PDA

View Full Version : AA just out of the money

steelcmg
12-27-2004, 08:59 PM
I was dealt AA about 15 spots out of the money in a tourney i was first to act before the flop and havent had any playable hands for a long while. I know that people have noticed this after i raised and everyone behind me folded. Im wondering if it is better to slow play ur AA and take a chance or just raise and collect the blinds. I had about 5500 and the blinds where 1200 2400 LHE i was 3rd smallest stack at the table.

citanul
12-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Egad, sounds like one hell of a short stacked tournament.

I think this is a pretty easy push. you're short, the blinds you pick up are going to increase your stack by 1/3, which is no small amount. It will likely move you up in the standings at your table. If you are called, happy day.

If the attention to how tight you are playing is actually getting that kind of attention, you should use that to your advantage, and try to steal somet blinds.

citanul

yimmy9
12-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Push

Lloyd
12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Definitely push. If they're paying attention to you it will be more alarming if you limp because of how large of a percentage of your stack that would be.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-27-2004, 09:11 PM
I think it's safe to just push when you have less than 2.5 BBs. I think you can push up to a range of about 5 BBs, after that you might consider mixing it up between pushing, making the "standard raise" (which for most tables is 3x BB or 2.5 x BB), or just calling (I don't like this, whenever I see a person call it sets off alarm bells, it either means they're bad or they're slowplaying).

In your case, just push.

adanthar
12-27-2004, 09:27 PM
It's limit, people.

And because it's limit, anyone that wants to play a hand pretty much will anyway. Raise.

Lloyd
12-27-2004, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's limit, people.

And because it's limit, anyone that wants to play a hand pretty much will anyway. Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh. LHE. So easy to be missed. Okay. Well, raise.

DVC Calif
12-27-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was dealt AA about 15 spots out of the money in a tourney i was first to act before the flop ...I had about 5500 and the blinds where 1200 2400 LHE i was 3rd smallest stack at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I read this correctly, this is a Limit tourney and you are UTG. Being so far out of the bubble and so short stack, I think you need to gamble and try to maximize getting as many players as possible.

I think an open limp and waiting for someone in later position to raise will pay off those bullets a little more than 2x betting UTG.

If your hand holds up, you migtbe able to triple up against smaller pp or drawing hands.

Steve

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Oh...whoops.

Anyway, not knowing much about LHE MTTs, I'd still say an open-limp looks mighty suspicious so low on chips...I'd still say raise.

Again, I have no idea when it comes to LHE MTTs.

zaxx19
12-27-2004, 10:10 PM
UGH, this is why limit holdem plays so poorly in tourney format...Just raise players with quality hands wont be able to get away from then anyway..a limp is just SUPER SUSPICIOUS here.

m bozeman
12-27-2004, 10:19 PM
That's an interesting question. I was in the same exact situation earlier this year, in Ultimate Bet's Stone Cold Nuts Tourney. There was over a million dollars in the prize pool. I wasn't as close to the money as you were, but I was shortstacked, with about 4 times the BB. I got aces in first position, and decided to limp. The table was fairly aggressive, so I figured I had a good chance to get raised, then I could reraise right there. Unfortunately, it folded around to the blinds, who both called. The flop was K 8 3, and the BB bets about half of my stack into me. I raise all-in, he calls, and shows K 3, for 2 pair, and knocked me out. I have been reluctant to limp with aces anymore, especially in big tournaments like that was.