PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing a Hand. Re. Check Raising on Flop

That guy
12-28-2004, 11:31 AM
By the way, I'm not particularly fond of the check raise play the first player used. The reasons for that are too involved to go into here, but suffice it to say that check raising as opposed to checking and calling is not a strategy that gets my recommendation except as an occasional variance to what you normally do.

Why no check-raise here? Since out of position, you are going to bet the turn if you like your hand so why not check-raise and then lead out on 4th??

turnipmonster
12-30-2004, 02:07 PM
I was about to post a question about this as well. I am assuming that mason is talking specifically about a heads up pot facing an in position 3 bettor (or was it a more general comment?).

at any rate, I am failing to see why checkraising isn't superior to checkcalling in many cases. the only reason I can guess mason is saying this is by restricting the pot size to 4.75 BB, you will be laying 5.75:1 immediate, 6.75:1 implied odds on a turn bet, basically making it a breakeven call/fold situation assuming you put him on overcards and he will get a bet from you if he hits. building the pot on the flop gives overcards clear odds to draw on the turn.

but I get the feeling I am missing the real reasoning entirely. I would appreciate it if you would expound on this a bit, mason.

--turnipmonster