PDA

View Full Version : Overpair + flush draw

maddo
12-27-2004, 09:08 AM
When hero called the SB raise he was just in the "no set, no bet" frame of mind - but then suddenly he had an overpair and a flush draw.

What does hero do here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t3380)
Button (t1160)
SB (t1640)
BB (t395)
UTG (t1415)
UTG+1 (t700)
Hero (t1475)
MP2 (t765)
MP3 (t2570)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t30, Hero calls t30, MP2 calls t30, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t90</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t60, Hero calls t60, MP2 calls t60.

Flop: (t390) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB bets 120
UTG+1 folds
Hero ????????

hurlyburly
12-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Tricky, but the action makes me think he has either a better overpair or overcards + flush. Either way I'm folding here.

etgryphon
12-27-2004, 05:26 PM
It seems too early to chicken out with this hand. I see two options with this:

(1) Reraise to see where you are about 1/2 to 2/3 the pot. If he comes over the top then I think you can reasonable assume that he has a made flush \overpair to yours.

(2) Call with the intention of Raising on the Turn if it is checked to you. 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif is not a great flush draw here.

Depending on the read on the opponent what would he come out of the SB with. What are you hoping for? I think you can reasonably put him on a top hand if he is smart. You best bet is if he has AK-AJ because you know that He isn't going to drop a overpair if he has a diamond.

I am leaning for option 1. If you get a call, I think you looking at the nut flush draw.

-Gryph

Glintir
12-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Pop him back and see if he folds. If you hit him back for 240, preferably immediately then it looks like you have the flush.

Without a read, if he comes back over you again, fold. You're in trouble one way or another. If he doesn't have the goods the bet may have been to flush out who does. Why can't that be you? If he calls, well you'll have to sort that out with the turn card.

The way I see it, if you have to dump it after your bet you've still to 1135 and it's early in the game. You also know more about how this guy plays, and how he reacts to being raised. If you take it down, more's the better.

alexbrew
12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
My guess is he's playing AK.. one of those may be a good flush draw for him... plus he has his overcards.

His 3X the BB pre-flop is very standard (though he didn't account for the limpers), and a flop bet regardless of what hits would be standard AK play also.

If you raise him and you get a call, you're probably against a better flush draw but not a made hand. If you raise him and he goes all in, it's a good time to get out.

Paragon
12-27-2004, 07:48 PM
I do not give any credit for this bet... If my math is right, T390 is in the pot, and a bet of T120 is less than 1/3 that size. It looks weak and it also looks like an automatic bet since he raised pre flop. It's possible villain has made flush or overpair with better draw (worst case scenarios), but I doubt it. Otherwise, against the probable overcards it is even money if villain has a diamond, or you're a huge favorite.

I definitely agree you should use your position to your advantage and either raise to take the lead in the hand, or fold and move on. A "gentle" raise of like T275 would seem okay to me. I'd mutter and fold to a re-raise allin, otherwise I think you're in great shape. This flop is very likely to be a nightmare for him I think... Or else he'll let you know for sure after your raise.

maddo
12-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Ok. Like some replies suggested, hero did raise. Hero raised to 240 (min raise) because he wanted to be able to get away cheaply. So now there's 750 in the pot, SB just calls the extra 120, which he would do with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, although hero tends to think that SB's intial bet would have been higher if he had this?

Anyway, turn comes T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and SB checks.

Now what does hero do?

two_dogs
12-28-2004, 10:17 AM
This is a tricky situation. SB could have the nuts and going for the check raise if you check he almost certainly will play at you on the river. I think (and I know I'll probably catch some crap for this) I make a reasonable bet and fold to an all-in and check it down on the river.

ColdestCall
12-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I think the line here is to raise the flop to find out where you are at as some have suggested. When you did, and got called and checked to when the diamond hit the turn, I think the line suggested by two dogs is fine.

maddo
12-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Well hero made a small bet of 180, which probably reeked of weakness, and the SB check-raised to 420. Hero was done with the hand and folded.

Hero was still happy in the end because he beat SB heads-up to win the SNG.

Glintir
12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
I'd say the bet did reek of weakness, but I'd say your line was good. Fold to reraise, and I'm assuming check the river if called.

I wonder however if you'd bet more than half the pot what would have happened? If he had the goods, same thing and it cost you more. If he had a weak holding himself, does he fold or call?

I probably would have tossed 500 into that 750 pot, leaving me about 600. If he can come back over top of a 2/3 pot bet then I'm cooked. If he's holding something other than the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif he's gonna be hard pressed to call himself.

Of course, if I were playing it.. he would be holding the Ace and I'd lose. /images/graemlins/grin.gif