PDA

View Full Version : Look ma' no chute!!!! -- For the mentally insane.

wacki
12-27-2004, 12:41 PM
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/jump.cgi?ID=556&view=Photo1
pic won't post /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I didn't think that this would be possible, landing without a parachute.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=556

PoBoy321
12-27-2004, 12:47 PM
I don't know if anyone's ever done it on purpose, but I HAVE heard of instances where people have had parachute malfunctions and survived. I searched for articles or something to link to but haven't found anything. Maybe someone else can find something.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 12:48 PM
weird.

After Reading Angels and Deamons, I learned that 1 square yard of lag could can slow a body by 20%. Who knows, I suppose its possible, right? But what purpose does it serve?

fsuplayer
12-27-2004, 12:53 PM
how did you like that book?

i loved davinci code, but havent yet read that one.

liquidboss
12-27-2004, 12:54 PM
There are some documented cases of people falling out of a plane high enough to reach terminal velocity and surviving. It has to do with building up a lot of horizontal velocity and hitting the ground on a downward slope, preferrably on grass so you can slide down the hill. Not something I would like to try but if you ever find yourself sucked out of that airliner it might be something to try... heh

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how did you like that book?

i loved davinci code, but havent yet read that one.

[/ QUOTE ]it was a good book. Not quite as faced paced though. Lots of twists though, I would recomend it.

tek
12-27-2004, 01:29 PM
When I was in Airborne school at Ft. Benning many years ago, the elite jumping team did an exhibition and one guy crashed and burned from less that 500 feet. At 500 feet they don't wear chutes at all because there is no time to deploy. He left a 2 foot indentation on the ground...

When I jumped, hitting the ground could knock the wind out of you. You don't land on your feet as you would with a hollywood jump off the wing of a slow moving plane. You land on your side and roll to your back.

People who survive jumps with malfunctioning chutes have my sympathy.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 01:31 PM
wtf???? you jumped out of a plane from 500ft without a chute???? I did not know they did that at airborne school.

tek
12-27-2004, 02:10 PM
I meant to say they don't have reserve chutes because there would be no time to deploy them...

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 02:21 PM
oh, that makes sense.

Lazymeatball
12-27-2004, 02:38 PM
From what height does one have to fall to reach terminal velocity? I don't think it's anywhere near airplane height.

Bubbagump
12-27-2004, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if anyone's ever done it on purpose, but I HAVE heard of instances where people have had parachute malfunctions and survived. I searched for articles or something to link to but haven't found anything. Maybe someone else can find something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a link but I remember seeing footage on REAL TV of such an incident. The jumper whose chute failed was wearing a helmet cam and there was also a 2nd jumper with a camera. Very intense stuff.

Bubbagump

fnord_too
12-27-2004, 03:06 PM
This guy isn't just jumping, he has an aparatus to control his decent, he's just not using a parachute per se.