PDA

View Full Version : Utility as it relates to poker players

DanS
12-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I was just wondering what poker players thought of this...

Forgive me if I'm using the word 'utility' incorrectly, it's been a while since I've dealt with econ.

Basically, what matters more... your well-being or the world's?

Dan

SossMan
12-27-2004, 06:04 PM
i chose nuetral just to F with your poll...it's a little deep for a monday

DanS
12-27-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut up and get back to work! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dan

DanS
12-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Bump one time. Someone say something, dammit.

Dan

stabn
12-27-2004, 07:13 PM
This post makes me want a nap. Snoooore.

BusterStacks
12-27-2004, 07:22 PM
for me you have to consider expected return. I expect a far greater return using my abilities and resources for myself than for society. A person could work their whole life trying to better the world, and not even dent a fraction of society's problems. Work your whole life for yourself however, and you can see results. The big stuff that I feel strongly for is in the hands of politicians and corporations, I can only worry about me. And so I do.

DanS
12-27-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This post makes me want a nap. Snoooore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, nice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You could make the argument that you're helping society by not participating in a negative sum activity while you nap, though.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Que?

GuyOnTilt
12-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Que?

Alt+0191. That's like the only one I actually know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

stabn
12-27-2004, 07:54 PM
You could also argue i could be helping society since i'm at work right now, and have better things to do with my time than sleep. But i don't care, i'm napping /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Que?

Alt+0191. That's like the only one I actually know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, thats one more than me.

DanS
12-28-2004, 12:05 AM
One more bump

CrazyEyez
12-28-2004, 12:17 AM
F-ing the other guys and looking out for number 1 leads to the highest utility for society.

ZeeJustin
12-28-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
F-ing the other guys and looking out for number 1 leads to the highest utility for society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice theory. It's too bad there's no evidence to back this up with. Of course, that's probably because it's not true at all.

fnord_too
12-28-2004, 12:30 AM
so far only one other person besides me puts society frist ...

CrazyEyez
12-28-2004, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice theory. It's too bad there's no evidence to back this up with. Of course, that's probably because it's not true at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing except capitalism. And it's not like it's my own little theory. A couple few famous economists might have theorized it before I.

DanS
12-28-2004, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing except capitalism. And it's not like it's my own little theory. A couple few famous economists might have theorized it before I.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duhh, I feel like a 'tard for not thinking about this as a way to reconcile the two. If I bust ass to achieve for myself, greater society's utility is maximized.

So, the question is: Does anyone get screwed (theoretical speaking by an individual's success other than the person's direct competition (poker, business, whatever)?

Dan

jakethebake
12-28-2004, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a little stupid for any day of the week. I can't believe people are actually voting in this.

fnord_too
12-28-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Famous economists have theorized just the opposite, too. We are very far from maximum societal utility in this country. One major problem with your theory is that often maximizing ones personal utility is done at the sake of system utility. For many decisions, there is a marginal (using marginal in the economic context, that is, unit) increase in utility for individuals in the system, but all individuals end up with lower utility due to everyone making the choice with that is better from their micro perspective. (Think Prisoners Dilemma on a grander scale. It really does come up in a lot of places).

You really don't have to look hard to see businessess making decisions that are bad for society just to line their own pockets. You can argue that these decisions are not in fact maximizing their long term utility, but the fact is that they THINK they are.

If you want some examples consider:
The colonization of world (I think 1/3 of the earths population was STILL in colonized regions at the end of WWII.)
The tabacco industry
The oil industry
The meat packing industry
Really, look at any industry with a lobby, which is most if not all of them, and you will see some grossly non optimal practices and strategies from societal utility (not to mention from company utility, but that's another story).

ThaSaltCracka
12-28-2004, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a little stupid for any day of the week. I can't believe people are actually voting in this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have looked at this thread four times and still haven't voted.