PDA

View Full Version : What to do on turn

10-02-2001, 07:46 PM
5/10 paradise poker, 10 players.

I have AKo on the button. utg limps. MP limps. I raise. Both call. 3 players.

Flop comes J 6 2 rainbow. Both check. I bet. Both call.

Turn comes 3 rainbow. Both check. What should I do here?

10-02-2001, 08:47 PM
Is UTG a decent player? If so he might have 66, JJ, 22. If he's not so good he might have all those cards and maybe KJ, QJ, JT. Or the other guy has a set and is letting you build the pot since there is no str or flush draw.

Check. Your probably already beat and don't have too many outs to win.

What happened?

10-03-2001, 02:41 AM
"Check. Your probably already beat and don't have too many outs to win."

Scared poker

PG

10-03-2001, 05:17 AM
There was an interesting article in Cardplayer recently (it may have been by Jim Brier, I can't remember) about why you should follow up a bet on the flop with a bet on the turn.

The point, broadly, was that a bet on the turn may well get you a free showdown, and/or may fold people because of the double-size bet compared to the flop. In this situation you might get one of these guys to lay down 6-7 or a small pair or something.

If you don't already know, you can read article archives from the mag at cardplayer.com

10-03-2001, 12:01 PM
1. You have position and what could easily be the best hand.

2. You may get a better hand to fold.

3. You eliminate the possibility of getting bluffed on the river if another rag hits.

10-03-2001, 02:01 PM
I'd say that occasionally you can bet your big-slick (post flop, without improvement) with reckless abandon. But why are these other players calling? He raised after people already bet, so he won't be perceived as on a steal. Understanding what these players are like is important. This decision has more things to be considered then what was given in the original post.

I still say check! It's not scared, it's saving bets when you're already beat...that would be smart. There's no draw so your giving a freecard won't hurt you. YOU can use a free card to hit an A or K to even give you a chance to win. High card won't win. Even so, you could be drawing dead if just one of them shares his kicker with your A or K and already has a pair.

If there was a flush/ str draw I might be inclined to keep betting so if it misses I can run them out on the river...there's no draw so WHY ARE THEY CALLING?

More money is lost in playing "tough-guy" limit poker by betting and raising AK, AQ, AJ TT without improvement,[every time]into a multiway pot, all the way to the river without respecting the opponents reasons for calling.

IMHO

10-03-2001, 09:33 PM
"I'd say that occasionally you can bet your big-slick (post flop, without improvement) with reckless abandon."

Betting the probable best hand in postition after two players checked to you is reckless abandon?

"But why are these other players calling?"

Because that is what calling stations do.

"He raised after people already bet, so he won't be perceived as on a steal."

Nobody bet. They checked on flop and turn.

"Understanding what these players are like is important. This decision has more things to be considered then what was given in the original post."

More information is always helpful

"I still say check! It's not scared, it's saving bets when you're already beat...that would be smart."

Why are you already beat? Because they check/called you on flop? Definately scared poker.

"There's no draw so your giving a freecard won't hurt you. YOU can use a free card to hit an A or K to even give you a chance to win. High card won't win. Even so, you could be drawing dead if just one of them shares his kicker with your A or K and already has a pair."

Yes, you could be drawing dead. You could also have the best hand. Our opponents only show of strength so far was limping preflop. If they had a J they would likely have bet into you on flop or check/raised the flop.

"If there was a flush/ str draw I might be inclined to keep betting so if it misses I can run them out on the river"

Run them out if they miss their draw? If they miss their draw doesn't that mean you have the best hand?

"More money is lost in playing "tough-guy" limit poker by betting and raising AK, AQ, AJ TT without improvement,[every time]into a multiway pot, all the way to the river without respecting the opponents reasons for calling."

You're right. But don't confuse "tough-guy" poker with smart, aggressive poker. There's no reason you can't check it down on the river with your unimproved AK if you think they won't call you with a worse hand. But, a check on the turn is bad because you likely still have the best hand and, unless your opponents play scared as well, they will bet into you on river with anything now that you showed weakness on turn.

PG

10-04-2001, 04:41 AM
I see your points but your basing it on the assumption they are "calling stations". I'm thinking they are typical or better. We don't really know that part, do we?...so if you don't know your opponent, caution is better until you do.

You reminded me why I stopped posting on this site. Taking line by line of my comments and ripping them with your opposite opinion is a rude way to argue. You simply demonstrate that you are an a$$hole and that you are very talented with the cut and paste buttons. Save the aggression for the table- dick-head.