PDA

View Full Version : Squelching debate

09-30-2001, 11:05 AM
The powers that be have now put down their iron boot. Mystery Man's thread looks to have been deleted (Day 3 - moving on up, I could be mistaken since I didn't see it but a reply survived). Also we (posters) have all been indicted and are now being tracked with some web server address or other. No other forum suffers this indignity. Two plus Two obviously derives a fraction of their revenue from Paradise advertising and they are looking to protect it. That should tell you all you need to know about those involved. Vote with your bankroll.

09-30-2001, 07:26 PM
The mystery man posts were clear attacks with absolutely no facts to back them up.We considered them irresponsible and vindictive and thus deleted them. If you have some criticisms to make of Paradise Poker or any other poker site feel free to go ahead. But we do require that you do so in a responsible and a professional manner.

Best wishes,

mason

09-30-2001, 09:22 PM
"The mystery man posts were clear attacks with absolutely no facts to back them up."

I see. After two thousand other 100% fact-free posts accusing Paradise poker of every possible offense including the Holocaust it's now time to draw the line.

Times must be getting tough at Paradise.

09-30-2001, 09:39 PM
I dont get it either. It's all very humorous to me. I have no idea what was different about this set of posts.

And- there's one more thing to which I take exception- actually.

I think it's wrong to post the domain/isp (im no computer expert-sorry if im using the wrong terminology) on past posts.

Certainly- the posters of this forum deserve the option of privacy- if they want it. And some of the domain names indicate where these posters are located. Don't get me wrong- Im sure- in the by-laws or guidelines of this forum- it states that we dont have that right- but it just seems to me to be the right thing to do.

I understand why this process was implemented. Certainly- there's nothing objectionable about that. But- give the posters the option- knowing the domain is going to be listed-- to NOT post. We don't have that option- when a post is already included in the forum.

09-30-2001, 11:54 PM
Mystery man(superhero?spiderman, superman,etc.) must have had some legitimacy to it. The ip adressing could be a method of the management trying to find out who he is. I truly would not be surprised to discover that Conjelco, or 2+2 are investors in Paradise.

10-01-2001, 12:51 AM
"I truly would not be surprised to discover that Conjelco, or 2+2 are investors in Paradise."

I hate to disappoint you but that's not the case.

10-01-2001, 05:28 AM
I agree with you entirely about the computer address being included for all to see - Management can see the addresses anyway if they wish, but there is no necessity for others to see them, and I do think it is against recognised and accepted Site privacy codes of ethics.

You have made your point, Mr Malmuth. Could you please now remove them?

Thank you.

10-01-2001, 07:07 AM
Did you happen to catch any posts by Miles Davis and Wardy over the past several months? Perhaps vicious personal attacks and liberal use of profanity falls into the responsible posting catagory on this forum.

Tom D

10-01-2001, 08:49 AM
... why computer addresses should not be displayed in a public domain without the owners' permissions being granted.

Who knows what sort of nuts get it into their heads to track them for who knows what reasons?

Please remove them, Mr Malmuth.

Thank you.

10-01-2001, 12:54 PM
Actually I don't make the decision to post the addresses that you are complaining about. This is done by Chuck Weinstock who does our forum administration. I'm sure that when he feels it is appropriate the addresses will come down.

Best wishes,

Mason

10-03-2001, 08:41 AM
... for removing the computer addresses.

10-03-2001, 07:30 PM
If everyone is so concerned with privacy, enter in a fake web address! Bif is not the name I usually post under nor is TheBigBluff an actual web address. Most of us are using "handles" here, so if you're using a "fake" name, why would you even think twice about using your real email address? I took the email address thing as a way of allowing others to contact you from outside the message board for further, private discussion.

I'm not a fan of cencorship, but then again, I'm posting to this board for free. When I start to pay a membership fee, then I'll be a little more vocal about what I feel is appropriate as far as posting goes. And if I did have a problem, I'd email Mason or the others responsible directly, before taking my complaints public without giving anyone a chance to correct the situation to my satisfaction.

I think *most* people would recognize that Mason is an expert in the realm of poker and I personally look forward to every post I see with his name next to it. There's nothing like getting solid advice for free. How many authors do you know who will respond to your emails and seem quite happy to do so? The fact that maybe some of these emails can help you play better poker and make more money is outstanding as far as I'm concerned. It seems that a few people feel slighted and I don't think they should be. I don't see some underhanded motive here.

Good luck to all.

10-03-2001, 09:26 PM
You're obviously misunderstanding the post.

It is not about a handle- or email address-- both of which are changable and controllable.

It is quite a bit more difficult (and I dont know how) to change your URL-- which is what the complaint was about.

10-03-2001, 10:46 PM
You must have missed the publishing of the URL's of posters - now cancelled because of our complaints.

These gave specific computer addresses of all posters for the past few weeks.

Like thus:

"Mike Haven (inktomi1-ren.server.ntl.com) -- Thursday, 20 September 2001, at 5:24 p.m."

10-04-2001, 11:39 AM
Dolores & Guess Who,

Yes, it looks like I did misunderstood the thread a bit. Thank you for politely bringing it to my attention. I appreciate your courtesy and clarification.