PDA

View Full Version : Bad beats

Mobed
12-25-2004, 09:46 PM
How does one deal with bad beats in make or break situations? I at first get very mad (scream). I try to calm my self down but it never works. I only end up reliving the hand over and over. It affects my play afterwords, worst of all. I play SnG's btw.

The4Aces
12-25-2004, 09:48 PM
i get mad for like a second, then realize it happens to everyone.

AncientPC
12-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I realise that they pay me off in the long run.

I don't get mad unless it's a runner runner gutshot straight draw with bottomp pair (or even underpair), and then it only lasts for about one hand or so.

deadmunny
12-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Deep breaths, deep breaths FYI I played a $20/$2 PL at Party.

Was up about 1600 chips..... then got AA I raised, player goes ALL-IN I of course call he turns over JJ.

cards come X X J X X .

4 hands later I am put ALL-In with KK player turns over QQ cards come:

X X Q X X

and I am out of the tournament.... both bad beats but just realise that over the long run.............

regards D

Hack
12-26-2004, 09:54 PM
When I play online and suffer a bad beat or two, I just write nasty notes about the players who put them on me.

I asked this same question in the psychology forum a few days ago, and Dr. Schoonmaker said that my technique can be helpful.

drdre2001mm
12-27-2004, 04:44 PM
I yell "Bloddy Bad Beat!!" and no I'm not Austrailian.

Photoc
12-27-2004, 10:32 PM
I could have sworn a true bad beat is when you have a MONSTER hand beaten by a bigger one. Not a stinkin pair! LOL

I'm talking AA in the hole, Board AAKQJ and someone hits the Royal when you have quad A's, now thats a bad beat. Not OMG...My pair got beat by trips or even 2 pair!!! Now you see why everyone hates bad beat stories, lol. Beats happen, bad beats happen, but they only happen to you...remember that!

Freakin
12-27-2004, 10:56 PM
A bad beat is when you are a significant favorite to win and the underdog snatches victory from you. I don't know if 80/20 is quite enough...

Freakin

BAK
12-28-2004, 04:34 PM
I didn't think these were bad beats.

If you were beaten by J2o instead of JJ, I think that is a bad beat. If you were beaten by Q4o instead of QQ, I think that would be a bad beat.

You lost to hands that didn't have as good of a theoretical chance as yours did preflop, but they were good hands and it was reasonable for the people with them to play them.

I think to be a bad beat it has to be a mistake for the other player to have played the hand they played in the first place.

smoore
12-29-2004, 10:48 AM
My definition of a bad beat is where one player has a significant advantage and the other player sucks out on a later street. So, if you have AhAd and the board is AsQc2d8h, all the money goes in and then that magic Qs comes out on the river when your opponent holds QdQh... now THAT'S a bad beat!

Sounds like you had some tough beats, but not particularly "bad".

RydenStoompala
12-29-2004, 11:13 AM
If you cannot shake off a bad beat in 1 nanosecond, then stick with the nickel slots. You'll be much happier.

archmagi
12-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I'm getting used to those now. I only start kicking my computer after about the 10th bad beat in the same session.
Good thing that it doesn't happen very often.