PDA

View Full Version : Caught set HU on 3-suited flop

Harv72b
12-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Reads: I've only got about 20 hands on villian at this point, but he's shown every indication of being very LAGgy, including a PFR above 18%. First orbit at the table, but already it seemed like a good one.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

I know the decision to limp 44 first in from MP1 is a questionable one. But the decision to call a loose PFR HU seemed easy enough. The c/r on the river was just because I was 110% sure that villian would bet.

I feel like I missed a value bet on the turn, but I felt at the time like I had to respect the possibility that he really did have a flush (or KK). Any other issues?

asdf1234
12-27-2004, 11:28 PM
I think I'd just keep pounding him on the turn. You're ahead of a LAG here much more often than not. If he does have it, good for him, but most of the time you're way ahead.

Piiop
12-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Limping preflop is worse than questionable - it's just plain bad. The table is only 7-handed with 1 fold already and there's a LAG with a PFR of 18% acting after you. I would fold.

On the turn, I would 3-bet. He's a LAG, you don't have to worry about him having the flush or KK yet.

asdf1234
12-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Oh yeah, I don't think open limping from there is a particularly good idea.

Harv72b
12-27-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Limping preflop is worse than questionable - it's just plain bad

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an acknowledged hole in my game that I'm gradually forcing myself to change. I still play small PPs too often, but at least I've (mostly) stopped myself from playing QJo &amp; JTo out of position. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

12-27-2004, 11:58 PM
I was going to tell you how bad that limp was, but it was already said.

And yes, I too would 3-bet here.

Harv72b
12-28-2004, 12:15 AM
Okay, now that I've admitted I was terribly wrong to limp 44 there after a unanimous response saying that, I'm thumbing through SSH &amp; see that Ed &amp; Co. recommend playing any PP in an unraised pot from MP, even on a tight table?

I realize that having a player likely to raise preflop yet to act changes things a bit, but based on my limited experience with him, he's also likely to pay off a lot of bets after the flop if I hit/he misses (as this hand shows). So, which is right?

12-28-2004, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, now that I've admitted I was terribly wrong to limp 44 there after a unanimous response saying that, I'm thumbing through SSH &amp; see that Ed &amp; Co. recommend playing any PP in an unraised pot from MP, even on a tight table?

I realize that having a player likely to raise preflop yet to act changes things a bit, but based on my limited experience with him, he's also likely to pay off a lot of bets after the flop if I hit/he misses (as this hand shows). So, which is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You want 4-5 minimum seeing a flop to make the implied odds +EV. You are not going to get that in almost any game by open limping in MP. The LAG player to your left makes it even worse because if he raises in all likely hood it will be 3 seeing the flop. This situation is definite -EV.

private joker
12-28-2004, 12:49 AM
I like this hand from the flop on. Good check-raise, good cap to charge him if he has one big club. Turn is correct, I think. And it sets up the most beautiful river check-raise of the week.

Richard Berg
12-28-2004, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The c/r on the river was just because I was 110% sure that villian would bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't apologize; it was a thing of beauty. Fold preflop.