PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or...

09-20-2001, 03:22 PM
...does anyone notice that when playing two tables at Paradise, it seems like the board on one table always hits your hand at the opposite table.

Now I know it's just an illusion, like always seeing quads, pounding the nut flush vs. a set on the turn to see the river pair the board EVERY fricking time, etc.

But still, it's pretty weird. I had Q5o unraised from the BB, and all of a sudden I see a board of 5-5-Q, my heart jumped a bit. Then I realized that it was on the table where I had raised with AJs from the button, and I was facing an overcall decision. So I fold, go back to the other table where the board has come jack-high rags. Doh.

This happened a dozen times to some degree. Again, I know it's my imagination, and excuse me if this has been brought up here before, but I just thought it was mildly amusing.

09-20-2001, 04:16 PM
I've noticed this too between Ultimate Bet and Paradise.

It happens between Planet and Paradise too.

Like I'd have Q8o on Paradise, fold. And on Planet Poker, the flop would be 888. Stuff like that happens ALL the time.

There's some conspiracy going on I tell you.

- Tony =)

09-20-2001, 05:28 PM
this is something i have noticed, it very often happens that the board on the other game would help my hand in this game big time.

i cant think of any reason other than that i pay no attention to the other board if it doesnt help me so it seems more often.

09-20-2001, 06:06 PM
Here is the explanation.

Your starting two cards are "seeing" twice as many flops... When the board helps them on the table to which they belong, you play them... and take no notice towards this theory.

When the other board helps those cards you think "wow.... I wish that had happened over here!!" Thus feeding the illusion of inconsistancy.... take notes about how often specific starting hands receive help from boards 1 and/or 2... you will find the numbers to be perfectly even...

Hope I didn't ruin the fun of the scary movie.. ;-)

index

09-20-2001, 11:10 PM
It's the poker gods taunting us all, i see the same thig all the time.

09-26-2001, 02:21 PM
This is to be expected as you have 2 additional cards in the deck to give you a pair, a set or a flush. The effect is, that esp. hard hits like quads or fullhouse are a *lot* more likely. Only straights should go down in probability.

cu

Ignatius