View Full Version : Hendrix or Zeppelin?

dr. klopek
12-26-2004, 08:52 AM

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-26-2004, 11:57 AM
both, but zepplin has 100% cuts. well, 99%.

dr. klopek
12-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Not just saying both is the whole point. I only favor Zeppelin in this argument while actually listening to them. The Jimi Hendrix Experience is one of the 3 greatest bands ever. Led Zeppelin is merely top 4.

ChoicestHops
12-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Led Zeppelin.

Non_Comformist
12-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Neither

Stork
12-26-2004, 04:59 PM
This dispute was not meant to be settled by mortals.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-26-2004, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not just saying both is the whole point. I only favor Zeppelin in this argument while actually listening to them. The Jimi Hendrix Experience is one of the 3 greatest bands ever. Led Zeppelin is merely top 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it? 1 2 or 3 and why?

dr. klopek
12-26-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is it? 1 2 or 3 and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

1)The Beatles (sort of obligatory based on sample size and sheer volume of genius.)
2)Rage Against The Machine (of course, a matter of preference, based on their influence on me, the fact that no one kicks nearly as much ass and the experience of having seen them.)
3)Jimi Hendrix (wrote some of the best songs there are, totally rocks, and absolutely wails on the guitar.)

Then comes Led Zeppelin, whose reasons would read a lot like Hendrix', but just don't quite have the soul that he does.

bholdr
12-26-2004, 09:05 PM
it takes the collective talent of bonham, page, plant, and that other guy to even approach the genius that was Jimi Hendrix. throw in the band of gypsies (live at fillmore east, new years 1969, greatest live rock recording ever, imo) and there is no comparison. I've seen Zep (w/o bonham, but with a full symphony), the Dead (w/ jerry), Floyd, Bob dylan, the stones, and many others, and i would trade them all to hear jimi live.

his childhood home is about to be razed. shame.

ThaSaltCracka
12-26-2004, 09:09 PM
I choose Jimmy because I have never really heard anything by Zeppelin, weird eh?

Plus, what does it say when a poll is one man versus a complete band and its as close as it is?

deacsoft
12-26-2004, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I choose Jimmy because I have never really heard anything by Zeppelin, weird eh?

Plus, what does it say when a poll is one man versus a complete band and its as close as it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose Jimmi, but just so you know there were two white guys in the band as well (drummer, bassist).

jagoff
12-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Jimi Page v. Jimmy Hendrix- NO CONTEST Jimmy

Jimmy Hendrix v. Robert Plant- NO CONTEST Robert

Jimmy's backing band v. Bonham and Jones- NO CONTEST Bonham and Jones

Winner- Led Zep

SomethingClever
12-26-2004, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1)The Beatles (sort of obligatory based on sample size and sheer volume of genius.)
2)Rage Against The Machine (of course, a matter of preference, based on their influence on me, the fact that no one kicks nearly as much ass and the experience of having seen them.)
3)Jimi Hendrix (wrote some of the best songs there are, totally rocks, and absolutely wails on the guitar.)

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Beatles. Duh.

2) Nirvana

3) Hendrix

4) Weezer

5) Zeppelin

6) The Clash

7) Rancid

SomethingClever
12-26-2004, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jimi Page v. Jimmy Hendrix

[/ QUOTE ]

You got yer Jimis and Jimmys crossed.

Stork
12-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Beatles are possibly the most overrated band ever, next to maybe Nirvana.

SomethingClever
12-26-2004, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beatles are possibly the most overrated band ever, next to maybe Nirvana.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, I couldn't disagree more.

The most overrated band ever is Rush. Who likes Rush?

Leo99
12-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Zep were more complete covering a larger range of music. Hendrix' voice wasn't all that great. I haven't studied his music but he only seemed to play one style of guitar. And what great songs did he write? Plus he doesn't get extra points just cause he's . Zep 1, Zep 2, Zep 3, Zep 4 or whatever you want to call it, Physical Graffitti. All classics. Sqeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg. They may not have written it, but they made it famous!

Paluka
12-27-2004, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Beatles. Duh.

2) Nirvana

3) Hendrix

4) Weezer

5) Zeppelin

6) The Clash

7) Rancid

[/ QUOTE ]

I know music is a personal preference etc, but Rancid? The first 6 bands are recognized as having a lot of talent even by people who don't particulary care for their music. I don't think Rancid comes anywhere near passing that test.

bugstud
12-27-2004, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) Beatles. Duh.

2) Nirvana

3) Hendrix

4) Weezer

5) Zeppelin

6) The Clash

7) Rancid

[/ QUOTE ]

I know music is a personal preference etc, but Rancid? The first 6 bands are recognized as having a lot of talent even by people who don't particulary care for their music. I don't think Rancid comes anywhere near passing that test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that one was about ready to induce vomiting, as is RATM at #2 on a list. No offense to personal preference, but I just don't see it.

Stork
12-27-2004, 02:52 AM
I refuse to recognize that the following bands from the list have "alot of talent":
Nirvana
Weezer
The Clash
Rancid

And this is not based on personal listening preference. (For what it's worth, I like Nirvana and Weezer but don't consider them particularly talented.)

SomethingClever
12-27-2004, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Rancid comes anywhere near passing that test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever actually listened to them?

SomethingClever
12-27-2004, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to recognize that the following bands from the list have "alot of talent":
Nirvana
Weezer
The Clash
Rancid

And this is not based on personal listening preference. (For what it's worth, I like Nirvana and Weezer but don't consider them particularly talented.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing: Maybe they're not guitar gods, but I define musical talent as creating innovative music that sounds good. It doesn't have to be technically superior in any way.

zephed56
12-28-2004, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it takes the collective talent of bonham, page, plant, and that other guy to even approach the genius that was Jimi Hendrix. throw in the band of gypsies (live at fillmore east, new years 1969, greatest live rock recording ever, imo) and there is no comparison. I've seen Zep (w/o bonham, but with a full symphony), the Dead (w/ jerry), Floyd, Bob dylan, the stones, and many others, and i would trade them all to hear jimi live.

his childhood home is about to be razed. shame.

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly Jimi Hendrix is the more proficient guitarist, but Jimmy Page was way ahead of Jimi in songwriting ability.
It's not even close. And that's not factoring Jones or Bonzo in.

I'm an enormous fan of Hendrix, btw.

dr. klopek
12-28-2004, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Page was way ahead of Jimi in songwriting ability.
It's not even close. And that's not factoring Jones or Bonzo in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you're lookin for some 18 minute song in in 13/5 or something. (This makes it sound like I don't like Page which is completely false, you know...devil's advocate and whatnot.)

When you factor in Bonham and Jones, well, it's still Hendrix. Says a lot doesn't it?

I believe someone over the course of this thread compared the singing abilities of Hendrix/Plant. Hendrix may not be the best of singers around, but at least he never hurts my ears. And he also has only cool lyrics about travelling by dragonfly and [censored]. Page is always talking about Lord of the Rings. Led Zeppelin would have been better with Janis Joplin instead.