View Full Version : simple question

bugstud
12-28-2004, 01:59 AM
7th hand of a party $100 sng, no real action thus far

you're UTG+1 with 99, UTG makes it 60 at the 10/15 blind level

hump it or dump it?

texasrattlers
12-28-2004, 02:58 AM
I call and play the 99 for set value only. My rule is I will call raises w/ low-mid PPs up to 1/15 of my stack, and "No set, no bet" on the flop.

bugstud
12-28-2004, 04:23 AM
I'm just starting the $100 level and wonder how often it gets repopped behind you here

table had been tight so I mucked

stripsqueez
12-28-2004, 07:45 AM
its an auto fold for me - too much and too close to the front

if you call you definately have to fold when someone reraises behind you - if you see a flop you have to hit a 9 to have any realistic chance of winning the pot because you cant sensibly call a big bet from UTG

i limp or call a small raise with any pair from say 88 down if i'm close to the back - with 99-JJ i will open limp or call a mini raise near the front or sometimes open raise

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

DrPhysic
12-28-2004, 10:46 AM
I agree. But it is putting yourself at some risk, because most players will not limp/fold preflop if there is a raise from later position, and IMO that's just what you have to do.

I'd be more comefortable with same hand same play a couple positions later, like MP2 - LP. I might put in a raise with it from button or possibly CO esp if I have a rock or two in the blinds.

Realistically I fold it 90% from UTG, UTG+1, MP1.

Doc

ColdestCall
12-28-2004, 11:15 AM
I used to call in this situation, before I spent time reading these 2+2 posts and really thinking about my game. Now I believe that calling in situations like this was one of the major leaks in my SNG game (btw, I play the 55s at party - are the 100s all that much different?) I find that calling here is just a waste of chips way too often. Not only do you fold when you miss your set, but you also fold to a reraise behind you, which happens about 35-40% of the time. So for this call to be right you have to believe you are going to take almost all of UTG's chips every time you make your set, and that just doesnt happen. Calling this hand only gets you into trouble and wastes chips that you need later. It's not worth it for the 1 in 20 times or so you double up. If I was CO or Button I might consider a call, depending on the table.