PDA

View Full Version : First Hand posting for Evaluation

Some_Guy
12-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Villain in this hand is TP-A per PT and Pokerview at time of the hand. No other hardcore read on him.

I know it doesn't look exciting but sometimes what looks to be straight forward isn't.

TIA

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

12-26-2004, 01:06 AM
When he calls you on the flop that concerns me. At best he has clubs..and your in dead water on the turn.

Anyways my hand looks like this.

Bet flop, check turn, Call a bet on the river or bet if checked to.

You betting that turn, made it VERY difficult to play.

W. Deranged
12-26-2004, 01:14 AM
This hand is very similar to a thread only about a page back on "common 3/6/ turn checkraise."

The point I made there is one I'll repeat here. In my opinion, in heads up pots which are not that very large, I think it is very often correct to fold to a river check-raise with an otherwise strong hand. Mathematically, if you call the turn check-raise you are pretty much committed to calling the river and you are doing so almost entirely based on the likelihood you have the best hand right there; your hand has very few outs against the obvious hands beating you --a Q or the flush. Therefore, calling the turn check-raise is the equivalent of wagering 2 BB to win 8.75, meaning you will need to be ahead almost 20% of the time in order to show a profit by calling.

In my experience (which is mostly in live games, not online, which is a not insignificant point) a turn check-raise is extremely transparent and almost always represents an obvious, close-to-nuts hand. In live games, I will often fold overpairs and TPTK to turn check-raises, particularly in small heads up pots.

In this hand, I think the point is doubly strong, because not only is the board paired with playing-zone cards (and players love to wait to check-raise the turn with flopped trips), but the obvious draw got there on the turn (the clubs).

So, I say just fold the turn, and don't worry too much because the pot was not huge. If a player is making a play on you, fine. Making check-raise bluffs heads up in a low limit game is going to be a long-term loser, and he'll give you your money back with stupid fancy plays in under an hour.

W. Deranged
12-26-2004, 01:18 AM
I actually like a turn bet here. He is very likely to be ahead against a worse A (which is a likely candidate for MP's hand), and the worse thing that could happen would be to allow another club to drop and end up losing to A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. As my other post suggests, I think that it is so easy to fold to a check-raise on this turn that a bet is pretty low risk. If you get check-raised, fold. If you get called, probably just show down if checked to or call one bet.

Clarkmeister
12-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Check the turn.

James282
12-26-2004, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate a turn check here. Against these sorts of players you can often fold to a turn check-raise, which costs the same amount as calling his river bet, all the while charging him an extra bet to see the river if he has a smaller ace and wants to suck out to a split on the river. I suppose you are arguing to take a free card for your two outer, but I think you are ahead enough to justify a turn bet.
-James