PDA

View Full Version : Reggie White dies of massive heart attack

Sponger15SB
12-26-2004, 12:18 PM
According to NFL Countdown. Nothing else as of yet.

CCx
12-26-2004, 12:20 PM
R.I.P. to one of the all-time great Philadelphia Eagles, he'll be missed.... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sponger15SB
12-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Holy [censored] Mike Golic just started crying on TV while taking about him with Chris Mortensen....that was chilling.

CCx
12-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Yea, i agree....very sad, Steve and Michael had tears in their eyes too but kept it together, same with Jaws - still very sad, really sucks and going to be a sad week here in Philly

WC64
12-26-2004, 02:13 PM
I dont remember him playing for the Eagles to much because I was pretty young but I do remember watching him with the Packers because that was my dad's favorite team. Definitely a sad day though.

I thought the last update they said it was because of sleep apnea instead of a heart attack.

ThaSaltCracka
12-26-2004, 11:06 PM
sad day for football.

Lazymeatball
12-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Didn't he piss a lot of people of one day by making comments about the attributes of different races? Anyone know whwere to find those?

jakethebake
12-27-2004, 09:47 AM
White's Comments on Race (http://www.skeptictank.org/white.htm)

mistrpug
12-27-2004, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't he piss a lot of people of one day by making comments about the attributes of different races? Anyone know whwere to find those?

[/ QUOTE ]

These comments were unfortunate but by no means malicious. He was trying to point out the good qualities in everyone but atually ended up insulting many people.

Reggie was a great player and a better person. Off the field, he as much for the people of Philadelphia as any other athlete ever. He surely will be missed.

jakethebake
12-27-2004, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These comments were unfortunate but by no means malicious. He was trying to point out the good qualities in everyone but atually ended up insulting many people.

Reggie was a great player and a better person. Off the field, he as much for the people of Philadelphia as any other athlete ever. He surely will be missed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. That's why I used the phrase "comments on race" rather than "racist comments". They might mean the same thing (depending on definition), but one carries a much more negative implication, which I don't believe was in the spirit of the comments made.

ThaSaltCracka
12-27-2004, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think those comments represented how he truely was. He was one of the few players I liked when I was younger(as well as Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson).

Wow, this is sort of strange for me too, my mom has sleep apnea.

pc in NM
12-27-2004, 03:59 PM
I think those comments, as ill-advised as they were. hurt Reggie White more than they hurt anyone else....

He virtually lost any chance of a carrer as a sports commentator becuase of those comments. He is reputed to have greatly regretted them in later years, according to an ESPN reporter who interviewed him last week.

He was also reportedly in depression recently, and reportedly stopped working out, partly due to his lack of connection with any other sports activity....

By all accounts he was a genuinely warm person who lived by his beliefs and had the courage of his convictions - there are a lot of worse things to be than that....