PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started in MTT's... Advice?

LethalRose
12-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Well after a long break due to vacations all throughout summer my schedule will no longer allow me to play 3-4 hours everynight at the NL cash games, I now have 4-5 maybe once a week. That being said I've decided to give the MTT's a try. I cashed out all my money from Party and im beginning a fresh start with $50 (too low?) at poker stars. My plan is to start up a the 1$ and move up, im no longer playing to make serious money (graduating from college and talking about marrage) so im ok with starting out at the bottom, seeing as im new to MTT's it seems logical. So far I've played 4 of these beating out 60% of the field every time (not ITM yet). Does anyone who started out like this have any advice? should I move up and play the $5+1? (My br can support that) I've just recently purchased TPFAP and im reading though it..need to do 3-4 more times prolly though.

As far as play style im pretty much Tight aggressive/aggressive. I think the poker stars is best for me but i can switch to party quickly if anyone disagrees with me.

One thing i need help with is how to play in the early blinds, do I play hyper aggressive and play my small edges or stay back and wait for a monster?

any advice/comments/insults welcome.

David04
12-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Well definitely begin with the low level buy-ins. $50 is fine if you are playing ONLY MTT's and playing only $1 buy-ins. (At least at the beginning) Read Harrington on Hold 'Em. As for the early levels, play speculative hands when the odds are right. Suited connectors, Axs, small pocket pairs(played for set value) are all good hands with mutliple limpers.

Good luck.