PDA

View Full Version : Question for IPOD users

Lmn55d
12-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Hey, do you guys know if there's any way to make the IPOD create menus based on your folder hierarchy. Like I have all my music sorted into folders by artist, but when I load it all into ITUNES I need to resort them which would take a long time. Thanks.

gaming_mouse
12-25-2004, 10:44 PM
I may be misunderstanding your question but...

Ipod (and Itunes) sort automatically based on ID3 tags (part of the .mp3 file itself) which contain info like song, artist, album, etc. If your files don't have the ID3 tags, or if they are incorrect, you can edit them manually in Itunes.

HTH,
gm

Lmn55d
12-25-2004, 10:53 PM
basically all my music was downloaded from the net and doesn't have complete id3 tags, so I was hoping to just create menus based on the folders they're stored in so that I dont have to edit thousands of tags.

gaming_mouse
12-25-2004, 11:07 PM
That will be hard.

If you know some scripting, you could probably write a script that would update the id3 tags based on the folder names.

Barring that, I'd post your question on one of the big ipod forums, like ipodlounge. Search google, there's another big forum too, I think it's called ipodding.

If that doesn't work, you might want to post on alt.hacker or a unix forum (you'd have to download cygwin).

Bottom line is: There is some way to do it, but how hard probably depends on your computer skills, as I'm fairly sure ipod/itunes don't support it directly.

HTH,
gm

citanul
12-26-2004, 02:25 AM
You can find tag rewriters, like Tagscanner, that will rename, or retag your mp3s based on their locatoin, file name, etc. One of those, or a combination of them, is probably what you need to find.

citanul

ronzoni
12-26-2004, 03:32 AM
post your question here (http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php) .

emonrad87
01-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Was this ghost-bumped by our former king, or has the old internet forums guy come over here?