PDA

View Full Version : Two pair on the flop (5$+.5 SnG stars)

guppi
12-25-2004, 07:37 PM
I just don't know what to make of this.

This is a 5+.5 buyin on stars, blinds were 15/30 still. I was sitting on 3rd stack with 2000 chips. I don't know if a read is really necessery, but my observation was that SB limped with pretty much anything, but was hitting a lot and was the high stack with something like 4000 chips.

I'm UTG+1 with KQs, I raise to 60, all fold except SB.

Flop comes: KQ9

I bet 300, SB raises me 600. I call. Turn is blank. SB goes all in, which I call. River comes with a 9.

Where would you have made a different play? I'm not so concerned about my preflop raise, but what about my betting on the flop? I just wasn't convinced he was sitting on KK or QQ. Should I even be playing this aggressive with the blinds still low? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Results, if anyone cares: He had K9

partygirluk
12-25-2004, 08:28 PM
i) Don't raise preflop
ii) Don't disguise bad beat stories as strategy posts.

guppi
12-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Saw this coming.

I've seen you here since you started posting and you tend to be an [censored]. If I make a post, just skip it. I don't value your input or want to see your troll posts. I'm trying to get something out of this forum - please don't wreck it for me. Thanks.

TT_fold
12-25-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saw this coming.

I've seen you here since you started posting and you tend to be an [censored]. If I make a post, just skip it. I don't value your input or want to see your troll posts. I'm trying to get something out of this forum - please don't wreck it for me. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you're the troll. What kind of strategy advice were you looking for? Obviously getting all your money in against an opponent's 2 outer is a coup for you.

As pokergirl/guy said, don't disguise bad beat posts as strategy posts. You're on your way to becoming the next desdia /images/graemlins/mad.gif

guppi
12-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I have no idea who desdia is/was whatever. Of course, the bad beat made me analyze this hand more than I would have. Posting results was definetly not a good idea, I apologize, if it would let me edit it out I would. The real question of this hand is whether or not that was an okay call given the margin of hands available.

I've played very few SnG's and this was one of my first.
Two pair on the flop is a confusing hand for me. I know it gets drawed out on oftenly.

partygirluk
12-25-2004, 09:44 PM
I will reply to what I want to. You can use the "ignore user" feature if you do not want to read my reply.

You say "I'm trying to get something out of this forum - please don't wreck it for me."

I am helping you. You will get nothing out of posts like you just made.

- Don't include results
- You got your money in when he was drawing to a 2 outer. Anyone knows that this is generally a good thing in Hold 'Em. The fact that a 9 came was irrelevant to the merit of your play. But it was relevant to the fact you posted it here, and wasted my time.
- You should mention whether the flop was rainbow or not.
- You should not be worried about KK or QQ with this hand, you should be worried about JT.

The reason you might think I am an ass is because I DO want to get a lot out of them. I want to read quality posts, and the analysis that comes from them. Your post is just a sob story.

david050173
12-26-2004, 02:39 PM
You shouldn't be fearing KK or QQ. They probably would have reraised preflop. The hand you fear is JT or maybe 99.

Personally I don't make miniraises (early on at least). Bet 70-100. I am not sure about he huge flop bet either. I rarely bet more than the size of the pot on the flop. Once he raises you 600, you have to decide if you want to play this hand. If that 9 was something like a 6, I would feel a lot better about my hand.

texasrattlers
12-26-2004, 02:52 PM
You are probably going to lose all your chips on this hand no matter what, unless you fold PF. I normally fold PF w/ KQ early and out of position, but I will sometimes limp if I have accumulated some chips. No point in raising w/ KQ early. On the flop, I probbaly check-raise. Why did you just call his re-raise? This is an easy push. He probably calls anyway with so many chips in the pot, but there is a chance he folds and you have to believe you have the best hand at that point anyway.

ghostface
12-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Juat dont post the results and you wouldnt have gotten any of the crap about the bad beat story. Fold preflop. But since you didnt fold you have to push the flop. You are only behind 4 hands and he probably doesnt have KK or QQ, but 99 is a lot more likely than JT. Even against 99 and JT you have a 4 out redraw for a boat. You will win against K9 like 90% of the time.

Tough beat, get over it and keep playing, just dont play KQs in EP like that. If you must play it, raise more.

texasrattlers
12-26-2004, 04:43 PM
The point about the results I'm not too sure about. 90% of the hands posted are losing hands -- just human nature, if you won the hand no need to post, all is well. So you can assume he took a bad beat even without the results. I would like to see some posts of well played hands -- I learn more seeing how hands are played well than played poorly. There are a million ways to play hands poorly but only a few ways to play hands well.

nuclear500
12-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Levels 1 and 2 in the $5.50's (which is what I primarily play, occasionally I've sat at a $11) is pretty much a level where the only thing you even attempt to play outside of the blinds is 99-AA, AKs, AQs and KQs and when you do, never min-raise. Never-ever-ever. You should have made the bet 3-4 times the big bet.

Like the other poster said, being in an early position with that hand on Level 2 is not that great unless you are a true aggressor. I'm surprised it was headsup and all you did was min-raise - I guess BB had squat. Occasionally the tables get super tight. I've had that happen and its real easy to take the blinds down with your 39o.

When you flopped top two on that board and he min-raised you I would have pushed because you can't exactly min-raise him back, he'd probably call anyway and any other normal kind of reraise is essentially committing everything anyway.

This was your pot, he out drew you by playing bad cards. It happens a lot at the $5.50 level and thats why you rarely get involved in the early levels and when you do, you better hold the stuff.