PDA

View Full Version : Omaha on PP

10-02-2001, 08:36 PM
Anyone play this game on PP? When I go to Vegas or AC I usually spend the first day playing Omaha in order to increase my BR for the trip. It usually is very effective considering 4-8 Omaha hi-lo8 is an "aquarium" game. As we all know it doesn't take much skill other than card selection and some hand-reading to win big. But it's boring and I can only stand it for about 8 hours. I took that idea to PP. I play for about 2 hours and then play Tex hold'em the rest of the time.

However, it's not working out as well because there are WAY more rocks in the the game. Three handed flops constantly. Quartering all the time. Some seemingly tough players raise a lot more than I'm used to, and the skill factor seems to have increased dramatically. This weakness causes me to get bluffed out of my low draws and some made flushes and or straights. The best advice I heard is don't play in those games. Look for the easy games. They're few and far-between on PP.

...So what basic adjustments do I make in a "rock game"?

(Hi-lo for advanced by Ray Zee is on the way. I lost my old copy)

Thanks

10-02-2001, 09:15 PM
Considering both of the two biggest sites are PP, maybe you should specify one or the other.

The games come and go on Paradise, sometimes there is one loose player and then everyone loosens up. Other times they are rocks like you say. Rock games are favorable for more raising with a quality pair or four high cards. Drawing to anything becomes rather unprofitable unless its the high nuts. Two pair becomes a pretty solid hand as well. In general start don't draw to a low unless you have high potential with it. Push made high hands and fold everything else. Keep that in mind when making your hand selection, things such as A-2 and trash without a suited Ace are virtually unplayable unless you feel confident you get in for one bet and there are at least 4 players on the flop.

10-02-2001, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I meant Paradise.

When you say two pair become pretty solid you mean two "big" pairs (9 or better) in the hole...right? I've always thought middle pairs and low pairs are trash. Even something like KK77. I chuck that except from late position for one bet with 6 or 7 callers already in and from the blinds. In these [Paradise] games there are rarely 6 or 7 callers.