PDA

View Full Version : 3rd in chips but shortstacked, how to play?

Lloyd
12-26-2004, 03:48 AM
I find this situation coming up quite a bit in $109 and $215 SNGs. You're among the chip leaders but because the blinds are so large you are also technically shortstacked (less than 10XBB). I understand that the amount of your raise can be less than 3XBB because everyone is shortstacked, but my guess is it will still be a close decision between pushing and making a normal raise. So, how do you adjust your strategy since you you're in a decent position versus others? Do you narrow the range of hands you play but push those hands to the max?

ChrisV
12-26-2004, 03:58 AM
This is an incredibly general question so I can't really provide an answer. I just wanted to point out that you still always raise allin with less than 10BB, no matter what the blinds are.

bugstud
12-26-2004, 04:08 AM
e.g.

200/400 level

5 handed

You are UTG with 88 and 2500, rest are:

Lloyd
12-26-2004, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
e.g.

200/400 level

5 handed

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. This is exactly what I'm talking about and I'm sure those that play higher SNGs experience this all the time, and often with 7 or 8 players left at Level 4.

And you don't ALWAYS raise all-in with less than 10XBB. In my experience, in SNGs where everyone is shortstacked, you can often raise 2-2.5XBB and because it's such a large percentage of player's stacks it has the same affect as a larger raise but gives you some room to fold if you choose to. You could also raise less when you have hands that you want action with.

betgo
12-26-2004, 10:41 AM
I would definately push, particularly with a hand like 88. You don't want the large stacks to use your fear of busting out of the money against you.

If I had a big pair, I might limp or miniraise, hoping a big stack would try to steal the pot from me. It depends on the table: if I thought limp or miniraise would look suspicious, I might just push.

ChrisV
12-26-2004, 11:49 AM
The situation above is an easy push.

You pretty much do always raise allin with less than 10BB. Raising less when the blinds are large is bad because the folds you make will very often be wrong and the opponents will be more likely to reraise if they think there's a chance you'll fold (as compared to calling your allin where there's no chance). The exception, as you say, is when you have a monster hand, but even then I tend not to vary my usual allin.

Lloyd
12-26-2004, 02:46 PM
First, the reason why I say you don't ALWAYS push is mostly because I think that absolute rules in poker aren't good. You should USUALLY push but there are exceptions.

What I'm really trying to go after is how do you adjust your game when you're short stacked but are still at the top of the chip leaders. Let's just assume that you'll push. Are you going to adjust your opening standards because you're not as desperate as some others? If you get 66 UTG 7-handed (where everyone is shortstacked), will you push? If not, what will you push with?

Scorpion Man
12-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Am I the only one who would consider folding this hand UTG? If you get called you are 50/50 if lucky and 20/80 if unlucky. SOmetimes a small pair will call, but I would think a big pair would call much more often than a small pair. Blinds are ugly enough that the shorter stacks are going to get desperate and fast.

I agree with pushing from button or small blind here. Any maybe as second to act. But UTG I might tighten up and wait. There is a pretty good chance people will be gone by the time you have to post your BB the second time from now.

If I am shorter stacked or not UTG I push.

I await the flame.

ChrisV
12-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Saying if you were shorter stacked youd push doesnt make any sense - if you were 1700 would you push? But the only time it matters that you aren't 1700 is when the 3000 stack calls you, because all the rest are equal to or smaller than that.

There's no way I'm folding a hand like 88 when the blinds represent 1/4 of my stack.

Scorpion Man
12-27-2004, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Saying if you were shorter stacked youd push doesnt make any sense - if you were 1700 would you push? But the only time it matters that you aren't 1700 is when the 3000 stack calls you, because all the rest are equal to or smaller than that.

There's no way I'm folding a hand like 88 when the blinds represent 1/4 of my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might not be right but i disagree it makes no sense -- point is not how much it takes someone to call - most of my opponents are in allin mode - the point is i have enough chips to have some staying power and they dont. if i have 1300 chips i dont have any staying power in this context

i dont think its as obvious to push as you suggest.
not necessarily wrong, but not a no brainer.

there are TONS of hands that are at least a coin flip to 88. and when others are this short stacked you are going to get called by them with that many people left to act.

triplc
12-27-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
e.g.

200/400 level

5 handed

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation, it's an easy push in my opinion. The only stack you fear is the 3100, and he's not likely to tangle with you because he will be crippled if he loses.

If one of the other stacks calls, they are putting all of their chips at risk for a 50/50 shot, unless you get terribly unlucky and they have 99 or above.

88 is a pretty good hand...what would you do if you change the 88 to 33, or A7s?

Play well,

CCC