PDA

View Full Version : Poker Chip question

SDA004
12-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Faux clay Dice chip vs. NexGen Edge Spot Chip (Las Vegas)

Without including the price differential, which chip is better? I've read some good things about both. Obviously the NexGen's look better, but I hear the Faux clay have the best feel and sound on the market.

Any thoughts?

TenPercenter
12-26-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... the NexGen's look better, but I hear the Faux clay have the best feel and sound on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have samples but what you said is exactly what I've heard many many times.

Ten

Jaquen H'gar
12-26-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Without including the price differential, which chip is better? I've read some good things about both. Obviously the NexGen's look better, but I hear the Faux clay have the best feel and sound on the market.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've handled both. The faux clay definitely sound the best (most clay-like). The Nexgen's don't sound bad, unlike 11.5 g's. The faux clay are boringly ugly. The Nexgen's look the best.

It's a tradeoff.

SDA004
12-27-2004, 12:31 AM
other than the sound...how do the nexgen's compare with the standard 11.5's?

SkittleBrau
12-27-2004, 02:39 AM
IMO the faux clay sound/feel alot better and they definitely are a lot less slippery (i.e. stack better). The nexgen look nicer (edge spots are a big plus for me) and should accept a label since the center is recessed. Maybe with labels they'd be less slippery?

Also, nexgen feel too heavy to me, while faux clay might be a bit too light.

Of course, the most useful thing I can suggest is to order 10 or so of each from somewhere and compare for yourself. I was just going through the process of trying to find chips and found it really helpful (ended up going with desert sands from nevada jacks).

Emmitt2222
12-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Skittlebrau, wow, greatest name I have ever seen on the forums and one of my most favorite Simpsons moments. The only question I have is have you really tried it because I most certainly have.

niagarapoker
12-27-2004, 01:23 PM
I don't think the nexgens are slippery at all. I just got some for my husband and put labels on them. They turned out great and I can easily stack them 75 high and they don't budge.

Jaquen H'gar
12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
other than the sound...how do the nexgen's compare with the standard 11.5's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not only do they sound better, less clinking, but they feel a lot better. Not a cheap plastic feel, more clay-like. Looks aren't even close, even without a label (mine have labels). The colored edge spots just look better.
Nexgen's take the nod over 11.5 in sound, feel, and looks. Added together, it means the 11.5's aren't close to the Nexgens in total.

As for slickness: my nexgens were somewhat slick until I added labels. Now they aren't at all.

I showed my local game players my nexgens and they went crazy over my "custom" chips.

That being said, I would favor the 10g faux except for how ugly they are. Appearace isn't everything but it sure counts for a lot. Pull the body off a Porsche and replace it with a Beetle's shell; you may have a Beetle that's fast and handles like a dream, but it's still a Beetle to everyone, not a Porsche.

SkittleBrau
12-29-2004, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Skittlebrau, wow, greatest name I have ever seen on the forums and one of my most favorite Simpsons moments. The only question I have is have you really tried it because I most certainly have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly, yes... but probably not the dumbest thing we did in college /images/graemlins/smile.gif It's funny how often people will start quoting to me from that episode when I play online.

niagarapoker
12-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Homer: "I'm feelin' low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?"

Apu: "Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it."

Homer: "Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles."

wingsfan
12-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Oh boy. We're gonna have to start a whole new thread if we're gonna get started on Simpsons quotes.