PDA

View Full Version : Two tens, terrible turn trouble

Azhrarn
12-28-2004, 02:52 AM
Nice, looser than average 5/10 table, not that you can tell here. No specific reads on the two villains. They hadn't caught my attention yet.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks...

Okay, here's where things get tricky. I was torn between a bet and a check here. If I'm ahead, I clearly need to bet, because I don't want to give a free draw to single hearts. But if I'm behind, I clearly need to check, to see if my straight comes in (preferably without a fourth heart.) I decide there's a decent chance I'm ahead...

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls...

I should mention UTG only had fifty cents left after his call here. Okay, second tricky spot. Here's where I realize I should have decided what I would do if I got checkraised before I bet. I figure I'm probably either drawing dead or drawing to six outs. If I'm drawing live, I have odds to call. I decide it's not worth it and fold.

Thoughts? I'll post the river and results later.

jediael
12-28-2004, 03:18 AM
Your pot odds for the call are 1-8, for that, assuming that your opponent is not bluffing, you need at least 5 clear outs to call.
Against a Flush you are dead, othwise as you said you figure to have about 6 outs, but note that you might also draw to a split.

I think this decision is highly marginal, but I would tend to fold here.

Yobz
12-28-2004, 03:22 AM
The first poster brings up some good points but I think table image at 5/10 might be somewhat important. If it is as marginal as I think it is, it might be worth it to call so that others don't see you bet and fold to a single raise (thats directly from SSH). Anyone agree/disagree with me?

Azhrarn
12-28-2004, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it is as marginal as I think it is, it might be worth it to call so that others don't see you bet and fold to a single raise (thats directly from SSH). Anyone agree/disagree with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this line of thinking is more appropriate on the cheaper streets and in heads-up situations. I agree it has some value. I just don't know if it's appropriate here. But that was one of the reasons I posted this hand, because I was having trouble figuring out how close this decision was.

Redeye
12-28-2004, 01:58 PM
With only two opponents this becomes a lot more difficult, IMO. If you had more opponents, this would be an easy check on the turn because it sucks getting c/r if and when you are drawing live.

If BB or UTG had anything w/ 2 hearts I think you would've heard from them on the flop. I think you're probably still drawing live often enough to call the turn getting about 11:1 and see a river card.

SamIAm
12-28-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your pot odds for the call are 1-8

[/ QUOTE ] I think you're miscounting. Your bet, the raise, and the call make 5, plus the 6 in the middle.

I think I call for the straight, but I agree it's marginal.
-Sam

Azhrarn
12-28-2004, 03:09 PM
The river is the 8 of diamonds, completing my would-be straight. I give a small sigh.

BB bets, UTG throws in his last fifty cents. Then they both show AK with one heart, and I'm blinded by a sudden migraine.

BWebb
12-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Everyone's talking about what to do after being raised on the turn. I think the initial turn action is more important. I think a check is in order here. True, you may be ahead still and not want to give a lone heart a free card. However, the fact that there are two overcards to your pair makes this a check to me. Giving a free card is terrible, but that assumes you are still ahead. There's a good chance you are behind already, so you need to catch to win. I think I check.