PDA

View Full Version : Please critique this hand from a family SNG over the holidays

Burno
12-27-2004, 09:42 AM
This is a hand from a family $10 SNG played on Christmas Eve. 2 spots pay, ~70%/30%. Villian in this hand is hero's son, a TAG who rarely is out of line and pays his bills playing poker.

Starting stacks are 565. Blinds are 5/10. 6 handed. Somewhere between hand 8 and 12 of the tourney.

Hero is UTG and limps for 10 with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
MP limps, CO limps, Villian raises to 70 out of the SB.

Hero calls, MP calls, CO drops, three to the flop with the pot at 240.

FLOP K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villian bets all in, ~480

Hero calls 480 (all-in). MP folds.

Final Pot ~1200.

Please critique both hero and villian's play. We had quite a disagreement following the hand. I've purposefully omitted the villian's hand so I don't bias opinions. What I'd like to hear is the range of hands you put the villian on.

Burno

hurlyburly
12-27-2004, 12:27 PM
The PF raise tells me it's a PP, but it could be anything from 88-AA and AKs. Since there was quite a discussion about it, I guess he had either 66, TT or 2 black kings and you caught the flush to win this pot.

KJo is definitely a trap hand, so it's good to stay away from it in almost every situation. Not good for a limp in EP, definitely not good for calling a big PF reraise, and not strong enough to call all-in with top pair/3rd nut flush draw.

I bet this is all stuff you heard when you knocked him out tho.

Burno
12-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Excellent analysis.

What do you think the worst hand the villian can have to move in for that amount on this particular flop?

smoore
12-27-2004, 03:01 PM
I think you misplayed the KJo with the limp/call. I think he's got AA-JJ, AK, TT or 66 on that board. Probably one diamond, but not neccesarily.

Cleveland Guy
12-27-2004, 03:05 PM
I put him exactly on a set of 10s or a set of 6s

Delphin
12-27-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[Villain is] a TAG who rarely is out of line and pays his bills playing poker.

Starting stacks are 565. Blinds are 5/10. 6 handed. Somewhere between hand 8 and 12 of the tourney.

Villian raises to 70 out of the SB.

Three to the flop with the pot at 240.

FLOP K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I'd like to hear is the range of hands you put the villian on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's a tight aggressive player, and he raised 6x BB preflop, he has a hand. The fact that he went all in on the flop means he must figure he's got the best hand at the moment.

I would put him on AdQd,KcKs,TT, or 66. If your description of him is accurate, I'd never call against him in this spot (in fact, fold to his PF raise).

SossMan
12-27-2004, 04:10 PM
hero played this hand pretty badly. the preflop calls got progressively worse. the villian's range of hands preflop would probably include pairs down to 88 or 99, AK, AQ, maybe even AJs.

to call the all in, he would need any AA, KK, QdQ., obviously the nut flush, or most likely a set of TT or 66.

Burno
12-27-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[Villain is] a TAG who rarely is out of line and pays his bills playing poker.

Villian raises to 70 out of the SB.

Three to the flop with the pot at 240.

I'd like to hear is the range of hands you put the villian on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's a tight aggressive player, and he raised 6x BB preflop, he has a hand. The fact that he went all in on the flop means he must figure he's got the best hand at the moment.

I would put him on AdQd,KcKs,TT, or 66. If your description of him is accurate, I'd never call against him in this spot (in fact, fold to his PF raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
hero played this hand pretty badly. the preflop calls got progressively worse. the villian's range of hands preflop would probably include pairs down to 88 or 99, AK, AQ, maybe even AJs.

to call the all in, he would need any AA, KK, QdQ., obviously the nut flush, or most likely a set of TT or 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

Between Sossman and Delphin they nailed it.

So here's how it actually happened. As you may have guessed, my father was the hero in this hand and I was the villian. I had black kings. My father called the all in, the turn paired the T and he was drawing dead. I've been teaching him somewhat and I told him I didn't like his play on the hand. My siblings defended his play so I told them I'd post it on the forum and they could see what others thought.

I don't think anyone mentioned that I was in the SB this hand, which narrows my range of hands and probably increases the level of "honesty" in my play during the hand.

I think the absolute worst hand I can have after moving in is Ad 10x, JdQd(which he can eliminate). Maybe black aces, but such an overbet is pretty dumb, IMO.

hurlyburly
12-27-2004, 04:54 PM
AKo or ATo with nut flush draw would be the worst hand I would be able to move in with. 2 pair or a set I'd try to check and improve. Knowing where the Ace of diamonds is would be the key.

hurlyburly
12-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Well that's good news. I'm conditioned to the bad beat stories, and figured the set got whomped.

eastbay
12-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Dude, what is wrong with you? It's a family game. Don't start family fights over it, and don't stew over it enough to make a 2+2 strategy post about it.

Play, have fun, and drink an eggnog or two. Geez.

eastbay

Burno
12-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Eastbay,

There was no family fight, lol. A minor disagreement at best, completely civil. My father, however, has expressed a real interest in improving his game, so I'm trying to get him to understand why his play was lousy.

I promise no one's feelings were hurt. And there was no stewing, I merely posted this hand for my dad's benefit.

And we were drinking whiskey, not eggnog /images/graemlins/smirk.gif