PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Mistakenly Amputates Wrong Foot

Zoltri
12-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Mon Dec 27,10:03 PM ET

TUXTLA GUTIERREZ, Mexico - A doctor at a public hospital in southern Mexico mistakenly amputated the right leg of an elderly patient who had sought treatment for an infection in his left foot, the patient's family announced Sunday.

Seeking treatment for a foot wound aggravated by diabetes, Alberto Lopez, 74, was admitted to a Social Security Institute hospital in Tuxtla Gutierrez, 430 miles south of Mexico City, and underwent surgery on Friday.

But the patient emerged from surgery without a right leg — and still suffering from the original infection — according to family members who filed a complaint Sunday with the state attorney general's office and a national medical arbitration commission.

As of Sunday, Lopez had not yet been notified that the wrong limb was amputated unnecessarily, according to his daughter, Esperanza Lopez.

"He could die on us just from the impact," she said. "What we are demanding of the authorities is that the person responsible be punished."

Hospital director Jesus Siman acknowledged that a mistake was made and said the responsible doctor had been removed from the hospital while authorities investigate the incident. The doctor under investigation could not be reached for comment.

jakethebake
12-28-2004, 12:48 PM
I heard about this. He tried to sue, but the judge threw out the case...

<font color="white">...because he didn't have a leg to stand on. </font>

elwoodblues
12-28-2004, 12:49 PM
[groan]

Ray Zee
12-28-2004, 05:51 PM
the judge said the guy didnt have a leg to stand on.

stabn
12-28-2004, 05:52 PM
After this the doctors insurance is going to cost him and arm and a leg.

jakethebake
12-28-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the judge said the guy didnt have a leg to stand on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Ray. I guess people didn't notice it was in white underneath. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ray Zee
12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
i didnt either.

but \\ most hospitals these days, at least the ones i would go to, mark the spot for an operation with a pen so this doesnt happen. in general hospitals, like florida is where you go to die not get better.