PDA

View Full Version : Could I have played any other way?

09-26-2001, 04:31 PM
Game #113214361 - $0.50/$1 Hold'em - 2001/09/26-14:13:08 (CST)

Table "Puka Puka" (real money) -- Seat 2 is the button

Seat 1: 1249305128 ($50 in chips)

Seat 2: klf91 ($51.25 in chips)

Seat 3: cliffy88 ($30 in chips)

Seat 4: Bl Heron ($48 in chips)

Seat 5: Big Bluff ($54.25 in chips)

Seat 6: so dak ($92.25 in chips)

Seat 7: BUSSY ($36.50 in chips)

Seat 8: sahaguje ($11.50 in chips)

Seat 9: index ($158.50 in chips)

Seat 10: "B" B"F"!!! ($7.50 in chips)

cliffy88: Post Small Blind ($0.25)

Bl Heron: Post Big Blind ($0.50)

1249305128: Post ($0.50)

Dealing...

Dealt to index [ Ts ]

Dealt to index [ 9s ]

Big Bluff: Call ($0.50)

so dak : Fold

BUSSY : Call ($0.50)

sahaguje: Fold

index : Call ($0.50)

"B" B"F"!!!: Raise ($1)

1249305128: Call ($0.50)

klf91 : Fold

cliffy88: Fold

Bl Heron: Fold

index : Call ($0.50)

*** FLOP *** : [ Kd Js Qs ]

Big Bluff: Check

BUSSY : Check

index : Bet ($0.50)

"B" B"F"!!!: Fold

1249305128: Fold

*** TURN *** : [ Kd Js Qs ] [ Kh ]

index : Bet ($1)

Big Bluff: Call ($1)

BUSSY : Call ($1)

*** RIVER *** : [ Kd Js Qs Kh ] [ 7s ]

index : Bet ($1)

Big Bluff: Call ($1)

BUSSY : Call ($1)

*** SUMMARY ***

Pot: $12.75 | Rake: $0.50

Board: [ Kd Js Qs Kh 7s ]

1249305128 lost $1 (folded)

klf91 didn't bet (folded)

cliffy88 lost $0.25 (folded)

Bl Heron lost $0.50 (folded)

Big Bluff bet $3.50, collected $12.75, net +$9.25 (showed hand) [ 5s As ] (a

flush, ace high)

so dak didn't bet (folded)

BUSSY lost $3.50 [ Ah Td ] (a straight, ten to ace)

sahaguje didn't bet (folded)

index lost $3.50 (showed hand) [ Ts 9s ] (a flush, queen high)

"B" B"F"!!! lost $1 (folded)

Thanks for the help...

index

09-26-2001, 05:11 PM
I think you played it ok. Let's walk through it:

Pre-Flop: The table is low limit and this hand at least looked fairly loose so I'll assume it has been loose. Your call was fine. You're call on the raise was fine as well since no one is

going to fold.

Flop: I like your bet. You flopped a straight with a four flush and a draw to a straight flush. You are a definite favorite here. You are hoping to get raised so you can re-raise. No one bites, they either have weak pairs or they are drawing, you definitely want to fear a 10 if no spade comes.

Turn: Many times the K would be unsettling as someone could have a full house. I think you would have heard from 2-pair on the flop though, so it's unlikely. Someone could have trips, but you have that beat and hope they call a bet. You have to bet here and find out where you stand. Again you were not raised. You probably still have the best hand and my guess at this point is the other two are on draws, most likely Aces and they want a 10.

River: You improved your hand from a straight to a flush. This is good, but it's also bad on the chance someone else was drawing to the flush with higher cards. This could very well be the case as we already guessed at least one of the others has an Ace and is hoping for that 10. It wouldn't be out of line to think that Ace was suited and could even be spades. Even though you made the flush, this bet here could be problematic as you don't know your flush will hold up. I would consider checking, but these players have been very passive so a bet is not out of line. In this case you got lucky because you didn't get raised. The Ace-high flush could have though you might have been betting KQ the whole time, but he seems a bit too passive. I would have played his hand differently than he did, but that's a different story.

In general I find this hand interesting in that the other players were so passive. You bet a straight on the flop and the guy with the nuts doesn't raise. This is odd, especially because he's vulnerable to a flush draw. I think the K on the Turn scared everyone a bit, but it's because everyone is scared that SOMEONE should have tossed in a raise.

With passive people like this you just have to bet like you did.

Of course this is $0.50/$1 on Paradise so it's hard to critique much of the play at all. /images/wink.gif

09-26-2001, 05:50 PM
Vegan... thank you.... wanted to make sure my thinking wasn't skewed due to the limit....

p.s. I particularly enjoy your phraseology. :-)

index

09-26-2001, 05:58 PM
This is a tough hand!!! Yes you floped a Str8, BUT the wrong end. You very well could have been beated on the flop by a bigger Str8. You have to put your opponents on big cards after the pre flop raise and 2 remaining players bet the flop. When the board pairs on the turn you are in big trouble. I agree with your call on the turn, but when the 3rd spade shows its time to fold. You can't beat 2 remaining players with this board. One or both likely have better hands. At most you could have saved one big bet. I would have probably called the river too, especially at this limit.

09-26-2001, 06:03 PM
I would have folded before the flop a lot of the time. After that, you should play it like you did most of the time. Some of the time, with the right players in, you should go for a checkraise somewhere along the line.

09-26-2001, 06:41 PM
Preflop limp is fine IMO.

Obviously you should bet the flop with your straight and straight flush draw. If opponents are somewhat decend I would suspect to hear from a good hand right here, since every hand is vulnerable with this kind of flop. But then again, in the Paradise baby games are lots of people who like to slowplay regardless the board.

The turn is not a nice card, but I havent seen any real strength up to that point, and I think a bet is a must. You can't give hands with a T, two pair, flushdraw etc a free card. There's still a good chance you're best also.

Again, the turn is just called and not raised. With all the calling there could be a better flush out however. You have to think if rivercard actually improved your hand. Now what hands would pay you of here that you can win? A straight (although I would think that's not to likely against a typical opponent), trips, that's probably it. You will get called or raised by a full house or better flush (an worse flush is not too likely, if up against a flush it's probably the nutflush). I think you have to check the river against typical opponents.

I dont like the way your opponents played, especially BUSSY.

Regards

09-26-2001, 09:51 PM
You played fine. Your opponents are the definition of passive players. The guy with the AT was trying to set a trap with his flopped straight, but wussed out when the 2nd K hit. The guy with the A high flush drew to a hand that he was afraid to bet when it hit. What more could you ask for? Just don't try to bluff them and value bet, value bet, value bet. Don't you love how players try to slowplay their big hands? How do they ever win a big pot?

PG

09-27-2001, 02:19 AM