PDA

View Full Version : Odds...

unlucky513
12-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Does anyone know where I can find an explanation of how to find pot odds, implied odds, etc...?

I searched the boards but couldn't find anything...

Thanks in advance.

sin808
12-27-2004, 09:39 PM
try this (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=calculating+pot+odds)

flavaham
12-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Just pick up a copy of "The Theory of Poker." All of this is explained in detail and will help you apply it. There is no quick way to learn it. You have to understand it first and then apply it to your game. I would suggest searching the web for a chart that will tell you your odds of catching with x amount of outs. That's a good place to start. My other advice is to be aware of every bet that goes into the pot and keep a running total in your head. Do this even when you are not in the hand.
Hope that helps. GL
-g

K C
12-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Quick and dirty: the rule of thumb that's most popular is to calculate the amount of outs and compare it to what's in the pot. IF you have 4 to a flush, for instance, you have 9 outs to hit on the turn. 9 out of 47 possible cards. So roughly you're going to hit on that street 1 in 5 times (4:1). If the pot is offering you better than 4:1,which means the amount of the pot is greater than 4 times the amount you need to put in, you're getting the odds to make the play.

With implied odds, it's not just the amount that is in the pot now, it's the amount that's probably going to be there if you hit your hand.

So using implied odds would be more accurate, but you've got to be careful in making assumptions about how much is going to be put in. This comes from both experience and knowing your opponents.

You want to be careful though and always be aware that some of your outs may be drawing to hands that if hit, may not be the best. This is double trouble because not only is it costing you the price of drawing, it's going to cost you more if you actually hit it. An easy way to do this is not to count the outs that help you but can help someone else even more - for instance, hitting your straight but giving someone else a flush.

To be accurate though, you need to take the odds of hitting, the amount that's in the pot, the amount that's probably going to be there if you hit, your chances of winning with hitting particular outs, your chances of hitting with particular outs and losing, the amounts won and lost with each, the fold equity you have in reference to wanting to consider betting or raising...oops we've gone beyond the quick and dirty /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com