PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you guys move up?

emonrad87
12-28-2004, 01:18 AM
I was looking at the results from the Open Internet Challenge for December, and something struck me. Some of the people have logged over 20k hands at the same limits. Now, assuming avery reasonable winrate of 2.5BB/100 (this is VERY reasonable given who these people are) this would be plenty to move up to the next limit (well over 300BB in winnings alone). So, why not? This is not an attack on anyone, or anything like that. I'm genuinely curious why you would choose to not move up in limits.

manpower
12-28-2004, 03:41 AM
Well I'm not in the challenge, but I am just reaching bankroll for 3/6 this week. So why will me next session be at 2/4 even though I've got the roll for 3/6? I think it's partly a confidence thing, but also a variance thing; a 100bb downswing is a lot more at the next level and, despite what we know, it's a little worrying.

That said, I think a lot of single limit players either already play at their skill level (15/30 or 10/20) or need to draw from the bankroll for other reasons. That and not everyone is so excited to play 5/10 6max.

Alobar
12-28-2004, 04:27 AM
I dont move up to 10/20 yet because I'm doing so well at 5/10 SH that I want to keep making the cash. I'm worried moving up will meet with a initial loss and I want to wait a month or two so that I've got a HUGE cushion so I dont have to worry about anything financially away from the tables while I work on tackling 10/20

sin808
12-28-2004, 05:54 AM
I didn't participate in the OIC, but I'm going to answer anyway /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have 15k (or so) hands at .50/1 and have won at a pretty good rate.
But,
- I had to withdraw a good chunk of my BR recently.
- It's not really about the money for me (yet).
- I like being able to get alot of experience on the cheap.
- There's things in my game I'd like to improve upon before moving up.
- I started severely under rolled ($50) so I had to work my way up to a "normal" roll.

pfkaok
12-28-2004, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the people have logged over 20k hands at the same limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

20k is nowhere near enough to say that you're a "true" 2.5 BB/100 winner... or even close to that. If you don't KNOW that you're destroying your current game its tough to hvae a lot of confidence when you move up, esp if you start off with a cold streak as many people seem to do. And if you're living off the money, then 300BB is not even close to enough to handle swings, esp at a new limit.

kenberman
12-28-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
20k is nowhere near enough to say that you're a "true" 2.5 BB/100 winner...

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, but I also don't think it's a good idea for me to play .50/1 for 500,000 more hands to find out what my true win rate is. Rather, I'm comfortable with my play, have a bankroll to play some 1/2, so I'm moving up (slowly but surely!).

Onaflag
12-28-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's partly a confidence thing

[/ QUOTE ]

That hit the nail on the head. I'm not in the challenge yet either, but can answer this question. My winnings can easily fund living at 3/6, but I live at 1/2 because of the emotional swings. When my brain stops thinking of chips as chips and I consider the amount of money in terms of "amount of money" and not BB, I'm playing too high.

Onaflag........

Ponks
12-28-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm in the challenge and have over 3,000 BB for 5/10 6 max, but I'm still trying to work on my 6-max game before I move up to 10/20.

Ponks

BusterStacks
12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
not everyone wants to move up.

Paul2432
12-28-2004, 06:13 PM
There was a huge thread on this subject a few months ago.

Paul

littlejohn
12-28-2004, 08:48 PM
For me it's been to establish a win rate and also it's comfortable to play at the same limit for an extended period of time. Additionally, it allows me to give regular checks to the wife, which allows me to play more - and the cycle renews itself.

I moved up from .50/1 to 1/2 to 2/4 about as quickly as possible, but have settled at 2/4 for the reasons mentioned above. I have begun to think about jumping to 3/6 - but need to put more serious study into my game before making that jump, just haven't been completely motivated (as a more recreational player) to plug every single leak. It will require more study and now I'm just having fun.

bicyclekick
12-28-2004, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was a huge thread on this subject a few months ago.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread here. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=974010&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=1&vc=1)