ThaSaltCracka
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But some of the misapplications I have seen have been simply stunning.

[/ QUOTE ] dude, the book is a trip. I bought it a few weeks ago, and really it is drastically different that just about anything I have read. I understand a lot of the concepts, but I know I am misapplying a lot, if not most of them.

On the surface the book may scream out to people "BE A FISH, CHASE FLUSHES, CALL DOWN LOTS OF HANDS!", but obviously it doesn't say that. It is taking me some time to get use to this change of play, and I am not sure how long it will take me. Don't be surprised some(maybe even a lot) of people are misapplying it, it is quiet a change from the "norm".

I think a lot of people may buy Ed's book, try out what he is saying, completely botch his concepts, and revert back to their rockish ways. I just hope I figure it out and do the opposite.

Dynasty
12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People were worried about this 5, 10, and 15 years ago. Yet, the games are better than ever.

Danielih
12-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Ahh Dynasty, the voice of reason