PDA

View Full Version : Starting hands: reverse logic.

LearnedHand
12-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Assuming low limit, relatively loose hold em (avg 4-5 see a flop) what hands would you FOLD no matter what?

Seems to me, almost any two cards are worth seeing a flop cheap (one or two bets).

Swampy
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Not any two, but you can loosen up considerably. In a super loose, passive game, I'd consider playing suited one- or two-gappers (Q9s) in mid-to-late spots. Easy to get away from, and the price is probably there -- depends on how the players are acting after the flop as well as PF.

stinkypete
12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
look at the starting hand chart in ed miller's small stakes hold'em.

hands that are not listed there, you should FOLD no matter what, except maybe a few.

dogmeat
12-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Of the 169 hands that can be held preflop, you are going to be willing to call a bet with about a third. The rest are not worth playing. I mention this in a lot of threads, but it bears repeating here: You can play more hands if your post-flop play is good.

The newer (weaker) you are at hold'em and especially post-flop play, the fewer hands you can play profitably. The fact that most players don't understand this, and the fact that they figure if the odds are good they can play anything, is the reason some players are able to make 2-3BB/hour in some B&M games now, and even more in online games. 4-5 players per flop is a good game, but not the best that can be found at a place like Pacific, even up to the $30/$60 games.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Sarge85
12-28-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seems to me, almost any two cards are worth seeing a flop cheap (one or two bets).

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately think your on to something.

Let's run some sims together.

Now if you could give me your logon name, and what time you'll be on, I'll be glad to sit at your table to test this theory.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Dave H.
12-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Absolutely, unequivocally, WRONG!! Please follow StinkyPete's advice! You will be happy you did.

surfdoc
12-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Nice first post. This will be amazing for you to come back in 1 year and see how much you have learned if you stick around. Congrats on finding this site and having the desire to get involved. If you take some time to read even the most basic preflop strategy in any 2+2 book you will be on your way to becoming a player and realize the "reverse" logic is the very fiber with which fish are built.

Go to the bookstore and buy some books. You will be fine. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

semipro
12-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Any two cards?? Well, go with that theory and kiss your BR buh-bye. Speaking of reverse, the truth is when at a loose table, it is usually better to tighten up your play. And if you plan on carrying through with your plan of playing more hands, by all means, play the lower limits, so that your mistakes are not compounded by the bigger losses. Just because you flop a boat holding Q8 once doesn't make it right to play Q8 over and over again in the future.

BottlesOf
12-28-2004, 03:50 PM
What's great is that you are not alone.

(If you're smart, you'll listen to the other advice in this thread)

AncientPC
12-28-2004, 10:49 PM
1 gap suited down to 75s is the absolute worst I'll ever play with a lot of limpers.