PDA

View Full Version : How much of a wimp am I for checking this?

Lmn55d
12-27-2004, 06:41 PM
I usually bet the turn in these situations, however I'm trying some more passive plays recently. Here, I didn't want to get raised with possibly 6 outs, so I chose to check/call. I thought there was a decent chance someone had a jack or flush. Is this too weak?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

River: (7.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB

ZZZ
12-27-2004, 06:45 PM
I rate that pretty high on the wimp-o-meter. Your opponents' main mistake is calling too much, so play in such a manner as to exploit that. Value bet, value bet, value bet.

ZZZ

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-27-2004, 06:52 PM
You need to bet this, you will get plenty of calls from people with a single heart. If no one raises the turn, bet the river. If you are raised or checkraised on the turn, call and (without a read) fold the river unimproved.

Lmn55d
12-27-2004, 06:54 PM
i'm not sure that folding the river is a great idea here. Of course it is dependant on river action, but I think generally folding is bad. I agree that I should have bet the turn though.

ZZZ
12-27-2004, 07:13 PM
I think it's close, but against an unknown I call the river after being check raised on the turn. Not at all sure about this one. Playing the shorthanded tables recently has really left me confused about when to pay off.

ZZZ

12-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Easy turn bet with the picked up flush draw.

As others have said, bet turn, call if raised, fold river to a bet if unimproved. Remember, this will happen the minority of the time.

Circumstances change slightly if this was heads-up or 3-way of course.

TripleH68
12-27-2004, 07:53 PM
If the jacks are not out you have four outs to the virtual nuts...plus a flush draw with your king. And of course the A/images/graemlins/heart.gif would be correct to call or even raise in this situation, that's fine.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
12-27-2004, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not sure that folding the river is a great idea here. Of course it is dependant on river action, but I think generally folding is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the caveat about having a read/reads. If the hypothetical turn raiser is the type to raise the turn when he picks up a flush draw, as opposed to having a J or made flush, then yes, you should call down.