PDA

View Full Version : CPU recommendations, please

CrazyEyez
12-26-2004, 09:50 PM
I need to upgrade my CPU. I'm embarrassed to say how slow my current processor is. So what I want to know is what's the minimum I should get? Consider multitabling + IE + winamp + wmp + outlook + PT etc etc.
Is a 2.4 P4 800mhz bus enough? Should I be considering Athalon? (I'm fairly computer savvy but I don't know the dif between pentium and athalon, performance-wise.)

Thanks.

BusterStacks
12-26-2004, 10:04 PM
P4 2.4 is enough, consider spending just a little more for the 2.8c, then you get hyperthreading.

wacki
12-26-2004, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Consider multitabling + IE + winamp + wmp + outlook + PT etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2 Ghz chip will be able to do all of that in it's sleep. If you want the best performance/dollar the AMD Sempron 2500+ (equal to a Pentium 2.5 Ghz) is $69 at www.newegg.com. (http://www.newegg.com.) If you want extreme performance for gaming, AMD athlon 64 will smoke the Pentium 4.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/athlon%2064%20fx55_10180471040/5064.png

You say you're computer savy. Do you know how to build a computer?

balkii
12-26-2004, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
P4 2.4 is enough, consider spending just a little more for the 2.8c, then you get hyperthreading.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is clutch. definitely spend the $$ to get hyperthreading...very good for extreme multitasking

Leo99
12-27-2004, 12:09 AM
You can't just upgrade a CPU unless your motherboard is compatible with the new CPU. Since you said your current setup is really slow, it's doubtful you'll be able to upgrade the CPU without also upgrading the motherboard. New motherboards run DDR memory that will mean you're old memory probably won't work with it. All this is said with my assumption you're running something fairly old with PC100 type memory. Personaly, I'm running an AMD Barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ ($85) on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard ($50) with a stick a couple sticks of 512 PC3200 memory ($75 each). I bought all the stuff from newegg.com. In fact, I ordered a stick of memory from then on 12/22 and received it on 12/24. I read that people are pushing the AMD mobile chips for desktop use too.

If you tell me (us) your current setup and budget, I (we) might be able to come up with a good upgrade plan for you.

EliteNinja
12-27-2004, 12:15 AM
I think I'll get myself one of those El Cheapo Sempron systems. Probably good enough for me.

I want to multitask the following:

4+ tables + MSN Messenger + ICQ + Winamp + Pokertracker

And in the future, perhaps multimonitoring.

CrazyEyez
12-27-2004, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You say you're computer savy. Do you know how to build a computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm savvier than the average idiot in the cubicle across from me at work. I can't build one from scratch, but I've added drives/RAM myself.

I know I need a new board. I'm getting a hand-me-down from my brother. That Sempron might be the way to go. 2.4 P4's are like $130 on pricewatch. But I assume a board is either/or (correct?), and the free one I'd be getting is pentium. Hmmm...

CrazyEyez
12-27-2004, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't just upgrade a CPU unless your motherboard is compatible with the new CPU. Since you said your current setup is really slow, it's doubtful you'll be able to upgrade the CPU without also upgrading the motherboard. New motherboards run DDR memory that will mean you're old memory probably won't work with it. All this is said with my assumption you're running something fairly old with PC100 type memory. Personaly, I'm running an AMD Barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ ($85) on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard ($50) with a stick a couple sticks of 512 PC3200 memory ($75 each). I bought all the stuff from newegg.com. In fact, I ordered a stick of memory from then on 12/22 and received it on 12/24. I read that people are pushing the AMD mobile chips for desktop use too.

If you tell me (us) your current setup and budget, I (we) might be able to come up with a good upgrade plan for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I just realized my RAM may not be compatable.
I've got an 868mhz P3, 896MB of PC133. I'm not sure yet the model of motherboard I am supposed to be getting as a donation from my brother...
I was hoping to spend no more than $175, but that was before I realized my RAM may be no good. So I'm rethinking now.

Thanks to all for the info.

wacki
12-27-2004, 02:19 AM
Newegg is the best for shopping.

Do you use you computer to listen to music? If so check out this motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-478&depa=1

It has a very good onboard soundcard. I know because I have 3 of those motherboards. Digital coaxial out is very nice if you are using a hi-fi sound system. All of the built in features in that motherboard will save you tons of $$$.

The sempron is more than enough power for what you are doing.

512 MB DDR ram should be good enough. You can always use task manager to see if you are running low. Goto www.slickdeals.net (http://www.slickdeals.net), techbargains, and dealslist.com and keep an eye on rebates for really cheap ram. Kingston, Micron, and Crucial are all good brand names. I have had horrible luck with PNY and their customer service sucks (try and find an e-mail address on their website), but some people like them.

Building a computer is easy. Once you know what to buy, the hardest part in clipping in heatsink ontop of the CPU. Just make sure you have the power off when swapping stuff in and out. And be carefull of static electricity as those circuits can be delicate.

BusterStacks
12-27-2004, 03:11 AM
yea you need new everything at that point. I can build one from scratch btw /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AngryCola
12-27-2004, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yea you need new everything at that point. I can build one from scratch btw /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]'

Dont get so high and mighty. So can I... and have.. several times. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AngryCola
12-27-2004, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Newegg is the best for shopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) is the place to go. You probably already know this, but they compile the prices from almost all online computer parts sellers.

NOTE- Looks like the site has been recently updated.
Great site. I use it all the time.

tj00
12-27-2004, 05:42 AM
I used pricewatch in the past but now shop at newegg exclusively. Their prices will be competitive with any other site on the net. It is nice to order and receive all your stuff at the same time. They get their shipments out promptly and have a reliable return system. I recommend it to anyone shopping for computer needs.

