PDA

View Full Version : PP play money.

09-20-2001, 10:19 AM
Is playing "play money" poker a good idea? Are there any benefits? thanks

09-20-2001, 12:01 PM
I messed around with it for awhile, but I don't think it does any good. If you have a decent grasp on hold'em, along with discipline and patience, go ahead with real money. The play money tables will pay you off with just about any hand because there's nothing to lose but meaningless chips. I watch, but haven't yet ventured into the $3-$6 games, to get a grasp on just how different it is. I suggest you do the same. The real money $3-$6 game is more often than not heads up before the flop. I play in live $3-$6 games that resemble the $0.50-$1 games on paradise. The level of play online far surpasses the quality of live play in my area. The play is far trickier and aggressive online. You will also suffer many horrible beats, betting your top pair/top kicker all the way, only to be check raised on the end by some chump who called you down with 9-2 suited and caught the runner runner flush on the river. Be prepared for some variance. It can be incredibly frustrating, so keep your emotions out of your poker. If you find yourself getting pissed off about the hands you're getting or all of the crazy suckouts you're being victimized by, stop playing until you can get it under control. Tilt is far easier to succumb to online. Beware.