PDA

View Full Version : Granny got $200 for such sillyness?!?!

MicroBob
12-26-2004, 02:50 PM
I admit. It did make me laugh.
But it kind of scares me that someone can get paid to write something so silly.

Then again, I guess Dave Barry pretty much does the same thing.

B1GF1SHY
12-26-2004, 04:23 PM
You beat me to making this post. If a person can get $200 for making an 'article' like this than good for them, free money, right?

However, I think that the webspace should be used up by something a little more useful.

Wayfare
12-26-2004, 08:16 PM
I sold all my secrets and all I get is this lousy check...

GrannyMae
12-27-2004, 12:12 AM
You beat me to making this post. If a person can get $200 for making an 'article' like this than good for them, free money, right?

wooooo

FREE MONEY!!

jealous?

However, I think that the webspace should be used up by something a little more useful.

you mean like this post?

lighten up fishYhead. it is a humor column.

wanna submit one?

send to
masonmalmuth@twoplustwo.com

then take your teeth out and get a condom ready. the submission alone was not enough in my case, but i did get the $200.

B1GF1SHY
12-27-2004, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you mean like this post?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between posting on a forum and having an article in an internet magazine.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well then try to make it humorous next time. I had a hard time deciding what to read, your 'humor column' or the daily spam posted on these boards, both were equally funny.

ZootMurph
12-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I thought it was very humorous, and a nice touch to the Magazine as a whole. I also think it makes a point that everyone seems to have missed... don't take everything so dam seriously...

Thanks for the laughs, Granny.

DavidC
12-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Could someone please explain to me what "half-kill" means?

AngryCola
12-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi Fish,

I am anxiously awaiting your humor column. Can we expect to see your brilliant comedic mind in the next issue? If not, I suggest you lighten up.

B1GF1SHY
12-28-2004, 12:39 PM
I didn't say I had a brilliant comedic mind, but neither does Granny. Me lighten up? Never! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GrannyMae
12-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the laughs, Granny.

my pleasure. thanks for "getting it"

when miss manners writes an advice column about proper salad forks, and is published next to an extensive political essay (or whatever), it is not to be judged against the serious work. the idea of the ask granny column is simply to try and inject some humor, and should not be looked at in the same vein as the poker articles that the authors did extensive work on.

regardless, other than FiSHyStickBreath and Thomastem, i have had very good feedback. considering the sources of these 2 critiques, i'm not too concerned. granny has the thickest skin on these boards, so this thread never bothered me anyway, but i did want to let you guys know that:
1. it should be taken as it was presented (simple humor)
2. submitting columns is open to all, and i would love to see more humor. therefore i *really* do encourage more people to give it a go.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/creator.gif

as far as whether everyone thinks it is funny or not, that's just personal preference and it would be impossible to please everyone.

GrannyMae
12-28-2004, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could someone please explain to me what "half-kill" means?

[/ QUOTE ]

kill games explanation (http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/chapter13-14.php)

DavidC
12-28-2004, 02:20 PM
That's the craziest thing I've ever seen.

Thanks, Granny. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mason Malmuth
12-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi Granny:

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
regardless, other than FiSHyStickBreath and Thomastem, i have had very good feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

And more important, you still have a job. Just make sure to get your article in on time.

Best wishes,
Mason

Demana
12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

then take your teeth out and get a condom ready. the submission alone was not enough in my case, but i did get the $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Keep it up GrannyMae!

Zeno
12-28-2004, 11:20 PM
A barfly or low-limt hold'em player will easily plow through $200 in one session, to put the amount of money in perspective. It's not a wad of cash that will last to anyone with any sort of imagination or zest for life.

Granny's article was not bad. I give it a B-. You can't expect James Thurber quaility humor in a 2+2 magazine so use some common sense on this. The whole question and answer or 'answer to letters' etc is an old, but solid, ploy in the humor racket. For example, Thurber's 'The Pet Department' Q's and A's are great, as is his 'File and Forget' article about accidentally receiving a book tilted Grandma Was a Nudist .

I suggest you check the above out for some top-notch humor.