AngryCola
12-27-2004, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend it to anyone shopping for computer needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

As do I. Newegg usually has very good prices and is definitely a quality site.

wacki
12-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Pricewatch is unbeatable if you are looking for the best prices (without using rebates). Newegg.com has great prices and the service/shipping speed is damn near flawless. If you want the absolute best prices and you are willing to do rebates slickdeals, dealslist, techdeals, techbargains is the way to go. If you shop there you can consistently find deals like

Seagate 160GB HD $50AR, 200GB $70AR

Various XBOX, PS2, GC Games $15 shipped (Zelda, Metroid etc)

Belkin Wireless-G Broadband Router Free after $60MIR

You can't beat that.

jakethebake
12-27-2004, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So what I want to know is what's the minimum I should get?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the wrong way to look at this. What you should be asking is, "What's the most I can afford?" That's what you should get. If you go with the minimum for now, then you'll be doing this all over again in a year.

AngryCola
12-27-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you go with the minimum for now, then you'll be doing this all over again in a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true.

wacki
12-27-2004, 11:55 AM
I would recommend buying the best motherboard you can find.

For your use, 32 bit processing is going to be enough. So whatever the best Asus socket A mobo is will do just fine. I don't recommend going all out on the CPU. Getting a decent chip now is fine. If you have a good motherboard it's too easy to swap out chips later on. When you can by a AMD 2500+ for $70 you can't go wrong. That is enough power to play Halflife 2 and Doom 3, and it is a lot more than you will need for poker, e-mail, surfing, etc.

AMD prices (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=343&DEPA=1&submit=property &mfrcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=6355 )

Unless you have an AMD compatible heatsink, go with a retail set.

For Ram get a 512 MB stick. Don't get 2x256 MB sticks. The single 512MB will allow you to upgrade easily in the future simply by sticking another stick in your mobo.

1 mobo, 1 512 MB Ram, 1 AMD 2500+ CPU, 1 heatsink should be around $210. Unless you are gaming, this machine will last a long time.

The nice thing about the asus board is it has Asus probe. It monitors the voltage comming out of your powersupply. Sour power is the #1 reason for RAM and several other forms of hardware failure.

BradleyT
12-27-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my exact setup at home (except i have the 2600 in one computer and the 2500 in another).

AncientPC
12-27-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]'

Dont get so high and mighty. So can I... and have.. several times. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I've been doing it since I was 11, everybody and their mom can build a computer these days.

I'd suggest using Newegg for everything. I used to use PriceWatch but got tired of cheapo vendors screwing me over. If you do choose to use PriceWatch don't forget www.resellerratings.com. (http://www.resellerratings.com.)

nothumb
12-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Ha, I so have you beat. I've got an old Dell Inspiron 7000 (great CPU when I bought it... in 1998 /images/graemlins/blush.gif ) with a P2 processor, 128 megs of RAM, 9 gig hard drive.

I'm about to buy a new CPU but wonder if this assembling one from scratch idea is better. I wouldn't be able to do it myself but have a friend who would do it for free and is pretty savvy.

I was looking at getting an Emachines, the new one with 160 GB HD, DVD burner, 512 megs of RAM, etc. Can you beat this for 600 bucks by building one from scratch?

NT

AncientPC
12-27-2004, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at getting an Emachines, the new one with 160 GB HD, DVD burner, 512 megs of RAM, etc. Can you beat this for 600 bucks by building one from scratch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily.

jdl22
12-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Check out this system (http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64549&highlight=)I posted on the Motherboards.org forum.

You would need a bigger hard drive but otherwise it fits the bill and is certainly better than the emachines.

wacki
12-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Ya NoThumb, I highly recommend building. If you need any advice I'd be happy to help.

Check out this CrAzY computer.

http://www.zapwizard.com/lanpc/lights/Angle2.jpg

http://www.zapwizard.com/lanpc/FinalShots/All.JPG

http://www.zapwizard.com/lanpc/HighRes/All-Night-SML.jpg

http://www.zapwizard.com/lanpc/FinalShots/Above.jpg

http://www.zapwizard.com/lanpc/HighRes/Headphones-SML.jpg

http://www.zapwizard.com/lanpc/HighRes/Keyboard-Night-sml.jpg

CrazyEyez
12-27-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the wrong way to look at this. What you should be asking is, "What's the most I can afford?" That's what you should get. If you go with the minimum for now, then you'll be doing this all over again in a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But my bankroll is still in its infancy, so it's just a matter of how much/little I want to pull out of it.

Regarding the mobo my bro is giving me, "it uses 32-bit 1066mhz RDRAM, but I have a
512mb stick for you."
My bro rulez.

There's a 2.4GHz/800MHz FSB w/ hyperthreading on newegg for $135. I'll probably go with that.

kenberman
12-28-2004, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I agree with this.

Poster said he was looking for
[ QUOTE ]
multitabling + IE + winamp + wmp + outlook + PT etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

whose hardware/software requirements shouldn't be changing too drastically in the near future.

stinkypete
12-28-2004, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]'

[/ QUOTE ]

...and i can beat the $0.02/$0.04 game at poker stars ...which is far more of an accomplishment :P

AngryCola
12-28-2004, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

...and i can beat the $0.02/$0.04 game at poker stars ...which is far more of an accomplishment :P

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. While it is easy to build a computer, I can be asleep and still beat those games.

stinkypete
12-28-2004, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. While it is easy to build a computer, I can be asleep and still beat those games.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're a poker superstar.