PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from first trip to Vegas

ARodOSU
12-28-2004, 03:22 AM
In my first trip to Vegas, a total of 5 days, I made $466 playing 2-4 (also played 1 hour of 4-8 at Bellagio where I left up $12). Averaging 3-4 hours a day, I played about 20 hours (wish I could've played more, but I was with my family). I have to admit, although I was optimistic going in, I never expected to have such success in my first trip. I only had one losing session in which I lost $14 after literally folding for two hours straight. Now from my experience, it seems that the level of play was equally as bad as the lowest limits online...however I never have the same success online. I'm wondering if the success I had could be attributed to the fact that I didn't get bored like I do online, or if it's simply because I had a good streak of luck. It's tough to compare the two with all their differences but I'd love to know whether or not this small sample is a fluke. Can anyone else relate to a story like this?

Chairman Wood
12-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Congrats on your winnings... Honestly, a lot of this has to do with sample size. A lot of people could have a good week where they win 500 or so on a vacation in vegas but it doesn't mean they are a winning player. Read books, post here, play lots of hands and it will start to make better sense. Playing about 20 hours of live poker probably put you playing about 800-1000 hands. A lot of us play more than that in a night online. About the idea of getting bored, i multitable so I actually find myself getting bored easier playing live then I do online. I also find myself getting drunk live so that usually becomes a big problem concerning playing winning poker. Another thing is that the skill level of limits of live poker and online poker are not the same. 2/4 and 3/6 online play much tougher than their live counterparts. This I believe has to do with the fact the worse players tend to go to the lowest available limit which is usually .5/1 online (depending on the site. One thing though, I have gone out of my way to tell you that you're winnings may have been a fluke. At the same time it could have been due to some good poker. Keep with things, stay confident, read books (and reread them)