PDA

View Full Version : what's the deal with tony parker?

Sooga
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
What is with the concensus he's some really good point guard? Here's a list of PG's who I (and most people) would take before him:

Kidd, Nash, Marbury, Wade, LeBron (not sure if he's a SF or PG), Francis, Billups, Bibby, Cassell, Arenas, and I'm probably forgetting a couple more.

That's 10 right there. And with 30 teams in the league, that makes Parker just a bit over average among point guards. I mean, he's a guy that'll get you 15 and 5 every night, but not really much else. Overrated.

lapoker17
12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Basketball is such a game of roles and chemistry that while Parker's overall skill may not be equal to those you mention, he is a great fit for his team - Also, don't forget how young he is compared to most on your list.

If you had Duncan, would you want Francis, Cassell, Marbury or Arenas running the offense? I wouldn't - They're all shoot first #1's and Duncan's game would suffer.

I don't like Parker that much myself, but he seems to be a great fit.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
you know the one thing I like about him, 2.3 TO's a game.

Francise: 3.7
Kidd :3.4
I really didn't look up anyone else.

Yeah, he doesn't score much, but so what, he is a PG, he sets up other people. He plays pretty good D, and shoots decent %. I don't think anyone considers him a superstar though, but remember he is 22.

jagoff
12-27-2004, 10:19 PM
NICE TSC! That's what it's all about for a PG. Handle the rock and don't turn it over. EOS

Non_Comformist
12-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Marbury will never win a championship and I would hate to have him at PG.

Cassel is old, so I would take the younger Parker.

Bibby is way overrated, you might as well as listed J-Will.

Francis is the Marbury mold but seems to be playing much better now that he is paired with Hill, however he was unable to play effectively with a good big man so I doubt he can win a championship.

LB doesn't play PG.

You could make a case for Iverson since he switched over this year and has been playing well.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NICE TSC! That's what it's all about for a PG. Handle the rock and don't turn it over. EOS

[/ QUOTE ]Some of these guys that play PG in the NBA should really move to SG, much like Iverson did after his first few season. Really, these teams are so much better with a PG that dishes. Kidd may average 3.4 TO's or whatever, but he also pases a lot as well. Him and Nash make their team better by their unselfish play. I'll take Kidd over all of them though.

jagoff
12-27-2004, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Some of these guys that play PG in the NBA should really move to SG, much like Iverson did after his first few season. Really, these teams are so much better with a PG that dishes. Kidd may average 3.4 TO's or whatever, but he also pases a lot as well. Him and Nash make their team better by their unselfish play. I'll take Kidd over all of them though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleveland found out quick that Lebron is not a PG. Now that they moved him to 2G and got McInnis in at point they are rockin and rollin

Non_Comformist
12-27-2004, 10:23 PM
What about the injury concerns of Kidd. I would take Nash as a result, then Kidd if I was a contender. If not probably Parker.

Andre Miller was overrated but now appears to be underrated as a PG.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 11:01 PM
my first pick for PG:
Dwayne Wade DUH!!!!!!
then
Nash

jagoff
12-27-2004, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my first pick for PG:
Dwayne Wade DUH!!!!!!
then
Nash

[/ QUOTE ]

Diesel said so himself...he makes players look better! I'd take TP that boy can ball

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 11:12 PM
except Wade was sick last year too.

IndieMatty
12-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Not disagreeing, but Marbury is really maturing this year...very unselfish play.

Big win for the Knicks tonight.

Good NBA season so far this year too, it's worth noting.

jagoff
12-27-2004, 11:16 PM
No use arguing when we both know that Mark Price was better than both of these guys.

Non_Comformist
12-27-2004, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not disagreeing, but Marbury is really maturing this year...very unselfish play.

Big win for the Knicks tonight.

Good NBA season so far this year too, it's worth noting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool because I was a fan of his for awhile with Phoenix when they seemed to be making the leap then he seemed to take a step back.

I haven't seen any Knick games so that is good news. The league needs more PG's who can play.

Sooga
12-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Actually the latest numbers on parker are 2.7TO... and only 5.7APG, which gives him an A/TO ratio of 2.13, which puts him right near to the top of the NBA at...... #39 in the league.

You mentioned Francis, and yea, he turns the ball over quite a bit, and he's always mentioned as a 'shoot-first' point guard, and perhaps he is, but who else on Orlando is gonna be a big-time scorer? Not Cuttino, not Hill, it's gotta be Francis. And you know, he's still leading the team 22ppg, along with his 7apg. I'd gladly take 22/7 over 15/5 anyday. I think this whole shtick about Parker 'knowing how to set guys up' (not true, only 5apg!) and 'not turning the ball over' (not true, as mentioned before) are just smokescreens to mask the fact that he's just not that great a PG.

I heard talk about Bibby being overrated, and you know what, I completely agree. But I take him over Parker in a heartbeat. Bibby makes more assists (5.8) and turns the ball over less (2.0) than does Parker. Parker is simply just not that good.