PDA

View Full Version : top pair vs loose raiser on a draw

DrewOnTilt
12-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Live $5-$10 game I end up heads up against a LAGgy guy who will raise preflop with Ace-any kicker over 7 and any 2 suited connectors about 89 or higher. He will ram and jam the pot on a decent draw without regard to whether or not there are enough callers to justify value bets and raises on the come.

Hero has the button with K /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Folded to Loosey in MP1.
Loosey raises, 3 folds, Hero calls. I would normally not call with KTo, but this guy is very loose. I call planning to fold if I don't catch TP or a strong draw.

Flop is 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Loosey bets, Hero raises, Loosey 3-bets, Hero calls

I go into check-call mode. I am sure he is on a straight draw but slow down because even loose players occasionally get AA or flop sets.

Turn is 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif making a flush draw possible. Loosey bets Hero calls.

River is a blank. Loosey bets Hero calls.

Actual hand results to be posted later.

My questions:
1) Was the preflop call wise with KTo against a loose raiser?
2) If I instead held KTs could I have justified a reraise?
3) Was I correct to go into check/call mode after he 3-bet the flop, even though I was 90% certain he was on a draw?

Festus22
12-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Calling PF was your worst option. Either 3-bet to isolate or fold.

The rest of the hand looks good.

12-27-2004, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hero has the button with K /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Folded to Loosey in MP1.
Loosey raises, 3 folds, Hero calls. I would normally not call with KTo, but this guy is very loose. I call planning to fold if I don't catch TP or a strong draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you cold call a LAG because he has loose raising standards and then decide to fold if you don't catch TP or a strong draw, then you are playing this hand REAL badly.

Cold-Calling is your worst option here.

3-bet the flop, if he caps, call him down.

DrewOnTilt
12-29-2004, 02:08 AM
ok, so I see that others think I should have either reraised or folded preflop. Fine, I accept that. I'm just curious as to what is a generally accepted minimum hand for standing up to a loose raiser? I did have the best hand here (he had 89 of hearts), but KTo is still pretty weak.

Thoughts?