PDA

View Full Version : On the bubble & big stack, do you call allin bet against 2nd stack?

Scuba Chuck
12-26-2004, 02:49 AM
I am the Big stack and BB. UTG is the second stack and goes allin. If UTG had a big hand he would have raised a smaller amount, so I read this as a medium pocket pair like 6s thru 9s at best.

I am dealt AK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Is this a good time to be patient and wait for ITM? wait for something else? Is this a leak?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t3450)
UTG (t1910)
Button (t1720)
SB (t920)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1910 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t1510.

Flop: (t4020) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t4020) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t4020) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4020

Villain had pocket 2s

texasrattlers
12-26-2004, 03:04 AM
I call this every time.

[ QUOTE ]
If UTG had a big hand he would have raised a smaller amount, so I read this as a medium pocket pair like 6s thru 9s at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

With BB 400 and 1700 in chips, I think all in is the only reasonable raise.

ilya
12-26-2004, 03:27 AM
Easy call.

I bet you'd never have posted this if Villain had had AQ.

Scuba Chuck
12-26-2004, 04:21 AM
Both good points. I've just lost too many of these hands lately, that it makes you kind of wonder if the coinflip is worth it on the bubble.

Would you consider not calling weak tight?

ilya
12-26-2004, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you consider not calling weak tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO not calling is simply bad.
You've getting a nice overlay while most likely being a small/sizeable favorite over UTG's range of hands. The size of the blinds means that it can't be long before the small stack has to take a stand and one of two things happens: a, he's eliminated, and though you're now in the money, your ability to steal drops dramatically (&amp; perhaps you also lose your chip-leader status); b, he doubles through, leaving you to contend with three medium stacks, none of whom feel like they can wait out the two other players.
Plus, folding would give the guy to your left a very hefty stack, essentially making him co-chip leader. This would make it harder for you to play the bully.
Very clear call. Even the worst case scenario leaves you in good shape to make the money, and with a reasonable shot at winning.

Scuba Chuck
12-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Thanks, appreciate the response. Besides just the situation, perhaps I did't see the value that I should because I don't understand how to execute the concept of the bully yet.

Something to work on...

Scuba.