PDA

View Full Version : Short-stacked all-in with 52s. Correct play?

Sykes
12-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Here's the scenario.

Playing in a $10+1 Limit Sit-n-Go on PartyPoker. Down to 525 chips with blinds at 100/200 and i'm in BB with 52s with 200 in already (So I only have 325 left). 6 people still left. Everyone folds to Dealer who raises (400 now in). SB folds (500 in that's not mine and 700 total) I think for a minute using the time bank thinking that the only way to have a chance at winning this I have to gamble and I think I'm getting the odds to go all-in as long as this guy doesn't have a overpair (325 left into a pot of $1025 [700 already in and the 325 he has to call when I re-raise all-in] so I would need to be more than a 31/69 dog to make this be an incorrect play).

Long story short, He calls and shows 55. I frown and I don't catch my straight/flush/trips and go out in 6th.

My question is: Is this the correct play by going all-in? Or should I have saved myself the 325 and if I don't find a good SB hand I fold that (225 left) and wait until I find a hand I like in the next 4 hands?

What would you do in this situation?

David04
12-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Fold...I think you are going to be able to pick a better hand before your next BB to push with. Basically look for Ax, a PP, 2 high cards, Kx and maybe Qx.

david050173
12-28-2004, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold...I think you are going to be able to pick a better hand before your next BB to push with. Basically look for Ax, a PP, 2 high cards, Kx and maybe Qx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is a toss up. Most of the time you will be on the wrong side of a 60:40 but if you win you will have a decent stack. If you wait, even if you win, you are just back to where you were before this started and you will have to make this exact same choice when the blinds come around to you (might be worse if they have moved up). If your hand was slightly better ( something T7s) I think calling is the right move since you are more likely to be coinfliping.

betgo
12-28-2004, 12:25 AM
I like the raise. You are getting pot odds to call. Too bad you were up against 55. 52s is only a 3-2 dog against AK. If you win this pot, you have a good chance to cash.

alexbrew
12-28-2004, 12:42 AM
If you call and win, you're ev is .15
You fold this and your sb your ev is .035

I think you should call... but I've also come back from stacks of 200 to win it all, but I think that takes a lot more luck than if you just try to suck out this one hand.

citanul
12-28-2004, 02:34 AM
Why no "Call and push on any flop" option?

They fold more than you'd think, even to tiny little all in bets.

If the only options are all in or fold, I think you've got to go all in.

citanul

Sykes
12-28-2004, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting but I don't think the stop-n-go method works in this situation. You bring up a good point though, one that I did not consider. I will have to try it the next time the same situation comes up.

By the way, why would a person fold for 125 more when the pot is 1k+.

lacky
12-28-2004, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't...you wouldn't...but there's more than a few idiots out there, and a fair percentage of them seem to play sng's on party.

Steve

David04
12-28-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting but I don't think the stop-n-go method works in this situation. You bring up a good point though, one that I did not consider. I will have to try it the next time the same situation comes up.

[/ QUOTE ]
It happens more than you would think....fish think "I didn't hit the flop at all, he is going all-in, so he must have something!!"

two_dogs
12-28-2004, 01:04 PM
I think the only bad play here is a call. The push is fine a fold wouldn't be terrible. A side benefit I've noticed is that when you call with these hands and survive you get less villains trying to steal from you on the later rounds. At least it seems that way at times.

lorinda
12-28-2004, 02:44 PM

Playing in a $10+1 Limit Sit-n-Go on PartyPoker

There you go, you answered your own question /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lori

PE101
12-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Fold!

[ QUOTE ]
(500 in that's not mine and 700 total)

[/ QUOTE ]

None of it is yours. It's the pot's!
You've still got $325, hope for a better oportunity on the SB.

m bozeman
12-28-2004, 04:31 PM
I know your stack is crippled if you fold here, but I think it is the correct play. You will get a better hand in the small blind next hand, maybe go with that one, or take a couple more looks and go in, not with a 5 2.