PDA

View Full Version : Preflop adjustments for the half blind structure

LaggyLou
12-28-2004, 09:58 AM
So here I am at THE HOTEL at Mandalay Bay for a couple of days, and naturally I've hit the poker room. They used to have 6/12 game here I hoped to play in, but these days they are basically spreading two games - a 2/4 blinds $200 buy in no-limit, and a 4/8 with a half-kill and half (i.e., $1/$2) blinds.

For those who have not played this structure before, preflop it only takes $2 to limp, but the first raise is a full SB (i.e., to $6). The identical game is spread elsewhere (I've also played it at, e.g., Sam's Town).

Very often, tables will be very passive preflop, such that you can be very confident that if you limp there will not be a raise behind you. These types of tables are also very passive post-flop - it is common for flops to be checked through. That having been said, people call with anything so you are likely going to have to show down a hand to win.

In these circumstances, what adjustments would you make -- if any -- in your preflop limping/raising standards?

JinX11
12-28-2004, 10:05 AM
I'd play more speculative hands that tend to draw well. If the others won't punish me by raising pre-flop, I'd probably play more suited connectors / small and medium pairs out of position more often.

Best of luck to you there!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif