PDA

View Full Version : Big loss, confidence included

4ever
12-26-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm new to the site but have learned a lot from the forums. I have a question for anyone who might have been in the situation and I think there will be quite a few of you. I have an outstanding record at a game that I frequently play. Its probably smaller stakes than most are used to but I'm trying to build a bank roll without exceeding the recommended requirements. I've been playing this $40.00 max buy in no limit game and out of about 16 sessions, I've lost once...and only $40 because I got up after not feeling at the top of my game that day. I took my whole bank roll to the card room this weekend with the intention of grinding it out and having enough at the end of the session to buy in at least twelve times at the next game up, I lost. I would play and do well and a bad beat would break me. This happened over and over and I'm not used to it. I guess I tilted and made a bad decision to play at the $100.00 game anyway (with three buy ins, showing a complete lack of discipline) and I lost the rest of my bank roll that I had been building for who knows how long. I have lost a good level of the confidence that I believe was enabling me to be so selectively aggressive before and this has sparked my question. I'm wondering how likely one might think it is that my winning streak was just a good run of luck, and that my skills aren't what they need to be in order to play long sessions. The sessions when I was playing the lower game this weekend, were much longer than those that I play normally...the winning ones. This post became long winded and I apologize, but any feedback from one who might have been here before would be appreciated.

stinkypete
12-26-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would play and do well and a bad beat would break me.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is true, you have nothing to worry about in terms of how you play.

your bankroll management could probably use some work though.

Damn_Squirrels
12-27-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't play NL, so I can't offer much in terms of game advice. As far as confidence goes, I seem to be among the minority around here who didn't take $10 and turn it into $3K in two months. (Kidding of course).

I've 'only' been playing seriously for about 6 months. It took about $1,000 of Party reloads before I really felt comfortable and in control of my game. Some things clicked for me a few weeks ago and I've made back all of the 'learning investment' up to that point.

Until I saw results, my confidence was only in my ability to learn. Now, I do have a small bit of confidence in actual ability, but I know there's more to learn than I first thought!

I would be interested in hearing what more vets have to say, but I really have a longer-term approach to developing skeels and in the interim just let the confidence grow with every pot taken down.

In some ways, having my 'confidence' shattered was when I learned the most. You might play timid/loose/stupid/etc. for a week while your head is spinning, but as long as you can learn from mistakes...your mistakes will make you better in the long run.

J

Bluffoon
12-27-2004, 03:27 PM
You just made your first mistake. Congratulations and get used to it. If you continue to pursue a poker career you will make plenty more. If you toughen up, welcome your mistakes,learn from them, become a student of the game, then you will have a long and successful poker career.

Boltsfan1992
12-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Hiya -

Bad beats happen...the more you play, the better you play, the more the "beats" will happen to you - it's a hard lesson to learn, but an important one. People will gamble and get lucky and so will you. However, getting the money in when you have the best of it is all you can do and that is one of two things you have control over (the other thing is the control of your emotions). The rest is random chance.

Another skill in poker, that could be directly related to your play, is the discipline to recognize when your feelings are outweighing your judgment. Playing a game higher than your bankroll or your tolerance for potential loss is not advised, especially after taking bad beats. Slow and steady wins the race.

PB