-Zeno

PS. I suppose I will now have to submit something. If for no other reason than to eclipse Granny, though in which direction remains to be seen.

Fishwhenican
12-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Go Granny GO!!!!
I loved the column
Almost as good as Rick Diesel's Trip Reports!
Keep up the good work!
Hey, are you married???

Grisgra
12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
I highly approve of silliness, and also highly approve of wacky advice columns. (For instance, check out the PuppetLady at eatymeaty.com, then click "Advice". Now THAT is a column . . . )

Unfortunately, this rates only about a '6' on your standard BustAGut scale (which, as most good scales, ranges from 1-10). But hey, this was her first piece, and it had its moments. I expect it'll get better with time.

Grisgra
12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Comedy post of the year!

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1113057

GrannyMae
12-29-2004, 03:03 PM
I expect it'll get better with time.

i will certainly be working on making it better. also, mason's remark on getting the submission in on time was not in jest. with the ISOP and some family stuff and traveling, i was late. this lateness kept me from adding a few more questions that just may have been the jewel that would have even tickled fisHyfry's funny bone.

next month's theme will be poker related pink-eye, STD's and how to splash short.
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Freudian
01-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Look at it this way. Now you know what article not to read next time. It's a win/win situation since we won't hear you complaining about it in the future.

Freudian
01-05-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meanwhile in the 2+2 headquarters, Sklansky says to Malmuth "It was meant to be a humor column?".

axioma
01-05-2005, 10:09 AM
have to admit id much rather see a poker related article replacing the 'humour' one next month for sure.

if i want a laugh i read/watch something i find funny, if i want to sharpen my poker i read 2+2.

not to bash granny, jesus id take the $200 and run myself, but i hope something more usefull finds its way in next time.

BarronVangorToth
01-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Not everything has to be hardcore strategy and/or tactics.

There is something to be said for a humorous piece from time to time -- if EVERY article was a comedy piece, sure, I'd think that a bit much, but if Mason decides to have one or three every time ... is that a problem?

There's a reason for the cliche about laughter being the best medicine -- and it definitely brightened my morning when I read it.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

axioma
01-05-2005, 11:15 AM
its not a problem per se, but it does IMO make the magazine less interesting than it could otherwise be.

on the whole i think the magazine is a great idea, and im just offering some constructive critisism.

another improvment would be to select articles from more reputable writers; do i really want to read random person X's views on a certain topic, or would i rather read something from a more well known source? case in point: many of the articles that were 'printed' are fairly flawed in serveral areas as has been noted on this forum. we already have a place to post our thoughts (the forums), i would have hoped to read pieces from better known (and respected) authors.

BarronVangorToth
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
One thing that I noticed (and forgive me if this has already been a thread elsewhere) is that I was under the impression that every installment would have 5-6 articles ... and we got double.

ESPECIALLY when you take that into account -- not to mention: it's free -- even if there is an article or three you don't like, isn't the endeavor as a whole a great benefit to this community AND to each of us individually?

As far as the well-known status of writers, content generation is always an issue. In an off-topic kind of a thing, I am in charge of the WWE Raw Deal website for the game I designed, and I oftentimes get this exact same comment: why are the articles written by Guy A-C and not SuperGuys X-Z? We have big name players in our game (just as there are big names in poker) and whenever they want to write something, I'm all over it like a bum on a baloney sandwich, but normally, they can't be bothered.

Without speaking for Mason, I'm sure if he got an article by a Barry Greenstein, a Dan Harrington, a Paul Phillips, etc etc -- he'd publish it.

The problem, no matter what the genre, is that oftentimes the bigger the name, the less the time to actually take the time to write ... and, if they do, it might as well be on Chapter X in Book X that they are in the midst of producing.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Mason Malmuth
01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi axioma:

We want to give other writers a chance. Well known writers were once other writers starting out.

As for articles being flawed, that one of the purposes of this forum.

Best wishes,
Mason

Freudian
01-05-2005, 02:09 PM
It's brand new. It will take a while before everything slots neatly into place. Once the contributors/editors have a few issues behind them we can start discussing the magazines identity and what should/shouldn't be there.