PDA

View Full Version : Improving one's game in Hold 'Em

coolhanded
12-28-2004, 11:26 AM
RE: the topic of improving one's game, I'd appreciate some feedback on my situation.

I've been playing limit hold 'em online seriously on PartyPoker since September of this year. Not a long time, but I don't think I'm a beginner either. Before putting any money down, I read Sklansky's "Theory of Poker", "Hold 'Em Poker" (100-page book on the basics), and most of "Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players". I've logged a few hundered hours and basically have tried to approach the game in textbook fashion (tight aggressive). I started with $200 bankroll on $.50/$1. Made a little and felt I could move to $1/$2 and did. Made $500 one weekend and started dreaming of my hourly rate and how I might could make this a second job. My account peaked at $650 in pure playing profits. Moved to $2/$4 about 6 weeks ago. My account is now worth the $200 I started with.

I would say the 2 areas of my game I feel most uncomfortable about are (1) reading hands, and (2) varying my game with bluffs. My feeling is (1) is simply hard to do, even for very good players, and I can often call hole cards, but miss enough to make me wonder. (2) basically seems like a negative expectancy play in small stakes online limit hold 'em----really hard to bluff people out. Besides that, I feel like I know what I'm doing----what starting hands to play, attention to position, when to raise, call, fold, semi-bluff, etc. I understand the math of the game.

So why is my account back to where I started? Normal volatility? Given the amount I've played, I can't believe that. If you graphed my daily closing account values like a stock chart, there is no uptrend. I think I'm an intelligent guy and have done my homework on poker enough that I feel like I understand what's going on, but the playing profits just aren't there. Very frustrating! Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

nuclear500
12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
You got over confident. You got a great rush of cards to bulid a nice (3x from starting is nice) bank roll and continued playing the rush even though it wasn't there. After winning a lot, even an A6 in middle position starts looking good unless you discipline yourself.

You probably should have stepped away, or dropped back down in limit once you dropped your initial buyin of $200 and tightened up hard. People will pay off the nuts, sometimes. Limit to make a lot of money is straight forward since as you said, bluffing generally doesn't work except against other good players.

Fabian
12-28-2004, 11:36 AM
You shouldn't play 2/4 with a $650 bankroll, especially without very much playing experience.

About the bluffing. Don't bluff in these games. This is not always true but very very often. Instead, value bet as much as you can.

The 300 big bets rule is probably good to stick to. Don't play 1/2 without $600, 2/4 without $1200, etc. Downswings happen and will always happen, and there also is no real guarantee you're a winning player yet. For some reason there are quite many who do well when they start playing but eventually lose their money because they aren't winning players. Keep an eye open.

Good luck.

ChicagoTroy
12-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Above advice is solid, you also need to read Small Stakes Holdem by Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth.