PDA

View Full Version : Stealing blinds with middle pairs

illab
12-28-2004, 04:54 AM
A few times recently in my SNGs during bubble time I'll find myself in relatively good chip position and I'll pick up a middle pocket pair like 66 or 88 and I don't have the discipline to lay them down. I'll raise a smaller stack 2.5-3 times the BB figuring theyll fold. Instead they go allin and because I'm getting good odds to call I do. I usually end up against overcards and when I lose become one of the short stacks struggling to get in the money. What do most of you do when you are 1st or 2nd in chips and you pick up a decent pair? Should I fold right away or after a reraise? Should I take my chances and better my chance of a 1st place finish?

SuitedSixes
12-28-2004, 07:42 AM
I'll raise 3XBB and then make my decision based on the stack of the raiser. Generally, I like to push, but that's because I hate to make post flop decisions, and with a push, I am guaranteed of seeing all 5 cards. I look at it this way, your hand doesn't need to improve, overcards need to improve AND have you avoid anything helpful. I also justify the push, assuming (probably incorrectly) that my opponents are paying attention and will think twice before calling or re-raising my raises.

ColdestCall
12-28-2004, 11:56 AM
If I'm going to play these mid pairs as a big stack on the bubble, and I usually will, I'll just push preflop. It's too easy to get outplayed on the flop with a mid pair by someone who called 3xBB, so just push preflop and put everyone else to a decision.