PDA

View Full Version : Is there any better way to protect this hand?

ewile
12-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

River: (9 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

cpk
12-24-2004, 11:22 PM
You're out of position to protect your hand, unfortunately. Nothing you can do.

Be careful about always folding the river on a hand like this. People will start bluffing, especially when the pot is this big.

Luv2DriveTT
12-24-2004, 11:25 PM
You played it perfectly. You must for this river against the average player, if they are supper loose players, then I'd still probably fold but I'd hate myself for doing it!

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Onaflag
12-25-2004, 02:01 AM
You didn't mention any reads and with or without them, you did what you could to protect your hand as asked. Your CR on the flop says, "Guess what guys? I have a lot more than TPTK here". But, whether they understood that or not is in question.

Turn: Good. What else can you do? Another CR would be dumb.

River: Check is fine, but here is where reads come in. What the heck is CO "calling" with? A baby flush? No way! My guess is he calls everything to the end. That leaves UTG+2. Maybe he has it and maybe he doesn't. Does he think you have a str8 and are now worried about the flush and decides to take a shot at you with whatever he missed?

I'm calling in this case. Your call closes the action and you still have a decent chance to win, unless you read differently, which I think is not the case here.

Onaflag...........

EDIT: I just noticed this is on SS. You might get asked to post these to Micro.

cold_cash
12-25-2004, 02:03 AM
I'd bet this flop.

JEM7VSBL
12-25-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know...without knowing the nature of the players at the table, i'd say that a check raise was the best play to cut down the pot odds for anyone drawing to the one card straight, and increase the pot size to redraw to the full house in case a bad card comes on the turn. this looks like a flop that hit at least someone, so i would be confident that it wouldn't get checked through.

JEM7VSBL
12-25-2004, 02:24 AM
also, one more point...in cases where the river brings a card that puts a possible flush or straight to a multiway pot, and you're first to act, do you bet out and fold to a raise(s), or do you check and determine your move based on the action? of course in a multiway pot, chances that your hand is beat are higher with people hanging around with their draws, but where do you draw the line on this?

cold_cash
12-25-2004, 03:05 AM
Anyone calling with a gutshot is making a mistake, whether he's calling one bet or two.

Besides, if the bet comes from the wrong place a check-raise won't do what you want it to do anyway. The check-raise on the flop didn't do anything to protect his hand, it just trapped everybody for two bets.

Luv2DriveTT
12-25-2004, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The check-raise on the flop didn't do anything to protect his hand, it just trapped everybody for two bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, it didn't protect his hand. But thats because there was no way of knowing who would bet the flop. If it was checked down and CO was the first person to bet, then the check-raise would protect his hand. But since it didn't pan out that way I still like the raise to grow the pot size. On a face card coordinated flop like this, a lot of players will have a piece of this flop... nothing wrong with a little raise from a better position. I like!

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Evan
12-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Bet the flop.

Getting it checked through will blow. Also, I'm not sure if you think you're protecting your hand here, but you're not. Once you check I'd check raise too, but not for protection since there are already 3 people that have put money in.

p.s. 1/2 hands go in micro

ewile
12-25-2004, 09:54 AM
sorry about posting this in the wrong forum
FWIW, UTG + 2 had A5o for the straight
co had AK. This guy was generally aggressive pre-flop but for some reason limped this time.
Thanks for the feedback.

Evan
12-25-2004, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry about posting this in the wrong forum

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a problem

Schizo
12-26-2004, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

Getting it checked through will blow. Also, I'm not sure if you think you're protecting your hand here, but you're not. Once you check I'd check raise too, but not for protection since there are already 3 people that have put money in.

p.s. 1/2 hands go in micro

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a 5 player flop with nothing below a ten. You don't check raise in fear of it being checked through?