PDA

View Full Version : A very easy question...

10-03-2001, 06:03 PM
Me and my friends are have a little discussion about a hand I didn`t play at paradise poker.

I was playing at a 2-4 table and my stack was between 60-70$

Here it is;

I`m delt Q-Js in small blind. The guy UTG is a good friend of mine and I know exactly how he plays.

He raises (I`m putting him on A-Q or better), and the guy to his left three-bets it and gets one call from a MP. It`s a tight table and it`s very seldom reraised pre-flop.

I`m putting the three better and the caller on jacks or better.

It`s folded to me and knowing my hand is beaten by three players I fold, without hesitation.

To me this is like calling with 2-7o preflop, but all my friends think it`s a bad fold.

The flop came with 9-10-K rainbow with XX on turn and river.

My friend (UTG) wins it in a showdown with his pocket rockets and the other players don`t show.

What do you guys think?? Bad fold or easy fold??

-Nulle

10-03-2001, 08:48 PM
Easy fold.

I think your friends are results oriented. You suspected that you were highly dominated and you were right about it. You hit a very lucky flop (I guess unlucky because you folded), in the long run you will lose money by calling in this situation. If you are in the big blind its a close call but I still think I fold.

10-04-2001, 06:15 AM
n/t

10-04-2001, 12:26 PM
The answer to this question lies in the fact that you know the player to your left very well. If you know he has a high pair, then you are probably right to fold.

10-04-2001, 12:43 PM
Calling with QJs in that spot is actually worse then calling with crap like 72o (maybe 72o is a bit too crappy though, but say 76s). Since you know your friend has at least AQ you could be badly dominated by AQ, QQ or JJ. AA and KK has you badly aswell. Basically the only hand that hasn't got you badly beaten is AK. But you're still behind.

Easy fold...

Sincerely, Andreas

10-04-2001, 06:09 PM
If the flop had come K-9-2, would it make the play and better or any worse? Just because you would have flopped a straight, doesnot make it a good hand to play. The reason online games are so good is because of people WHO PLAY THOSE HANDS! The few times they flop a straight never makes up for the times when the flop comes K-9-2.

It was a good fold, especially since you know the quality hands the other people are playing.