PDA

View Full Version : % see the flop

09-19-2001, 04:58 PM
I was wondering what people think is a reasonable % for seeing the flop. Do you always just choose the table with the highest?

How about pot size? But, I guess the problem is players change so quickly and also the cards run hot and cold, so you can't really tell if it's the players or maybe everyone is getting great cards for the moment.

09-19-2001, 09:02 PM
I use several factors when selecting a table:

1. % see the flop

This is useful because it can give you a quick and dirty rough idea of how loose the table is. It isn't always accurate to the situation and can be downright misleading in some situations. It is a good starting point.

2. Pot Size

This is useful because it can give you an idea of how aggressive the table may be as well as a possible indication of looseness. I tend to migrate to tables with large pots even if the % see the flop isn't the highest. Tables like this tend to add more fluctuation to your bank roll, but can be profitable.

3. Hands/Hr

This is very useful. This gives me an idea of how quickly things are moving. I will rarely sit down at a table that has very high stats in 1 and 2 above but miserable low hands/hr. Sometimes I will, but many times you can make more money by taking the second place table that has twice as many hands per hour.

Those are just the basic stats you can easily see. That doesn't do it all for me. I have compiled notes and stats on many of the players at the limits I play and if two tables are in debate for me I will choose the table that has 2 or more players on my target list. These are people I know play a weak game and theoretically some of their money should flow to me.

Finally, everything else being totally equal between two tables, I will sit at the table that let's me sit in position 1 or 10 by the chip tray. That way I can just reach over and scoop extra chips when I run low. /images/wink.gif

Also, a note getting in line. Many times you'll get online and scout the tables. You'll find one or more that look good, but there is a line of 5+ people waiting to get on. Pay attention to who is waiting for a table. I suggest joining most all of lists in the limit you are interested it. Things change dynamically while you are in line. When you get to the front of the line for a "good" table, it very well could be about to change, especially if 3-5 people have cycled in during your wait. By joining all the lists you can opt of a table if it doesn't look good when it gets to your turn. Join each list individually, not as a group. This way you can pick and choose your tables.

Hope that helps.

--The Vegan